Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Se 120r complete engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Exduane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I have ordered the 120R for my 2010 road glide. What should I do to the clutch? I can't do an extremely strong spring due to injury. Can I use the PCV on this engine. I have vance and hines true duals now. Hoping to get numbers in the 130 range? Will it happen? Having a dealer install.
I used a stock clutch set up from a 103" and it been holding just fine. Nice pull, no slipping.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ordered the 120R for my 2010 road glide. What should I do to the clutch? I can't do an extremely strong spring due to injury. Can I use the PCV on this engine. I have vance and hines true duals now. Hoping to get numbers in the 130 range? Will it happen? Having a dealer install.
You will need a VPC style clutch. You can use the PCV, but you would be better off with a SEPST. 130 range is not a problem out of the box. Dealer installed mine and it is putting out 140tq/138hp. Talk to your dealer see what kind of performance builds they are doing and how much of it are they doing. Do they run a drag bike out of thier shop? Do they have a good reputation for dyno tuning.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain

Stock clutch will not hold. period.
My 120 is on the dyno now, went with a Rivera Primo Pro clutch and a AIM VPC (Variable Pressure Clutch) with the silver (medium) clutch spring and it slips across the board, bad enough that we cant tune it until the Rivera "gold" spring arrives. Now, I have not used the clutch lever yet but talking to guys running it on later baggers (08+) it is not a bad pull, less than the HD SE clutch spring. latter bikes have the ramp that is like ez pull compared to the below 08 models. If you dont go gold spring or SE clutch spring, you will have slippage all over the dyno unless they give you a bad tune. one of the 1st guys to do the 120r, I forget his name, used the stock SE clutch and spring and it was not streetable due to the pull of the lever. I dont think I have seen a single 120r dyno sheet NOT do 130tq/hp with a half way decent tune (but many are running the D&D Bore/Boss Zillas). Go with the device your tuner is most comfortable with (I bet it wont be a PCV)

A few 120r builds, mine included, going on over here http://www.*****************/forums/twin-cam-engine-mods/

Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Sixty day delivery is what the dealer expects which will be okay. Kind of excited about the acceleration possibilities.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM
niinjoosum
Advanced

I agree with everything that itsaw.. says. I have had my SE120R put in my 2010 Ultra Classic Limited and it is totally a sick machine. I had no trouble starting it aroung the 30-35 degree range, only because I could not wait until it gets warmer in the Northeast before I could ride this beast. I am also running a ThunderMax Autotune kit from FuelMoto. The SE clutch does take some getting use to, its way harder than my stock Ultra clutch and even harder than my VROD DX clutch was, not a clutch I would want to get stuck in traffic with.

As far as lighting up tires I have done it twice and didn't even mean to. This engine is all about torque and power. I have about 120 miles on it and have tried to keep it below 4,000 rpms but this thing moves with aurthority. Triple digit speeds are done with almost no effort and in no time. Gas mileage I dont know yet but with 120 miles the 6 gallon tank is almost empty according to the unreliable gas gauge. Also the powerband is to the right but not by much and this engine revs past 6,000 rpms.

With traveling for work and the weather just haven't been able to ride much. Just wished we had less snow and freezing days so I could get out more on this monster. But the time I have been on it, its been a real blast and total fun. This engine is so far awesome.

Originally Posted by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
I've got about 2000 miles on the SE120R now. Here's some thoughts.
  • The automatic compression releases are great, bike is easy start almost every time. It doesn't like extreme cold starts, below 15*C. It hasn't failed to start, but takes a little more cranking to get her to fire up. Think I'll have the tuner check it out for that.
  • General around town driving takes time to adjust to the screaming eagle race clutch. It takes time to adjust to the hard pull and the available torque requires retraining of your autopilot clutch skills.
  • This motor will go through rear tires if you do not have the will power to stay out of the throttle. It is far too easy to light up the rear tire.
  • Fuel milage varies greatly between 35 and 45 mpg. The SE120R begs you to roll on that throttle. When you do and trust me you will it drinks gas like an elephant drinks water. However, when you ride like a sane person keeping the highway speeds under 70mph it'll get 40-45mpg.
  • Gear ratios, wow this thing definately gives you another gear. 6th isn't needed below 60 ever. It'll sure change your shifting habits or at least for most it will.
  • The powerband is pushed a little to the right for most, but even on the low end of the RPMs this thing is a beast and can handle any situation you demand of it. It just creates lots of power really fast which takes getting used to. This motor is fast, it is not a slow power developer. My streetglide hits 120mph like it was nothing and feels like it has a whole lot more. I find myself watching the speedo more because it does like speed. You'll find yourself strolling along the highway at 90mph and swear you were only doing 60mph.
It's a wonderful powerplant so far, but I'll reserve my final impressions until I get it out this summer for a long touring ride across America. The longer touring rides I believe will show its true colors for my purposes. Hope that helps give you your SE120R fix. My suggestion for now is, get one you'll love it.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

This guy is happy about his 120R, I had same feeling. Found these youtube video's on another forum and had to repost in this thread. They speak volumes about the first impressions of a 120R.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=955Y1...layer_embedded

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUcRg...layer_embedded

Old 02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

OMG that 2nd video was the worse video I ever did see.....all that guy needs is a moped the way he rides.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Originally Posted by leohd
OMG that 2nd video was the worse video I ever did see.....all that guy needs is a moped the way he rides.
Maybe, but he's having fun his way with a 120R. I believe this is what makes the 120R a great engine. It has a power curve and smooth delivery of torque which can handle the requirements of almost any rider.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 PM
niinjoosum
Advanced

Nope I dont need a moped but I will take a 1958 Vespa, just dont see the point of posting illegal activity on the web or my favorite riding spots to authority figures. So in short I posted the videos to share the fun I was having. By the way the engines is amazing and pulls likee no ones business. Best fun on two wheels as far as I am concerned, well for now anyway.

By the way you are welcomed to post your own 120R video and share what I missed.

Last edited by niinjoosum; 02-10-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Exduane
Cruiser

Wow. You're kind of an ***, aren't you? I thought the clips were a fun & honest look at what this engine can do for an everyday rider.

Quick Reply: Se 120r complete engine?