Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What age did you son/daughter start to ride with you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010 | 11:22 AM
r8rs4lf
|
Road Warrior
Default What age did you son/daughter start to ride with you?

I'm really looking foward to my daughter riding with me. I have a chopped TP that I will convert from solo to 2up just for her. What age did your son/daughter start to ride with you? Did you take any extra precautions?

Old 08-03-2010 | 11:35 AM
LansingX
Intermediate

I have two daughters and one son. I don't remember for sure, but it was between 4 and 6 years old. Kinda depended on how well they listened and paid attention. I remember well that the smallest helmet wasn't small enough. Most of their riding experience was on a military installation at that age, so I felt fairly safe with the little ones on board. With the MP's crawling all over the place, there aren't too many cagers pulling stupid maneuvers. Longer hiway rides happened after age 10 or so when their heads grew into their helmets and I could count on the fact they were going to sit still and pay attention. Now they are in their late twenties and with the exception of my son (done riding passenger), my girls still love riding.

As far as precautions, their first rides were in front of me. Helmets, long sleeves and pants and little gloves. Slow riding, probably never over 30 mph. Avoiding busy traffic. Just used common sense and prayed for the best!

Last edited by LansingX; 08-03-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: To answer the OP's second question.
Old 08-03-2010 | 11:38 AM
swimtime
Novice

My dughter is 14 and rides with me whenever she can, my son who is 8 rides but we pretty much stay on side streets. He has a full face motorcross helmet.

Old 08-03-2010 | 11:40 AM
kipd
Tourer

Both my daughters started riding at about 5 years old. We go by the rule that once their feet reach the pegs they are big enough to ride.

Old 08-03-2010 | 01:44 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

4-5 yrs. She loved to ride.

Old 08-03-2010 | 02:00 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

I've got four daughters - three love the bike, one absolutely hates it.

Other than the ride around the block thing when they were old enough to reach the pegs, I waited until they were about 14 before we ventured out of the neighborhood. Always appropriate shoes, long pants and jean jacket, and a 3/4 helmet and eye protection. The first rides were always around 30 minutes with the objective to teach good passenger behavior... don't fight the lean, don't wiggle around when we are stopped at a light unless you tell me you need to, and don't get off until I say it's ok - even if you think we've stopped and it's ok!!

My oldest is 23 now and doesn't ride with me as much - but my 20 and 16 year olds fight over the opportunity! (My 19 year old avoids it at all costs - it just freaks her out. Hey - to each her own!)

Just be overly defensive, totally alert and avoid the more risky roads - and you will start building some real cool memories... Have fun!

Old 08-03-2010 | 02:14 PM
PWFD
Road Master

6 years old around town. Speeds limit here in town is only 25mph. She is now 9 and still loves it but I'm still cautious to not take her above 45mph. It's just me being a parent not reason not to go faster I know, but I lean to the side of caution with years of service on a Ambulance with the local Fire Department.

Old 08-03-2010 | 02:15 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain

I believe my son was about 7 when he started riding with me.

Old 08-03-2010 | 02:16 PM
MiddleAgeCrisis
Intermediate

Daughter was 7, son 5. They both LOVE to ride with Daddy

Old 08-03-2010 | 02:38 PM
SG Mike
Road Master

6 years old now he's 11 and I can't leave without him!

Quick Reply: What age did you son/daughter start to ride with you?