Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kansas City Factory Tour

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:06 AM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go down there for work quite a lot. Tour is cool, you will like it. BBQ is good everywhere you go. I prefer Jack Stack, corner of 95th and Metcalf I think. Google it and you will find it. Great place to sit down and eat an awesome meal.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I went through the plant in 2004. It was a good tour, but not great to me unfortunately. They move you pretty quickly through the plant and you seldom get too close to the actual assembly lines except in a few places. There are 3 lines (Vrod, Dyna and Sportster) all running right next to each other. When we went there was a tour guide then another person following us so we could not dawdle and watch something for very long as they would shoo you forward. It was over rather quickly also.

But, it was still very informative and interesting, especially watching them spoke out a wheel. The plant seemed rather small inside too, but they are assembling bikes not cars or trucks. The tour was similar to the numerous tours I have done through auto assembly plants but much shorter. If you have never been on an assembly plant tour though, you should really enjoy it.

The absolute best tour of an assembly plant I have ever taken was of the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky. I have not been there since 9-11 so it probably has changed but when I went it was an at your own pace tour. Just had to stay within the yellow lines but you could go as fast or slow as you wanted. First time I went I followed the group and got out rather quickly. When I went back the next year I spent 6 hours in the plant, watching everything they let you see for long periods. I started with the beginning of the first tour and left along with the empoyees at quiting time. Seeing them join the body and chassis is awesome. I could have lived there if they would have let me. I took these tours during the yearly Corvette Celebration event that goes on in Bowling Green.