Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Models vs Shorter Riders: Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Jtsantes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Touring Models vs Shorter Riders: Solution?

Ok...I've started similar threads about asking for advice on lowering touring models, changing seats, re-padding seats, etc., all with goal of helping me deal with a heavier bike, 5'9" frame, 29-in inseam, a wife who loves to ride with me and my overall lack of confidence when stopping my 2010 Ultra Limited. I've been riding softails all my (Harley) life and I have yet to get comfortable with the bagger. Now I can't go back because my wife would kill me...not for the $$ but for the comfort she has come to love.

I have read many posts with folks in the same situation as I am. Some of you offer advice on changing the seat altogether or doing a full lowering, rather than just the rear as I did, and other helpful advice. But going back and reading the threads again, I have found that many of you haven't really solved the problem I continue to face. For the most part, most of you (and I) hope for improvement over time. So here is the question: Has anyone completely solved the height/weight/stability issues associated with a 900-pound bagger (+ passenger) if you are a shorter rider. Am I just wasting time and money looking for a better solution that might only come if I go back to a softail?

And one last question, some HD dealers have a "Fit Shop," where they can customize a bike to your specific needs. My dealer doesn't offer that but it might be worth a trip to one with my bike if they work. Anyone have experience with that or is it mostly BS to sell additional accessories and seats. HEEELLLLLPPPPPP!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 AM
silverbullitt
Road Captain

Was the bike made before or after January 10? HD had so many complaints about the seat height, they made a running change and built a lower touring seat.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Jtsantes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
Was the bike made before or after January 10? HD had so many complaints about the seat height, they made a running change and built a lower touring seat.
I bought the lower seat and had it modified by MCC. That solved some of the "height" issue but not the issue with stability. It's a combination seat height, seat position and bike weight thing. Perhaps lowering the front will make things better. I sat on an Ultra in NM that was fully lowered and had a new reach seat on it. In the showroom, the bike felt like my old softail, but you never know till you ride.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I am the exact same height as you. Pick up the video Ride Like A Pro V. Your issue is not your height but that you haven't learned to ride that bike. This video will solve your problem. The HD touring bikes are easy to control with the correct techniques that you'll learn. You can also sign up for the class they give in various parts of the country.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:36 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I'm 5'8" tall, 160 lbs. I can ride a stock Ultra usually solo but have no problems even with a passenger. I lowered mine 1" in the rear mainly because it makes backing up easier. Wearing good boots (ankle support and good tread on the bottoms) also helps.
Take a MSF class or two, practice slow speed riding solo and with your wife. Keep the RPMS up some, use the clutch and rear brake to control your speed.

If you can be very specific about what situations make you uncomfortable you will get better answers.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtsantes
And one last question, some HD dealers have a "Fit Shop," where they can customize a bike to your specific needs. My dealer doesn't offer that but it might be worth a trip to one with my bike if they work. Anyone have experience with that or is it mostly BS to sell additional accessories and seats.
Probably wouldn't call it BS, but the goal for Harley IS to sell you more accessories. If that helps in setting up the bike better for you, then both win. As far as I know, the reality for shorter riders using H-D products, is the Reduced Reach (54383-11) or the new Super Reduced Reach Seat (54382-11), Profile Low Touring Rear Shocks (54635-09) and Profile Low Front Lowering Kit (54564-09). Anything more than that I think would require an after-market lowering kit or after-market alterations of your seat.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 08-05-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Jtsantes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vistavette
I am the exact same height as you. Pick up the video Ride Like A Pro V. Your issue is not your height but that you haven't learned to ride that bike. This video will solve your problem. The HD touring bikes are easy to control with the correct techniques that you'll learn. You can also sign up for the class they give in various parts of the country.
You know, I did pick up the video while I was waiting to get delivery of the bike. Perhaps you're correct. I do have a fear issue of dropping the bike, which could be part of the problem. But also, when I come to a stop, especially with my wife on the back, I am wobbly. That also might be a fear of dropping. I'll review the DVD again. It was very helpful initially. Thanks for reminding me that I still have it.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:46 AM
boom23
Tourer

Your options are to lower the seat, the suspension or both.

I would start with lowering the seat because that does not affect the ride quality. If that's not enough, I would lower the rear suspension. If that's not enough, I would lower the front too.

Remember, everything is a compromise. Lowering the suspension will affect the ride comfort a little. As long as you can live with the compromise, you are set...

One more thing... Ride more or take motorcycle riding courses. Practice helps a lot.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Jtsantes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by piasspj
I'm 5'8" tall, 160 lbs. I can ride a stock Ultra usually solo but have no problems even with a passenger. I lowered mine 1" in the rear mainly because it makes backing up easier. Wearing good boots (ankle support and good tread on the bottoms) also helps.
Take a MSF class or two, practice slow speed riding solo and with your wife. Keep the RPMS up some, use the clutch and rear brake to control your speed.

If you can be very specific about what situations make you uncomfortable you will get better answers.
My real problem is in stopping the bike, especially on grades (not hills, but grades to left or right). It's worse with a passenger. My stops are often "jerky," which I blame on the added weight of the Ultra and wife (300+ vs my Heritage).

Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 AM
easycruzer
Tourer
Default wobbley

I am about the same height and weight...I also found that during the summer I was riding with my sneakers on. I went back to using my boots,(they have thick heels), and it really helps. Another thing I found is to use the front and rear brake to slow down, but the front brakes really want to make the front end nose dive and make the problem worse, so as I am approaching a stop I will use the rear brake, then left foot down, then hold at a stop with front brake, then right foot down.
I usually find it is worse with wife/and the full load we carry in the tp on the weekends.

Quick Reply: Touring Models vs Shorter Riders: Solution?