Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What age did you son/daughter start to ride with you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010 | 11:55 PM
Antnee 2004 FLHT
Cruiser

Starting riding with me at age 5. Now he is 7 and I have to be careful when riding with him. He recently started getting sleepy when riding with me. So if he is with me, we have to stop a lot to stretch our legs and I angle one of mirrors to watch him. He always loves it when I pick him up from school.

Old 08-04-2010 | 12:01 AM
Cozmic
Cruiser

Two boys here. Big into dirt bikes way back in the day. Now they are 18 and 22. Both have their own "rice grinders" that they run around on. I can't convince them to get into real bikes.

I'm trying to get either one of them to go with me on a distance trip to see how that works out. So far, no go. But it will come.

Old 08-04-2010 | 12:03 AM
ahoxsey
Novice

My daughter started riding when she was 5. Litttle trips around on back roads. As she got older the trips got longer. She is now 13 and rides with me everywhere. We made a trip from Vegas to L.A. a couple weeks ago and she loved it.

Old 08-04-2010 | 01:10 AM
r8rs4lf
|
Road Warrior

WOW, didn't think this would generate so much interest.

My daughter is three and I want to get her riding ASAP. I guess I'll take her to see if we can find a helmet and everything else.

I really hope she enjoys it as much as I do. My wife told me from the begining, she did not want to ride so I went all solo. Now, hopefully I can get my three year old to enjoy it. She's a little intimidated with the sound, but I bet once I get her on, she'll love it.

Another note on the wife, we recently went to a family and freinds beach party where one of our freinds was asked if his wife rode. He has a softail. She said yes and always bugs him to ride. I turned to my wife and said SEE.................... So maybe the seed has been planted. I told her all it takes is one time and she will love it.

Old 08-04-2010 | 07:40 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

My son started riding around the neighborhood w me at 2, hes now 4 and im on the fence about taking him on the scoot much.

Its one thing if I go down and get hurt, its a whole other issue if he would be with me. As a parent, I take the role to protect my child at whatever the cost.

On another note, its great bonding and we both love it...but we also love boating, skiing camping and the list goes on - -

Old 08-04-2010 | 11:00 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master

My daugheter started riding at about 6 years old and my son used to ride around the neighborhood sitting on the tank in front of me and holding on to gas caps. As others have said, the biggest problem with the little guys is falling asleep.

Old 08-04-2010 | 11:26 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior

My son was 5 when he started riding with me. First, I always had a backrest (at a minimum) to keep all my passengers from sliding off the back of the bike. For my son I wore one of those harnesses that has loops/handles for your smaller passengers to hang on to. When I got my RKC I bought the Kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs, that made a huge difference as his feet were on the pegs, he had the backrest to lean against and he had the handles to hold on to.

...and while I don't always ride ATGATT myself, he always wore boots, helmet, heavy jeans, and one of the textile jackets with body armor in it. Ride safe.

Old 08-04-2010 | 12:04 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member

Both of my kids started riding with me when they were probably about 5 or so. He is now 18 (in 11 days) and riding his own Sportster and she is 12 and dying to get a bike:

Old 08-04-2010 | 12:25 PM
easycruzer
Tourer
Default riding

My son started riding with me when he was about 5 or 6. He is now 24 and rides along with me on his bike- sure is a lot of fun, and I cherish every time we ride together.

Old 09-05-2010 | 08:35 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior

Quick Reply: What age did you son/daughter start to ride with you?