Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What age did you son/daughter start to ride with you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010 | 06:37 PM
bldap
Tourer

My son started to ride with me when he was 10. Now he's 19 and just got his motorcycle license and is now riding his own scoot. It's great riding with him and sharing the love for motorcycles!

Old 08-03-2010 | 07:43 PM
StGliderHD
Intermediate

I have 3 daughters. I told them all they could go out with me when they are old enough to reach the passenger boards and wear a properly fitting helmet. My oldest is 12 and has taken several rides with me. My others two are chomping at the bit to be big enough. My wife holds her breath every time we leave. We've had some really nice times and I hope for many more in the future with all of them!

Old 08-03-2010 | 09:02 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior

I can't wait till my kids can ride with me! My daughter turned 3 in May. and My son will be 2 in November and they both love the bike. My daughter has ridden in the driveway with me.

Old 08-03-2010 | 09:44 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

Daughter is 8 and probaly short rides during the last 2 years around the neighborhood. Told her when her feet hit the pegs and she can get her arms around me she can go on longer trips. Every few weeks she would come up behind me and check to see if she can reach all the way around me. After a few trys she told me that this is taking too long and I just need to loose some weight. LOL.

Old 08-03-2010 | 09:59 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

son and daughter @3 yrs old.long trips as long as they dont fall asleep and they where a dot kids half shell

Old 08-03-2010 | 10:28 PM
ACDavis
Advanced

I have 2 young daughters, and 2 teenagers. The 7 year old started at 5, and the 4 year old started this summer. I take the 7-year old out on the normal roads in about a five mile radius. No highways yet. Typically end up at Grandparents or the ice cream store. Four year old hasn't made it out of the neighborhood. The wife and I decided early that the bike would be enjoyed by whole family. 90% of the time, it's only me, but I rarely ever leave without inviting the wife, or teen-age kids to go on longer rides. If I'm just messing around, I make sure to ask the 7-year old. Each of them love it and still feel special when riding. The only thing I worry about with the kids is if they ever fall asleep. Luckily the 7-year old gets on the bike and doesn't stop singing the whole trip. Just like many on the forum, I take special delight in exposing the kids to riding, fresh air, new places, and new people. As they get older, I plan to take them on multi-day trips. I'm pretty lucky that the kids like to be out of the house and doing something. Can't wait until they want a bike of their own. Riding is truly a family affair.

Old 08-03-2010 | 10:41 PM
Fewe
Cruiser

I have three kids currently 7, 8 and 14. I got The Ultra in April of '08 and my older boy, 6 at the time, couldn't wait to go for a ride with daddy. I finally found a small enough helmet at a Kawasaki dealer a few months later. He started riding with me the very next day!!! My daughter, 12 at the time, rode with me as soon as I got The Ultra.

I wouldn't take my boys on my Kawasaki or my Sporty since they couldn't touch the pegs and the Sporty didn't have a sissy bar. The Ultra has the full wrap-around tourpack backrest and I have an adjustable rider backrest so the boys falling off was never a concern. All three of my kids have fallen asleep on The Ultra, the boys more so.

Most important is to not outride your kids. Start the rides short and keep them entertained. My older boy and I went on a ride with friends 2 weekends ago and went about 200 miles total over the course of about 5 hours, including stopping for gas, lunch and ice cream. He had a good time and it was about the limits of his "riding attention span".

Old 08-03-2010 | 10:41 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

They don't have to be able to reach all the way around you, in my opinion. If they can lock those thumbs into your belt loops, or hold your belt if you wear one, then they are ready to begin. Start out with short trips, you will quickly find out if they are ready. Pay close attention, if they start getting quiet, they may be drowsy. If I feel mine starting to loosen up, I reach down and put my hand over one of theirs. They know, without me saying, that it means they need to hold on a little bit tighter.

Took my oldest today to the dealer, I knocked my jiffy stand spring off while riding my 6 and 8 year old on our long driveway. Made a wide turn around in a grassy field, and hit a damn 4x4 post. We looked for it, no dice. So off to the dealer we went. My 8 year old is still too small for the smallest DOT helmet at the dealer. So we bought a new spring, came home, swapped my 8 year old for the 6 year old, and went for a 20 mile ride out in the county.

Wouldn't trade it for anything. These memories can't be replaced, and the bonding is more important than any time they waste on video games or watching the tube.

Old 08-03-2010 | 11:13 PM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

My daughter is 7 and shows no interest and is actually a little scared of the bike.
My son is 12 and started riding with me at 9 or 10. Basically as soon as he could flatfoot the passenger floor boards. I started by picking him up from school, and then going for short afternoon jaunts for ice cream. Then last year while we were in Vegas, it was his first full day on a rental EGlide. What a trooper. Now he loves going with me and just leans back, plugs in his iPod and enjoys the ride and the reactions from others. Now I just have to train him to be the "official waver".

Old 08-03-2010 | 11:44 PM
catracho
Road Captain

I have 2 girls and a boy.

When I got my bike they were 11, 8 and 5.

I take them anywere for exmple my girls to their ballet classes and my boy to soccer games.

My children and wife enjoys riding and allways looking for excuses to ride.

Quick Reply: What age did you son/daughter start to ride with you?