Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebags Secured

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saddlebags Secured

Read a bunch of threads on how to remove the quick disconnect fittings for the Ultra Classic saddlebags. Interesting how you really can just pop those things off from the inner side with a small screwdriver. If anyone hasn't done this.. it's an easy mod. All I did was get a (4) 1 " carriage bolts... some washers and cap head nuts. The quick clips come off easily and the carriage bolts slide right in from the frame side. I'll sleep better knowing some jackass can't simply remove my saddlebags with the factory clips using a screwdriver. Total cost was around $5..

Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Aleslinger
Tourer

I did about the same thing. I used a clevis pin and washers with a hitch pin clip or hair pin clip, for a real quick disconnect. For a cleaner look, usa a grinder to trim and smooth the extra pin on the inside of the bag. I got everything at Lowes for cheap in the nuts and bolts section. I do not fear some J-Hole taking my bags or that they will fall off. I do fear that the bag lid can fail so I lock my bags when riding.

Attached Thumbnails Saddlebags Secured-clevis-pin.jpg   Saddlebags Secured-clip.jpg  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Check the bolts that secure the pin plates to the frame. Both of the front bolts fell out of my Road Glide about 4,000 miles into a road trip. Found replacements at Home Depot and Loc-tited them in.

Attached Thumbnails Saddlebags Secured-loosebolt.jpg  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Aleslinger
I did about the same thing. I used a clevis pin and washers with a hitch pin clip or hair pin clip, for a real quick disconnect. For a cleaner look, usa a grinder to trim and smooth the extra pin on the inside of the bag. I got everything at Lowes for cheap in the nuts and bolts section. I do not fear some J-Hole taking my bags or that they will fall off. I do fear that the bag lid can fail so I lock my bags when riding.
Same here - pins w/clip work GR8 & bags stay secure. Can still remove them fairly quick & keep locked unless bike's in my garage...cost was ~$4-5 for 4-pins, washers & clip at ACE HW.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Aleslinger
Tourer

Pretty sad to think some J-Hole with a common screwdriver can strip new stock bags in a few moments. this is good insurance on keeping your bags and well worth the money considering what a new set of bags will cost you. The MoCo could be doing a better job with these quick disconnect fittings.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM
darrinfish
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ 1 on that I bolted mine on after reading a few posts on here.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:28 PM
llmotorcycles
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the same on mine and my sons, good piece of mind