Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Models vs Shorter Riders: Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:30 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres what I did,TRI-GLIDE.Haven't dropped it yet.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM
mrbluffo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comfy pants! I seem to lose 1 1/2" off my 29" in-seam when I wear my leather jeans, so I invested in a pair of Kevlar jeans and gained the length back.

I got back on the bike this March after recovering from a broken leg in 4 places in May 2009, felt wobbly to start with but just getting out there and riding has stabilised my technique again. As someone said earlier a little parking lot slow riding soon perfects things, Plenty Throttle, Feathered Clutch and Drag that rear brake to set things upright for a comfortable stop at slow speeds, give yourself some time to decide which foot needs to go down on uneven pavement.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:00 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

This may also help out as well. Have your wife try to be very still while you are coming to a stop. The more she wiggles the harder it is for you to control all that weight. Along with all the other great advise as mention before.
Once again, not trying to bash on you like others have said. But you HAVE to get over the fear. With more road time w/ the BIG bike, you'll be fine. Just take it easy, & ride within your limits.

Good luck & be careful!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 PM
oasysco
Advanced

In addition to my 2000 UC, I also have a 2007 Honda VTX1300. the VTXs come low outta the box; you have plenty of confidence whether stopping or duck walking the bike.

My UC came with the most comfortable stock seat I have ever had on a bike, but it was just too high.

I slapped a Harley "Reach" seat on it and that did the trick but at the expense of comfort compared to the stock seat. So, I swapped it for a compromise Badlander (I think) seat *and* 3/4" lower rear shocks.

It's still not as low as my VTX1300, but it's low enough that I have way more confidence stopping on an uneven grade, duck walking, etc.

And as some have mentioned here, MCC (Mean City Cycles in NC) can re-carve your seat to your specs and make it comfortable to boot. there are a couple of other businesses that do the same farther west.

All that and a good pair of riding boots

Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
caper33
5th Gear

Interesting read. thinking of going from a Nightster to a Streetglide. I too cannot flatfoot a 'glide due to being vertically challenged. Lots of good tips and suggestions here.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
ParkwayRider
5th Gear

I"m 5'7" and have ridden touring bikes for the last 6 years. I've had a Road King Custom, an Ultra Classic, and my current is a Roadglide. I lowered the King 1" front and 1" rear and it was perfect. I lowered the Ultra 1" in the back and was very wobbly as yourself until I removed the tour pack. Life was much better with it removed, but was still not like the king. I was planning on lowering it 1' in the front, but traded for the Roadglide before getting the kit installed. I have the Roadglide lowered in the back one inch and the front 1". It rides really good and my feet are flat on the ground. I personally can't ride with the tourpack. I just don't like the way the bike feels and performs with it on.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:33 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts
Unhappy

I also am 5'9" and ride and EG. One thing I learned right away is to use the rear brake more. My previous-and lighter-Harleys could be easily stopped on a dime with the front brake. If you try this with the bagger, you can get in trouble quick. All that weight has to go somewhere, and it will push to the left or right, depending on which way you are off balance, causing you mucho grief.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:58 AM
xristos
Advanced

Did you go over the Video whas it any help? Are both of your feet flat on the ground when you come to a complete stop?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 AM
stev394
Advanced
Default Lowering

You can save yourself alot of money and pick up a lowering kit for your FLH on ebay...Fron or rear or both...second a "reach" seat isnt going to lower your scoot. You need a norrower seat which will ultimately give you more boot on ground. A reach seat is only going to move you forward which isnt helpful. Look for a much narrower seat.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM
bobx67
Cruiser

if you dont ride good, ride alot.

Quick Reply: Touring Models vs Shorter Riders: Solution?