Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New brake system for my bagger

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010 | 09:29 PM
Motorman10
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I have never owned ABS so I have no first hand knowledge but I have worked on many. There is a bearing in both front and rear with a sensor that tells the ABS system if the wheel is turning or not which prevents lock up. I do not anything is good in the situation you were all in with the exception of staying in bed.

In the case of either sand and coral found in the entrance of every sidestreet entering US #1 in the Keys. ABS will prevent lock-up but this system will not. To all others reading this post, I do not care what anyone else does with their bike. The post before this one is clearly does not address anything I have wrote. For anyone's information, the speed limit on US #1 in the Keys is a minimum of 45 MPH and this is not a dirt road.
LOL. Ok then, Get up here and tune my suspension or let me know when you are going to be in town.

Old 08-09-2010 | 09:37 PM
Motorman10
Cruiser

Originally Posted by panhead49
I just think it is a bit much to whip out the big thumbs down picture on a system you have never tried.

Everyone knows that lose surfaces like sand and gravel are hard to stop on. Even with ABS, there is just no friction on those surfaces to grab. And, if you have worked on ABS systems you know that to work properly they require accurate wheel turn input, again something hard to get on moving surfaces like sand. Basically the only solution to riding on such like is to keep the speed down.

I don't know what scars you have picked up from riding, but since they were not on this system, or ABS either, I don't think they prove whatever your point was.

Basically I was asked how my installation went, and what my riding impressions were. I think this system is great, and I plan to keep it.
The technical details, for anybody interested, are all discussed on the Technical page of the web site where I bought my system, and I am not going to hash them all out here. They deal with under-braking, motor memory, etc.

Ride safe everyone !
Panhead, are you willing to do some simple braking excersises to help us out with your evaluation? We do this with new riders on ABS. Pick a location, preferably a parking lot where you can get up to 40 mph. Put a cone out to mark where you start braking at 40 mph. Do your first run and only use your front brake. {don't lock them up- firm press on the lever until you hear the harmonic sound]. Have a friend measure the distance. Then do it again, using both brakes and then measure. I'm thinking about this system for my personal bike. I have an 07 SG with an upgrade with Brembo brakes.

Old 08-10-2010 | 12:22 AM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser

I am curious..... How does this affect slowing down in a turn. Not like a ride like I am on a sporty but if I need to slow down in a turn with this set up I can't drag the rear brake to slow down and stay leaned over. Seems to me with this set up it would stand me up in a turn. But I would rather hear it from the horses mouth.

Old 08-11-2010 | 09:19 AM
panhead49
|
Intermediate

Heavyhitter - did you just call me a horse ? But seriously, I will try to give you a more detailed answer later. Generally, I like to power out of turns, so hope to go into them a tad slow. But when I misjudge, first thing I do is turn off the gas which allows for some motor braking right away. I havent noticed anything unusual when I have applied a tad of brakes in curves. But I have never ridden a big twin in a sporty manner, they are just not that kind of bike to me.

Motorman - I will try and see if I can find a friend to get up early some morning when some mall lot is empty. But if I get some figures, what am I working against ? What I mean is, are the stock figures published somewhere to form a basis ? I have never seen such figures for the various models.

Meanwhile, all I can say is that this is a nice system that works just as advertised. They have a money back guarantee, so if you have the time, try it.

Old 08-11-2010 | 11:43 AM
bagger al
Intermediate

Panhead - Thanks!! Just what I was looking for from your response - difficulty in installation and overall first impression. I will definitely install this system over the winter. In my opinion, anything that helps with braking is a good thing!!