Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Haze

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:54 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Default Headlight Haze

Changed my bulb to a PIAA today it seemed to cause the reflector to cloud up, seems like the same thing happened with the Sportster I had. What's the best way to clean?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

if you noticed when changing your bulb, the housing for the headlight is gray plastic, chromed on the inside. i'd be careful trying to clean the inside of your headlight housing, because whatever they coated that gray plastic with to make it a reflector is bound to be quite delicate. i'm waiting for my hella "glass" headlignt housing, the e-code type which puts out a claimed 400% more light with the same bulb. it's the type used in europe, not england where they drive on the wrong side of the road, and costs 38 bucks, or 50 bucks shipped priority mail to my house. it's a far better choice than the hid type of headlight that uses all the monkey motion ballast and high dollar bulb, etc in my opinion. the e-code headlight focusses the light down your lane rather than spreading out all over the place, i.e. oncoming traffic, the median, and for overhead signs. there is a bit of light spread out toward the right shoulder but most of the beam is directed straight down your lane. first time i changed out the bulb in my streetglide i said, damm hong kong p.o.s. plastic headlight housing. that's when i discovered susquehanna motor sports in pennsylvania. google them if interested.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
if you noticed when changing your bulb, the housing for the headlight is gray plastic, chromed on the inside. i'd be careful trying to clean the inside of your headlight housing, because whatever they coated that gray plastic with to make it a reflector is bound to be quite delicate. i'm waiting for my hella "glass" headlignt housing, the e-code type which puts out a claimed 400% more light with the same bulb. it's the type used in europe, not england where they drive on the wrong side of the road, and costs 38 bucks, or 50 bucks shipped priority mail to my house. it's a far better choice than the hid type of headlight that uses all the monkey motion ballast and high dollar bulb, etc in my opinion. the e-code headlight focusses the light down your lane rather than spreading out all over the place, i.e. oncoming traffic, the median, and for overhead signs. there is a bit of light spread out toward the right shoulder but most of the beam is directed straight down your lane. first time i changed out the bulb in my streetglide i said, damm hong kong p.o.s. plastic headlight housing. that's when i discovered susquehanna motor sports in pennsylvania. google them if interested.
Just checked out the site..I currently have a HID light but if it stops working, I'll pick up the e-code headlight....I see they offer four choices in the 7" housing, which one did you get?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 PM
SFTL 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems a lot of new bulbs will do this, someone told me that it was a coating on new bulbs that burns off. Anyway, I used Denatured Alcohol and pour a couple ounces in the bulb housing unit, swished it around for a minute, let it drain out and dry and you have a bulb housing unit that looks like new...

Old 08-04-2010, 01:55 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

HDV-GLIDE, the headlight i ordered from susquehanna motor sports is hella part number HL-79562 Ray at susquehanna is the guy who is familiar with what fits. this is for the 7" round hella E-code headlamp. you can use osram which is sylvania or whatever bulb you want to use as long as it's an H-4 bulb. when i burned out my first bulb in my streetglide, what a pain in the *** to get all three prongs of the headlight bulb out of the plastic socket that is stock on harleys. that's when i decided to replace the socket with the napa item. the three pronged napa headlamp socket that your bulb plugs into is made of bakelite, the same stuff that they used to make distributor caps of. it's highly heat resistant and all it took was three nice solder joints, three pieces of heat shrink tape, and voila, now i feel that i can change a headlight bulb at 2:00 a.m. in a walmart parking lot in dodge city kansas if need be. the stock harley connector sucks.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by SFTL 1
It seems a lot of new bulbs will do this, someone told me that it was a coating on new bulbs that burns off. Anyway, I used Denatured Alcohol and pour a couple ounces in the bulb housing unit, swished it around for a minute, let it drain out and dry and you have a bulb housing unit that looks like new...
Alcohol, thanks I'll give it a try. Next time I'm gonna fire the bulb for a while before I put it in the lens

Last edited by DPete; 08-04-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
if you noticed when changing your bulb, the housing for the headlight is gray plastic, chromed on the inside. i'd be careful trying to clean the inside of your headlight housing, because whatever they coated that gray plastic with to make it a reflector is bound to be quite delicate.
Enwolb is right about the delicate part. I swished some 409 in mine to clear it up. It did but took some of the chrome with it.