Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

510 cams and @ gear grive S@S

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 08:04 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 510 cams and @ gear grive S@S

I just talked to my local Harley mechanic. Im going in for for the 510 cam and gear kit here soon and looking forward to a different ride. Price 1000$ all bearing sounds good. I just got a dino tune with pc 3 on my 2000 RG 95 cc 42 mm throttle body thunder headers. Am I expecting to much with the up grade. She now has 94 tq AND 80 HP.Will it need another dino tune or should I try a caned map,it's running a bit rich now which is fine with me .

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/8ABBF5CFE96942088D6EAD95A4F9E524.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-01-2006, 08:17 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 510 cams and @ gear grive S@S

To get the most out of it, you'll definitely want to get it re-tuned.... I don;t know how your tuner works, but the guy I use charges half price for re-tunes. It's the same complete tune, just 1/2 price the 2nd, 3rd, etc time around....

Congrats!

Looking forward to seeing your dyno chart!

Old 09-01-2006, 08:22 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW....I didn't have those numbers after I had the 510g's put in and dynotuned....granted, I'm not running a thunderheader, but those are good numbers before the cam work

EDIT....oops, didn't notice that you had BB 95"....that would explain it

Karl

Old 09-01-2006, 11:36 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems ood that you'd have a big bore and run stock cams.

No real need to retune with S&S 510's as they are a duration vs lift cam. i.e. lots more duration very little more lift. Retuning is always a good idea but my guess is there will be no need. If it was tuned properly to begin with I'd say your A/F would be close if not the same. Put it up on the Dyno and you can quickly tell if retuning is necessary.

When I put the 510's in my 88 I also put in Fueling Tappets, Screamin' Eagle Push Rods and S&S crankcase breather. I'm pulling 95 Torque and 90 HP with A/F of 13.7 +-.1 across the range. With my setup if I went to a 95 with HTTC heads I'd get at least 110 torque and 100 HP so says my wrencher and he showed me several dynos on the ones he's done.

Not sure what you've got but thought I'd give you some figures for the S&S 510 to compare.

You will like the 510's. They come on strong mid range

Old 09-01-2006, 11:41 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My R

I have the stage 2 .Im hoping for 10 more Hp and the same TQ with 510 and geras but the security knowing my timeing chan won't being thrashed along with the oil pump.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:51 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

Seems ood that you'd have a big bore and run stock cams.

No real need to retune with S&S 510's as they are a duration vs lift cam. i.e. lots more duration very little more lift. Retuning is always a good idea but my guess is there will be no need. If it was tuned properly to begin with I'd say your A/F would be close if not the same. Put it up on the Dyno and you can quickly tell if retuning is necessary.

When I put the 510's in my 88 I also put in Fueling Tappets, Screamin' Eagle Push Rods and S&S crankcase breather. I'm pulling 95 Torque and 90 HP with A/F of 13.7 +-.1 across the range. With my setup if I went to a 95 with HTTC heads I'd get at least 110 torque and 100 HP so says my wrencher and he showed me several dynos on the ones he's done.

Not sure what you've got but thought I'd give you some figures for the S&S 510 to compare.

You will like the 510's. They come on strong mid range
There is no doubt that it would start and run. But as radically different as the timing on 510's are (than almost ant other cam), it would not be anywhere close to "right". If you're gonna spend A GRAND on a set of cams, it seems a bit ridiculous to skip something as simple and fundemental as tuning the bike properly.

It has been "my experience" that if you exceed 9.7:1 CR with 510's, your motor will ping it's **** off. Take a look at the S&S website or give them a call.

THere are plenty of options for heads that would be much better on a 95" motor than HTCC heads & the requisite pistons. Additaionlly, they would be MUCH cheaper!

I will bet you $1 that you WILL NOT get 100/110 (SAE, 4th gear) with 510's and HTCC heads on a 95" TC motor... I'd love to see ya prove me wrong....

Old 09-02-2006, 06:04 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: PhilM

[There is no doubt that it would start and run. But as radically different as the timing on 510's are (than almost ant other cam), it would not be anywhere close to "right". If you're gonna spend A GRAND on a set of cams, it seems a bit ridiculous to skip something as simple and fundemental as tuning the bike properly.

It has been "my experience" that if you exceed 9.7:1 CR with 510's, your motor will ping it's **** off. Take a look at the S&S website or give them a call.

