Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Vivid Black" Would you "Do it Again"

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Vivid Black" Would you "Do it Again"

I've got the hots for a new Road Glide Ultra and I'm trying to decide between the Vivid Black or Merlot Sunglo. I know black is the most popular color and the fastest but I have a couple of concerns I hope some of you may help with. I'm concerned about how much effort it takes to keep it looking good and the swirl marks and fine scratches they tend to pick up over time. My current 105 copper top with 47,000 on her shows both in the Vivid Black on the bag tops while the copper still looks new. Therefore the question. Who has a Merlot Sunglo and how do you like it? I'm not trying to insult black.

Attached Thumbnails "Vivid Black" Would you "Do it Again"-100_1814.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Angry Vivid Black

I have an 08 EGC in Vivid Black, I m **** about waxing and scratches or marks and Black is the worst although I use many waxes found the best to be Poor Boys Waxes. I also use Zaino although its a little more expensive. Next time Ill pay the MoCo for a candy color!! Merlot Sunglo the way to go!!
So the short answer to your question? "Vivid Black would I do it again"? HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BV

Last edited by daharleyrdr; 08-03-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 03 Softail Duece that is vivid black and an 05 Ultra Classic that is glacier white. By far white is the easiest to clean and maintain. I buff out the duece every year. I've never buffed out the Ultra, but you can't tell.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 PM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a vivid black '09 RKC.......would never do that again. It is a PITA to keep clean and shows swirls, water spots and scratches pretty easy. We live off a red dirt county road so mine is looking dusty as soon as I ride the 1/8th mile from the house to the black top.

Although it is not Merlot, wife has a Sunglo Red '09 Deluxe and it seems to not show scratches and swirls as much.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 PM
hodgeaaco
Tourer

You are correct about black. It is a pain in the *** to keep clean but......
it really looks good when it is! Under the right lighting, it can't be beat....like under the lights at bike night or in the shade or in my garage. The way I see it I was **** about cleaning my chopper blue FLHT and didn't have to be, so now I am **** about cleaning my vivid black FLTRX and need to be, so it's a wash (pun intended).

Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Vivid Black RK and I would NOT do it again. White is the best way to go, but I have to tell you, I saw a 2011 RK and Street Glide in the Merlot Sunglo...UNBELIEVABLE! The color is probably the best I have ever seen.

Last edited by JakeInMa; 08-04-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Certified Drunk
Tourer

The only color that never changes!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
never say never
Tourer

vivid black is old school to me,would not own a harley in any other color.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Heritage123
Cruiser

I have a “vivid black” heritage, and yes I would buy that color again. It does get some swirl marks every now and then, but I simply use the Meguiar's swirl remover, and it looks as good as new. I love the black. You can't beat it with chrome...

Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Get the Merlo I saw it on a Street Glide and it looks great in the solid color format.

Quick Reply: "Vivid Black" Would you "Do it Again"