Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Road Glide Ultra Is Mine

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Pyle
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone:

I'm new to the forum and new to the world of riding Harleys - but I've been riding since I was 5 - just never could afford a Harley until lately. Last part of August, I purchase a 2005 Softail Deuce and I love it. However, I'm beginning to believe that every rider needs two bikes - one for fun around town and another for long trips.

I've been looking at these 2011 Road Glide Ultras and I'm very impressed. But I do have a concern. I'm about 6' 2" tall and have long legs (I wear 34-36 pants). I really like the kicked back riding position. My Deuce needed 3 inch extensions on the forward controls and custom bars to give me the right feel.

I'm wondering what the riding position on the Road Glide Ultra feels like. I've sat on them at dealerships, but unless I'm riding, I just can't get a good feel for the riding posistion.

Can the riding position on them be modified like I did with my Deuce?

Thanks for your thoughts and I love this forum. I've already found all sorts of great information here.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:56 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyle
Hello Everyone:

I'm new to the forum and new to the world of riding Harleys - but I've been riding since I was 5 - just never could afford a Harley until lately. Last part of August, I purchase a 2005 Softail Deuce and I love it. However, I'm beginning to believe that every rider needs two bikes - one for fun around town and another for long trips.

I've been looking at these 2011 Road Glide Ultras and I'm very impressed. But I do have a concern. I'm about 6' 2" tall and have long legs (I wear 34-36 pants). I really like the kicked back riding position. My Deuce needed 3 inch extensions on the forward controls and custom bars to give me the right feel.

I'm wondering what the riding position on the Road Glide Ultra feels like. I've sat on them at dealerships, but unless I'm riding, I just can't get a good feel for the riding posistion.

Can the riding position on them be modified like I did with my Deuce?

Thanks for your thoughts and I love this forum. I've already found all sorts of great information here.
Put a HD Tallboy seat on it and it should be fine. I'm 6'4, 35" inseam. I did a Corbin seat and highway pegs. On my Wide Glide I had the Kury extensions to be comfortable, but don't feel the need for mods on this RGU.

Many folks complain about the stock RG bars, but it sounds like they might fit you fine.

The only way you'll know is a test ride. Take your checkbook!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:37 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Congratulations. Love the paint.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Pyle
Stage III

Originally Posted by Teachu2
Put a HD Tallboy seat on it and it should be fine. I'm 6'4, 35" inseam. I did a Corbin seat and highway pegs. On my Wide Glide I had the Kury extensions to be comfortable, but don't feel the need for mods on this RGU.

Many folks complain about the stock RG bars, but it sounds like they might fit you fine.

The only way you'll know is a test ride. Take your checkbook!
That's good to know. Thanks for the info. I've been worried about that ever since I saw the new RGH. That's my new dream bike.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Pyle
Stage III

How easy can the trunk and back rest be removed and placed back on? If I'm riding solo, I might not want them on there. But when my wife rides with me, I would want them on. Is there a quick disconnect or something like that?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:07 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pyle
How easy can the trunk and back rest be removed and placed back on? If I'm riding solo, I might not want them on there. But when my wife rides with me, I would want them on. Is there a quick disconnect or something like that?
When HD released the RGU, they followed up with an advisory informing buyers that there was no HD detachable hardware available as of yet - the existing stuff didn't work. I don't know if they've released updated parts yet.

I added a TP to my '07 and went with detachable. It didn't have lights and speakers, and had the older style docking hardware - the '09+ is a much better system. I found it to be a waste of $ - I left the TP on all the time. I will not be going detachable on the RGU.

I did add the Kury adjustable mounting system to the RGU. I can slide the TP forward 1" to rearward 3", infinitely adjustable over that range, and no tools needed. Very cool, as my my back seat may have my grandson (forward) or a large T-Bag (back) on it. Very nice product, great fit and finish, and installed it myself.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:52 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Teachu2
When HD released the RGU, they followed up with an advisory informing buyers that there was no HD detachable hardware available as of yet - the existing stuff didn't work. I don't know if they've released updated parts yet.
How can that be ?. All the Touring Bikes have the same rear end frame, design and is compatible for the detachable kit/tour-pak. Just puzzled here and there.

Thorey

Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats enjoy! The color is nice! Ride Safe

Old 11-04-2010, 10:37 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
How can that be ?. All the Touring Bikes have the same rear end frame, design and is compatible for the detachable kit/tour-pak. Just puzzled here and there.

Thorey
Yes, I had the same thought - but when the MoCo tells me there is a problem with their product, I tend to believe them. There was a thread on here in August re the issue.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:26 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

Just checked with the dealer - no detachable setup yet.

Quick Reply: 2011 Road Glide Ultra Is Mine