Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New headpipes, gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:47 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New headpipes, gasket question

Got my dresser duals in yesterday and was wondering if I should use the supplied (V&H) exhaust gaskets? Before I recieved the duals I took a trip to the dealer and picked up some new factory gaskets (non screaming eagle) and muffler clamps. I didn't know the pipes came with gaskets. The difference is the factory ones have a bevel on one side for the headpipe to slip into. The V&H ones do not.

TIA

Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 AM
hubble
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put some dresser duals on last month and was at the same point you are. I installed the HD ones and so far so good, no problems............

Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

The best and easiest to use gaskets are the H-D Screamin Eagle exhaust gaskets. They seem to seal better than stock gaskets. Also, I would only use H-D pipe/muffler clamps rather than the V&H clamps. When I put my mufflers on the V&H clamps were rather cheap and definitely one shot affairs. H-D ones seal much better.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:34 AM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I also used stock HD gaskets with my Power Duals,no problems so far.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
Got my dresser duals in yesterday and was wondering if I should use the supplied (V&H) exhaust gaskets? Before I recieved the duals I took a trip to the dealer and picked up some new factory gaskets (non screaming eagle) and muffler clamps. I didn't know the pipes came with gaskets. The difference is the factory ones have a bevel on one side for the headpipe to slip into. The V&H ones do not.

TIA
HD gaskets in the headers. Use high temp RTV (red tube) to seal your mufflers and the crossover to the headpipes.
Oh and ditch the flimsy V&H clamp (I think they only give you one) and use HD clamps (3 of them).

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Guntoter
The best and easiest to use gaskets are the H-D Screamin Eagle exhaust gaskets. They seem to seal better than stock gaskets. Also, I would only use H-D pipe/muffler clamps rather than the V&H clamps. When I put my mufflers on the V&H clamps were rather cheap and definitely one shot affairs. H-D ones seal much better.
Reason for not getting the SE gaskets is because I've read a few threads here that people were having problems installing them. With the stock ones it seems you can't go wrong.

As for the clamps, that must have been a long time ago because I just looked at the V&H ones compared to the HD ones and they look identical with the exception of the nut to tighten the clamp. One is a little longer than the other. They even have the exact same markings on them.

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
HD gaskets in the headers. Use high temp RTV (red tube) to seal your mufflers and the crossover to the headpipes.
Oh and ditch the flimsy V&H clamp (I think they only give you one) and use HD clamps (3 of them).
Really, high temp RTV? I would think that is not needed since the mufflers slip over the headpipes. Now if they slipped into the headpipes, I can see maybe using RTV.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM
isac
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the supplied V&H gaskets..2 months later no probs....and I can tell you this..you'll love the sound

Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Would think either one would be fine. I use the cometic stainless steel exhaust gaskets myself, and really like them. It's part #C9540, 10 for $72. I replace em everytime the exhaust is removed, but I'm just picky that way.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf

Really, high temp RTV? I would think that is not needed since the mufflers slip over the headpipes. Now if they slipped into the headpipes, I can see maybe using RTV.
Well, I dunno. Here is what happened to me.
I installed my Dresser Duals 1 month ago without RTV and 2 weeks later, my right CFR muffler started to turn goldish at the junction, right past the heatshield. During the previous 2 weeks, I've re-tightened the muffler clamp several times. So after getting rid of the discoloration with Blue Job, I pulled the 2 mufflers (PITA by the way) and smeared the inside of the flange with RTV red. It was very easy to put them back on and since then, no more discoloration of the muffler.
I guess the clamp didn't completely seal the muffler over the headpipe and created some discoloration. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Well, I dunno. Here is what happened to me.
I installed my Dresser Duals 1 month ago without RTV and 2 weeks later, my right CFR muffler started to turn goldish at the junction, right past the heatshield. During the previous 2 weeks, I've re-tightened the muffler clamp several times. So after getting rid of the discoloration with Blue Job, I pulled the 2 mufflers (PITA by the way) and smeared the inside of the flange with RTV red. It was very easy to put them back on and since then, no more discoloration of the muffler.
I guess the clamp didn't completely seal the muffler over the headpipe and created some discoloration. That's the only explanation I can think of.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, ok..............

Don't think I have to worry about discoloration since thery're black. I'll keep this in mind when I get to that point though.

Quick Reply: New headpipes, gasket question