Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should Harley be made to stay
Yes they need to stay
26.97%
No let them go
73.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Harley leaving after 107 years WTF

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 PM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a bluff to get more incentives to stay, they aren't going anywhere.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope the union members in Wisconsin look to see what the union leadership did in killing Detroit and vote them all out and work with management before they lose their jobs too. HD should follow the lead of BMW bikes, build for their market and do what it takes to stay in business.

Last edited by Jahillsr; 08-04-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Maybe they will move to Hawaii and take all their employee's on a much deserved life move....after all who else is more dedicated to the machine than the generations of families who helped build them thru thick and thin...then again, we are a country built by American's for American's.....with a few immigrants thrown in for good measure....O'wait my ancestor's were immigrants (Irish and German)and unless you are a Native Indian..your's were also immigrant's....Maybe the next Harley museum will be built in Irland and when i visit i can see some relative's.....

Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 18BKLR
No worries, just seems the Unions are getting pretty powerful and I am not to sure if they have the workers best interest in mind. Maybe pushing their agenda no matter what happens to the workers. Look at this case, it might get all these workers thrown out on the street. Cut the fat on the union and on the company side, take some hits and keep trucking. Business is business but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to keep food on the table. If we could trim some fat at work I will tell you it might make things better for the guys actually doing work rather than getting out of work. Sorry for the rant, just sad to see what this great nation is coming to. Next thing you know it will be HD of china or some ****. Guess we better try to get a bail out, you think HD is messed up now wait till Uncle Sam puts his fingers in the mix. Sorry for the rant again...
You certainly have a better understanding and grasp of the issues than many that post on the union subject.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member

They can put a new plant up on some of my property, Incentives? Hell I'll let them run an extension cord from my barn and tie into my well! Taxes are pretty low out here in the woods, and no traffic. Union Problems? We ain't even got Credit Unions out here. Give me a call Harley, I can work as an excutive a couple hours here and there.(if it ain't huntin season).

Old 08-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This story hit hard. The company I work for (close to 15 yrs now) is 70 yrs old this year, was private then went public back in the early 2000s. However, since the early 90s, the company started to see tremendous growth and added work locations w/in the US to lower cost locations (i.e. South and SE) from the hub in Chicago area (prob a 10-15% compensation difference). They had 4 huge buildings housing thousands of employees in Chicago area, now, down to 1 building. Then, once we became public, came the move to even lower cost locations, India. Now Poland. Where do the US jobs go? Over seas where companies can pay workers 10% of the US compensation, do not pay health care and other benefits that US employees get, all in the sake of meeting the quarterly numbers.

Layoff employees = rise in stock price (however, it creates a huge burden on the family, friends, foreclosure, main street, etc..). All in the name to lower costs and increased in shareholder return.

I know HD is based on WI, but I'd rather keep the manufacturing in the US, than shipping it overseas.

I hope this turns out good for everyone (even though it may not).

Old 08-05-2010, 03:33 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Incentives? If they are talking about incentives from Wisconsin or Milwaukee to stay, that's just another word for private companies wanting more money from the taxpayer.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master

I think there are several large manufacters in the US that are looking to break the unions. Years ago, unions were neccessary, but in todays enviroment I think they are a thing of the past. I also agree with an earlier comment that the unions are just as big a business as the companies they work for. It has been proven by many oversees manufacters that you can make products for the US, in the US. Just look at Honda and BMW. Of course, they had to go the southern US to do it.

Employers do not owe anything to its employees except for the wages they earned for the work they did. Everything else is just an extra, an extra that can be had when economic times allow. Just my thoughts.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:01 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

I would put most of the reason for HD moving to leaner pastures at the unions feet. Previous posts reference the unions abusing their purpose. What do the workers bring to the table other than the group bully tactics for more money? While management needs to keep up with business strategies through evening training, what do the laborers do to improve themselves for the business effort? Yeah, there may be the occasional worker who puts himself through school on his own to improve his personal skills, and they benefit from that, but the union bosses keep the workers down by not encouraging them to improve themselves, but instead, provide the life long, lessor paycheck. A lot of the union members don't even see it that way. They just see the easy payraise at someone else's expense.
Just for the record, I was a UAW member, not by choice, when I worked at the Ford Wixom plant in 1973. Even then, I thought it was kinda strange, takin what wasn't really earned. I learned the whole assembly line job in about a half hour and was bein paid about $12 an hour.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:01 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Dang, this Droid keeps causing a double post.

Last edited by EasternSP; 08-05-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Harley leaving after 107 years WTF