Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Air horn bad then good story

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:26 PM
HogAir
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: HD Air horn bad then good story

I've got a tip for anyone trying to get the rubber mounting stud out of the engine strap mount. After you remove the horn, use two nuts screwed onto the end of the stud, jamming the two together. Once I did that I was able to use a socket wrench to unscrew the stud from the mounting strap. Total time was about two minutes.

Alan

Old 05-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Roadking 360
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To finish the installation consider one of the HD logo caliper self adhesive inserts. The 1 3/4" dia covers the back of the compressor and gives the whole assembly a finished look. You can find the part in the Multifit section, try part number 44093-96. There are two sizes of caliper inserts make sure that you get the larger one. Have had mine on for a year now no problems with the adhesive or rubber mount.

2004 RKC
Bremerton, WA

Old 05-17-2007, 11:30 AM
maikeli
1st Gear

That sound like good advice, RK 360. I was thinking that the black plastic looked needlessly unchromed. Why wouldn't the Motor Company just have the whole thing done the same way?
Anyway, I'm heading down to my dealer (heh, heh) to get one.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

that rubber piece can be very difficult to remove...it is like someone glued it to the bike...i used a small flat screw driver to lift the corner up on the rubber piece and then used the WD-40 with the red tube pushed in hard behind the rubber piece and sprayed ..tried to go as deep and as far arround as possible..then spun it off with vise grips..but hogair idea of locking two nuts together might be better than vise grips.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:05 PM
itznin
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Roadking 360

To finish the installation consider one of the HD logo caliper self adhesive inserts. The 1 3/4" dia covers the back of the compressor and gives the whole assembly a finished look. You can find the part in the Multifit section, try part number 44093-96. There are two sizes of caliper inserts make sure that you get the larger one. Have had mine on for a year now no problems with the adhesive or rubber mount.

2004 RKC
Bremerton, WA
Can you post a pic of how this looks? I am considering it but would like to see it on the bike first.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 PM
CW4_131A
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a combination of spatula and wooden spoon helpful in this task.
Maikeli,

Good to find someone else who thinks the kitchen is another room full of tools.
What I hear most is, "where are you going with that"?

Ride safe brother

Chief

Old 07-01-2008, 05:13 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Came across this old thread while helping&nbsp\\; a friend install the HD horn on his 08 Ultra.&nbsp\\; They&nbsp\\;must have changed the&nbsp\\;rubber cushion design on the 08s because his came off easily. The rubber is not glued on,&nbsp\\; it's part of a unit that screws into the backing plate.&nbsp\\; Either screwing two nuts on on the exposed screw (as someone suggested) or using vice&nbsp\\;grips&nbsp\\;unscrews the rubber cushion from the plate.
&nbsp\\;
Instructions tell you to remove the gas&nbsp\\;tank.&nbsp\\; You really only need to remove the&nbsp\\;two&nbsp\\;torx screws at the base and lift it about 2-3 inches to work the harness through.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Although the instructions don't tell you,&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;it does matter&nbsp\\;which connectors you use on the bottom of the horn.&nbsp\\; If you get a muted sick sound&nbsp\\;after connecting it, just&nbsp\\;switch the two wires and it will work fine.
&nbsp\\;
The&nbsp\\;horn is definitely much louder than the stock&nbsp\\;horn.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; We also decided not to use the included rubber compressor hose which they tell you to route under the seat.&nbsp\\; Just didn't like the look and saw no real value to it.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:42 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I just took off the HD Premium Air Horn and threw it in the trash it is a POS. I replace the HD Premium Air Horn with a Rivco, it sounds great..... I did it today about 45 min.
I got it on ebay from Eastern Performance Cycles, $159 inc. shipping. It is 2-3 times louder then the HD, the dealer installed the HD so I guess it was installed right. It sounded like a dying cow. I have it out in the trash any one can have it for the shipping cost but as I said it is a POS.

I have given this away to someone on the forum. Thanks for all the request, I hope it works....

Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 60mike06FLHX
I just took off the HD Premium Air Horn and threw it in the trash it is a POS. I replace the HD Premium Air Horn with a Rivco, it sounds great..... I did it today about 45 min.
I got it on ebay from Eastern Performance Cycles, $159 inc. shipping. It is 2-3 times louder then the HD, the dealer installed the HD so I guess it was installed right. It sounded like a dying cow. I have it out in the trash any one can have it for the shipping cost but as I said it is a POS.

I have given this away to someone on the forum. Thanks for all the request, I hope it works....
+1 Rivco is great for me, I installed it myself 4 weeks ago, it got stronger with time ! (not sure why), I used some Teflon spray on the hose and did not need to clamp them.

As for the Rubber piece on the mounting stud, I agree it was a trick, jamming two nuts did not work for me , after some effort, I realized that the studd with the rubber sells for under 7$, I just bought a new one, and went back to work .

Old 10-23-2008, 11:21 AM
KBrown53
Road Captain

Good Info for anyone considering an air horn:
http://www.bikerlawblog.com/index.ph...ni_beast_air_h

Quick Reply: HD Air horn bad then good story