THere are plenty of options for heads that would be much better on a 95" motor than HTCC heads & the requisite pistons. Additaionlly, they would be MUCH cheaper!

I will bet you $1 that you WILL NOT get 100/110 (SAE, 4th gear) with 510's and HTCC heads on a 95" TC motor... I'd love to see ya prove me wrong....
I suspect you're guessing and have no actual experience with 510's or 95's. If you did then you would have seen what I saw when I put mine on the dyno after replacing the chain driven cam with 510's. I did not retune and have put over 7,000 miles on without a ping. As for proving you wrong, no point! I've seen several 95's with HTTC heads well past 110/100. If you want one yourself simply go to World Thunder Enterprises in Chatsworh California, see Mark or Ed and they will help you out. Of course I suspect you would complain that their $5,500 is too much money for a 95 kit. But then you get what you pay for. My S&S cams including tappets, pushrods, breather, labor and dyno was $1,716.26 out the door. Maybe a bit pricey but then my ride is sweet.

I put S&S 590's in my 06 SE Ultra and pulled 108/95. But in that case I added a SERT, true duals, SEAC, Fuel Processor and did a dyno tune. I suppose you'd squawk at WTE's getting 126/119 out of a polished 103 also. But there is a very good reason that I ride 750 miles to go to my wrencher and tuner. Like so many others on this forum I can't find a decent tuner locally. Maybe that's why you can't get 110/100 out of a 95 with HTCC or maybe you try to get performce out of one of the $1500 95 kits.

As for your $1; well I'm going to California in a few weeks. I'll put mine back on the dyno and tweak the SERT if necessary. Although it's running fine I like to stay on top of things and I'm closing in on 30K miles. I'll grab a 95 dyno sheet or two and PM them to you.

You know, after thinking more about this; maybe the reason I did not need a retune and did not get ping was because I have an Alpha N fuel processor. So does my CVO and those 95's I mentioned that get 110/100. WTE installs one as part of their 95 Kit. They sell it as the "Mentor" but it is identical to the Terminal Velocity in DRAG. See http://www.terrycomp.com/tv.html

I do appoligize if I have insulted you in any way. That is not my intent. Neither is making false claims. I am not a wrencher otr a technician. I just love to ride. I'm only stating the facts that I have seen and WTE can provide the validation. They are a geart shop and have served me well. I was just trying to provide useful information to forum member that have been of so much help to me!

Please enjoy your weekend; I'm off on a 3 day ride in the morning.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Branded
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the 510G kit on the net for $450.00 + 110.00 for the SE pushrods and installed them myself. Learned something and saved some cash also.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:39 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

I suspect you're guessing and have no actual experience with 510's or 95's.
Hmmmm.... I suppose that's open for debate. You have a right to your opinion... THat's cool!

If you did then you would have seen what I saw when I put mine on the dyno after replacing the chain driven cam with 510's.
Well.... It's probably not "experience" in your eyes, but I did recently FIX one of these $5k builds that had 510's in a mismatched configuration. Yo, Buttman.... Is it any better now? Any feedback or comments?

I did not retune and have put over 7,000 miles on without a ping.
Also w/o HTCC heads & pistons

As for proving you wrong, no point!
Interpretation: You can't ~ not on this one!

I've seen several 95's with HTTC heads well past 110/100.
Not with S&S 510's!

If you want one yourself simply go to World Thunder Enterprises in Chatsworh California, see Mark or Ed and they will help you out.
Got one....

Of course I suspect you would complain that their $5,500 is too much money for a 95 kit.
Guess that's what I do best.

But then you get what you pay for.
Gold plated ping machine

My S&S cams including tappets, pushrods, breather, labor and dyno was $1,716.26 out the door.
Nothing wrong w/that...

Maybe a bit pricey but then my ride is sweet.
As long as you like it, that's all that matters.

I put S&S 590's in my 06 SE Ultra and pulled 108/95.
Big difference in 510's & 590's and 95 & 103".

But in that case I added a SERT, true duals, SEAC, Fuel Processor and did a dyno tune. I suppose you'd squawk at WTE's getting 126/119 out of a polished 103 also.
Nope.... Bryan's 98" is very close to that and tuning not quite done yet.

But there is a very good reason that I ride 750 miles to go to my wrencher and tuner. Like so many others on this forum I can't find a decent tuner locally.
Good tuners are hard to find. I appluade you for finding a good one.

