Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD to leave Milwaukee

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD to leave Milwaukee?

Just thought I'd share the latest article on the HD saga. I sure hope they don't leave Milwaukee, it would put a bitter taste in many mouths. I'd like to know what they are asking the union to do.

http://host.madison.com/news/state-a...e65aebff6.html

Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
Just thought I'd share the latest article on the HD saga. I sure hope they don't leave Milwaukee, it would put a bitter taste in many mouths. I'd like to know what they are asking the union to do.

http://host.madison.com/news/state-a...e65aebff6.html
What do they want from the union........give backs and pay cuts would be the first to come to mind. This economy is tearing down many long standing icons.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really disheartening! It's the way things have been going in manufacturing for a few decades now. Sorry to here it.
I feel bad for Milwaukee too!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to believe they could ever leave Milwaukee - but in today's global economy, anything's possible. I can see them moving their manufacturing somewhere down South where they don't have to worry about labor unions, but keep the HQ in Milwaukee.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to think that the Union leadership would want to keep jobs. The Union workers sure do. But I'm affraid that if history is any indication, the union leadership (above the work-force) has no intention on seeing that through. It would not suprise me to see HD move out of the country in time.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 PM
bullseye
Road Captain

This, over the couse of history, has been done by almost every major manufacturer that has union employees. Look at the auto makers, did you see how much money a fork lift driver made? When wages exceed a company's ability to be profitable then they are forced to make changes. I'm not saying I'm for or against unions but when a fork lift driver makes $50 an hour wages are too high.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain

Something the article doesn't talk about is the ridiculous amount of taxes that the state of Wisconsin is leveraging on companies. My mom lives in Milwaukee, since they passed some new tax laws last year, this has been an ongoing discussion. Not sure of the specifics of the new taxes, but my mom had to sell her business because of them.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:39 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

double post

Last edited by rstekeur; 08-04-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raaze07
Hard to believe they could ever leave Milwaukee - but in today's global economy, anything's possible. I can see them moving their manufacturing somewhere down South where they don't have to worry about labor unions, but keep the HQ in Milwaukee.
The way the economy in this country has slid into the toilet, the next thing you'll see is "Made in China"

Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

It would really be a crying shame to see the Motor Co move out of Miwaukee. I was just there in July and I toured the Powertain facility on Pilgrim Rd and visited the Museum (Steel Toe Tour package) and all I can say is "wow!" H-D is keeping the faith and their QA is very impressive when it comes to building our beloved V-Twin engines. Milwaukee Iron is the only thing I've ever known. I can't imagine New Orleans Iron, or Miami Iron. Some things just don't go together. Hopefully they'll get this all sorted out. +1 on the $50 per hours forklift driver. Amazing...

Quick Reply: HD to leave Milwaukee