Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn LED Headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightguy
Greetings Tx-Skydiver.
Good question - I have looked at and considered getting one on my bike.

I tried to grab one of our R&D guys who I know has recently had this question asked of them. I was unsuccessful. So, from memory (remember... old brain cells) here is what I think I know I the subject:

Generally, it will depend on how your device modulates the headlight. It may work. Here's the problem, without testing, if it works, we can't tell you for how long it may work.

Since the LED headlight is electronic, there may be some issue with the affect of the modulating device on the circuitry and the long term performance of the headlight and / or the modulator. I know "maybe" isn't a very good answer.

Do you have an issue with telling me the make / model of the device? If we're lucky, our Tech Support people have already dealt with this in the past.

At the same time, you might also contact that manufacturer and ask them the same question. They may have already done the testing and might have the answer waiting for you. If they don't, they may welcome your question because you wont' be the last one to ask.
I don't recall the manufactorer or model, nor is the device labeled with the information, unfortunately.

That said - I'd be more than happy to test for you. Just send me a set of lights. ;-)

Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Desoto
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it would be a too hard job to manufacture a modulator into the electronics of the LED light. It would be up to the buyer to flip the switch to turn the modulator on or off.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:43 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Lightguy,thanks for the interesting info on LED lighting and I've appreciated your honesty.They'll be on my next "to buy"list for my Ultra Classic.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:08 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vzts4q
Harley also has them.

Only $524.95 for the headlight PN 73390-10
And $384.95 for the Auxiliary Lamps PN 73396-10

You just made me sorry I opened this thread!!!! Think I paid $40.00 for my last headlight....

Old 08-12-2010, 04:31 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I know lightguy is right because I saw LED headlights a couple of years ago.They were manfactured for the military because they were 24 volt.They are very bright.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 PM
jochase1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Light guy for all the info- just wondering if the Custom Dynamics (ttp://www.customdynamics.com/high_intensity_led_headlamp.htm )LED headlight and passing lamps are the same as the Kuryakyn, or are they manufactured by some one else?

also, what about the poly lense yellowing ? any issues there?

I've already decided this is going to be my next upgrade, and I'm sure there will be more options soon

TIA

joe

Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 PM
acftgrunt
Cruiser

I had one of the Trucklite 7 inch LED in my RKC and I loved it. Had the same output as HID IMO.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Not only is Custom Dynamics the same as Kuryakyn but they use the same two photos in their photo display.High Intensity Plus 7 LED Headlamp

Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 AM
cjairplane
Cruiser

The LED lights really are amazing. I hope to get all three of my front lights (first, then back) LED'd out. They won't get rid of stupid drivers, but they will help stupid drivers see you!

Thanks lightguy

Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

the company i bought my hella E-code headlamp from is susquehanna motorsports in fleetwood, pennsylvania. daniel stern lighting has the same stuff along with cibie, the french company also E-code headlights, but they're about twice the money as susquehanna. for the roadglide guy, if your stock headlight is the 5-3/4" round, they also carry that size. the stock harley pigtail where it plugs into the back of the headlight is a pain in the butt. i went to napa auto parts and got a good connector to replace the harley part. the napa item is made of bakelite which is also used to make distributor caps for cars. it's not the cheezy soft plastic like harley uses. another reason i chose to replace the connector where it plugs into the three prongs of the headlight is because i had to use miniature screwdrivers to get each of the three prongs to release from the stock plug. imagine trying to change out a headlight bulb in resume speed, iowa in an auto zone parking lot with that setup. the napa part plugs in just right and holds tight, but allows you to unplug it without all the monkey motion that the harley plug gives you. three solder joints with heat shrink tube, the joints staggered of course, and voila, no worries with changing a bulb. the harley pigtail/connector seems to be a soft nylon type of plastic to me, and the bakelite socket is far better quality. i hope this information is something someone can use.

Quick Reply: Kuryakyn LED Headlight?