Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Se 120r complete engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:35 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Exduane

The 2 different runs are from the same motor, same session on the dyno. Yes, original 120 engine & yes, I had to replace top of motor.
Wow,not cool!! Keep us posted as to how you make out with the new one.I think even if I bought one out the box; I would stll do some things to it to make sure it was right.I would still balance & weld crank.Install temken, if it doesnt come with it.I would have Dan Baisley go over heads to make sure they were cc'd correctly to get comp right.Have bike dyno tuned with the TTS ,& install a Boarzilla then let her rip!!!

Old 11-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
Wow,not cool!! Keep us posted as to how you make out with the new one.I think even if I bought one out the box; I would stll do some things to it to make sure it was right.I would still balance & weld crank.Install temken, if it doesnt come with it.I would have Dan Baisley go over heads to make sure they were cc'd correctly to get comp right.Have bike dyno tuned with the TTS ,& install a Boarzilla then let her rip!!!
The only thing I might do different is to use the new Power Vision Tuner instead of TTS.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/powervision.htm

Old 11-14-2010, 05:28 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Vision?

Originally Posted by Heatwave
The only thing I might do different is to use the new Power Vision Tuner instead of TTS.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/powervision.htm
You think that would be a better tunning system for a 120R that i am installing soon? I have the SEPST with Smarttune but am intimidated with the software, but see a base map for the 120R. I have a PCV on the bike right now with the 96 but can't find a base map for the 120 so i guess that is coming off.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
You think that would be a better tunning system for a 120R that i am installing soon? I have the SEPST with Smarttune but am intimidated with the software, but see a base map for the 120R. I have a PCV on the bike right now with the 96 but can't find a base map for the 120 so i guess that is coming off.
While we need to see this unit in the real world, if it delivers on it's promotional description, the choice will be very easy. If it were my bike I would go with a D&D Boarzilla exhaust with 18mm O2 bungs (instead of the 12mm O2 bungs). Then I would install wide band O2 sensors with the PowerCommander AT-100 unit plus the new Power Vision tuner to be released in Dec.

I have the SEPST and previously tuned with the Race Tuner and this new unit will be the future of motorcyle tuning. IMO all other tuners will be considered obsolete within 6 months of the full launch of this new tuner in Jan. 2011. Particularly when you compare capabilities and price. No question that this new tuner at $500 is a far greater value than anything offered by Harley or TTS.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is the one I tuned. if you look at the clutch slip in the last graph , it will show where the dips comes from.
got 2 more ordered now. going to do some head work and see where they go.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:50 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

I have the SEPST and previously tuned with the Race Tuner and this new unit will be the future of motorcyle tuning. IMO all other tuners will be considered obsolete within 6 months of the full launch of this new tuner in Jan. 2011. Particularly when you compare capabilities and price. No question that this new tuner at $500 is a far greater value than anything offered by Harley or TTS.
it looks like a nice unit for sure. it will have some added options,that will good for home tuners. in the end though it still allows access to the ecm ,and isnt going to be any better "tune wise" just a diff setup to get there. any of the big 4 tuners Direct Link,SESPT, TTS, PV, in the hands of a GOOD tuner will net the same results. so I dont think any will become obsolete

Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Exduane
As for changing the exhaust, there would be no advantage going to the D&D (At least what my tech & gear-head friends are telling me). They're pretty much identical.
Newflash: Your tech is WRONG.

However.... if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by strokerjlk
it looks like a nice unit for sure. it will have some added options,that will good for home tuners. in the end though it still allows access to the ecm ,and isnt going to be any better "tune wise" just a diff setup to get there. any of the big 4 tuners Direct Link,SESPT, TTS, PV, in the hands of a GOOD tuner will net the same results. so I dont think any will become obsolete
You are correct that the performance of the bike's tune is really only as good as the skill of the tuner using any of the currently available software. For that very reason, I still believe that unless there is a dramatic difference in price, the tuning software/device that is the most user friendly, requires the least modification to the bike and can generate the best results with the least amount of restrictions will win the day.

When users have the choice of spending $350-400 for software that requires a laptop being attached to the bike (TTS) or $350-400 for software that requires attaching a laptop after the bike stops (SEPST) or $500 for a device that doesn't require a laptop for most tuning variables and can be viewed/adjusted while riding the bike....the call will be an easy one. I stand by my earlier view that the tuning alternatives that require attaching a laptop will either upgrade their approach or become obsolete or dramatically lower their price.

Last edited by Heatwave; 11-15-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:02 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

I stand by my earlier view that the tuning alternatives that require attaching a laptop will either upgrade their approach or become obsolete or dramatically lower their price.
I can agree with that.
it will be interesting to see at least one of them scramble.
dont think we will see them go away. change there approach ? yes.
lower there price? I hope so! but doubt it.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
You are correct that the performance of the bike's tune is really only as good as the skill of the tuner using any of the currently available software. For that very reason, I still believe that unless there is a dramatic difference in price, the tuning software/device that is the most user friendly, requires the least modification to the bike and can generate the best results with the least amount of restrictions will win the day.

When users have the choice of spending $350-400 for software that requires a laptop being attached to the bike (TTS) or $350-400 for software that requires attaching a laptop after the bike stops (SEPST) or $500 for a device that doesn't require a laptop for most tuning variables and can be viewed/adjusted while riding the bike....the call will be an easy one. I stand by my earlier view that the tuning alternatives that require attaching a laptop will either upgrade their approach or become obsolete or dramatically lower their price.

It seems like a step back to the 1920s when I have to constantly adjust the tune of a bike real time like they did way back in the '20s while driving; adjusting timing advance and fuel constantly. I doubt that the majority of people riding a Harley want instant access to tune their bike on the fly. However there will be some of us who just have to tinker with it constantly to get that extra 1hp out of her.

I don't see myself riding down the road thinking damn I need just 2 more lbs of torques so I can make it over this hill.

Last edited by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$; 11-15-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Se 120r complete engine?