Maybe that's why you can't get 110/100 out of a 95 with HTCC or maybe you try to get performce out of one of the $1500 95 kits.
Nope! I'd NEVER use HTCC heads on a 95" motor so that will remain unknown. I got 100/100 out of a ~$2k build. If nothing else, I can wipe my **** for a while with the remaining $3k...

As for your $1; well I'm going to California in a few weeks. I'll put mine back on the dyno and tweak the SERT if necessary.
Cool... I'm good for my word. Are you?

Although it's running fine I like to stay on top of things and I'm closing in on 30K miles. I'll grab a 95 dyno sheet or two and PM them to you.
Cool.

You know, after thinking more about this; maybe the reason I did not need a retune and did not get ping was because I have an Alpha N fuel processor. So does my CVO and those 95's I mentioned that get 110/100. WTE installs one as part of their 95 Kit. They sell it as the "Mentor" but it is identical to the Terminal Velocity in DRAG. See http://www.terrycomp.com/tv.html
Great technology, I am considering DDT or Zippers

I do appoligize if I have insulted you in any way. That is not my intent. Neither is making false claims.
Not in the least. I was just hoping to clarify for others that mixing HTCC heads & pistons w/S&S 510's is a BAD idea.

I am not a wrencher otr a technician. I just love to ride.
Just play & ride...

I'm only stating the facts that I have seen and WTE can provide the validation.
Me too. Fact: S&S510, HTCC Heads & pistons, in 95" motor are a bad idea and will NOT make 100/110.

They are a geart shop and have served me well.
I am sure they are. It's probably a communication "challenge" between U & I.

I was just trying to provide useful information to forum member that have been of so much help to me!
DITTO

Please enjoy your weekend; I'm off on a 3 day ride in

Old 09-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

ORIGINAL: PhilM

[There is no doubt that it would start and run. But as radically different as the timing on 510's are (than almost ant other cam), it would not be anywhere close to "right". If you're gonna spend A GRAND on a set of cams, it seems a bit ridiculous to skip something as simple and fundemental as tuning the bike properly.

I suspect you're guessing and have no actual experience with 510's or 95's. If you did then you would have seen what I saw when I put mine on the dyno after replacing the chain driven cam with 510's. I did not retune and have put over 7,000 miles on without a ping. As for proving you wrong, no point! I've seen several 95's with HTTC heads well past 110/100. If you want one yourself simply go to World Thunder Enterprises in Chatsworh California, see Mark or Ed and they will help you out. Of course I suspect you would complain that their $5,500 is too much money for a 95 kit. But then you get what you pay for. My S&S cams including tappets, pushrods, breather, labor and dyno was $1,716.26 out the door. Maybe a bit pricey but then my ride is sweet.

I put S&S 590's in my 06 SE Ultra and pulled 108/95. But in that case I added a SERT, true duals, SEAC, Fuel Processor and did a dyno tune. I suppose you'd squawk at WTE's getting 126/119 out of a polished 103 also. But there is a very good reason that I ride 750 miles to go to my wrencher and tuner. Like so many others on this forum I can't find a decent tuner locally. Maybe that's why you can't get 110/100 out of a 95 with HTCC or maybe you try to get performce out of one of the $1500 95 kits.

As for your $1; well I'm going to California in a few weeks. I'll put mine back on the dyno and tweak the SERT if necessary. Although it's running fine I like to stay on top of things and I'm closing in on 30K miles. I'll grab a 95 dyno sheet or two and PM them to you.

I do appoligize if I have insulted you in any way. That is not my intent. Neither is making false claims. I am not a wrencher otr a technician. I just love to ride. I'm only stating the facts that I have seen and WTE can provide the validation. They are a geart shop and have served me well. I was just trying to provide useful information to forum member that have been of so much help to me!

Please enjoy your weekend; I'm off on a 3 day ride in the morning.

IMO....its insulting for a man who travels to have his bike worked on to engage PhilM on builds, tout all your big knowledge, & make ridiculous statements about what combo's work...perhaps if you were talkin sandcastles i might be swayed by your ability...first off, an HTCC head is crap and overpriced, for that money you could have something really nice...second, a 510 build will not make 110rwtq, in anything...third, to tell a man not to tune bc of "duration vs lift" is ludicrous...do you know what duration is, do even know the difference in your *** and a hole in the ground...you say you spent 5500 bucks on your build, ok...so you got some jack, i bet you a g

Quick Reply: 510 cams and @ gear grive S@S