Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's better - Adj Air Fairing Deflectors or Fork Deflectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:41 AM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What's better - Adj Air Fairing Deflectors or Fork Deflectors?

Trying to keep the wind from driving my legs apart on the highway. Which is a better for this? - adjustable fairing wings or the fork mounted deflectors? Or are both a waste of time? I already have the (between) fork baffle.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the fairing wings won't help - i have them on my SG. A set of lowers will do the job though. Fork deflectors - never tried them.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:01 PM
iambill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have to tried the floorboard extentions. Both Soos and Harley goodies have them.
Not sure if it will help, but they have made my ride so much more comfortable.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior

I have the floor boards extensions from soos - but these move your feet out, but I dont think they make things worse - I think its the amount of wind coming around bottom half of bike.

Need some feedback on fork deflectors - do they help with lower bike air? Every post I read is talking about upper bike air (chest and head).

Thanks Mr. Hog - good to know these aren't worth it - not ready to go with lower fairings - yet... trying to avoid the ultra look.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:52 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the fairing and fork deflecters on my 01,makes some differance but lowers would be better in my book.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:59 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ranger56528
I have the fairing and fork deflecters on my 01,makes some differance but lowers would be better in my book.
Which one made the biggest improvement?

Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added the fork deflectors on mine and I would say it did more to keep the air from coming up and hitting me in the chin. This was what I was looking for. I think lowers are the only thing that is going to help you with wind on the legs. They also make rain gators that go on your crash bar that would do the same thing as lowers for a much lower price.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:19 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just bought a set of lowers, have the fork deflectors and until I got them did not realize what the big deal was. I also installed a fork baffle which helped 'some' so it stays on.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:30 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the lowers, air delectors on forks, and the one under the triple tree. The fork mounted ones will cut down on the air to the chest and chin, lowers help with the air on the legs, the one mounted under the triple tree, does absolutely nothing in my opinion. Like it was already said, get a set of the leather/vinyl covers for you crash bar, that will tell you if lowers will help.

Joe

Old 08-01-2010, 02:36 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PDDGM
I have the lowers, air delectors on forks, and the one under the triple tree. The fork mounted ones will cut down on the air to the chest and chin, lowers help with the air on the legs, the one mounted under the triple tree, does absolutely nothing in my opinion. Like it was already said, get a set of the leather/vinyl covers for you crash bar, that will tell you if lowers will help.

Joe
Great - I'm on it! I don't want permenant mounted lowers so I'll look at the gators as a temp solution for long runs.. Thanks for the input. Didn't want to spend $100 on fork deflectors to find out I needed something else (gators).

Quick Reply: What's better - Adj Air Fairing Deflectors or Fork Deflectors?