Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Air horn bad then good story

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:43 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HD Air horn bad then good story

Anybody says that HD air horn is NOT loud, has to have it hooked up wrong. It is Real friggin' LOUD, ear hurtin' loud for sure, sounds like a semi. Pretty cool lookin' unit as well. The dual trumpet Rivco horns are no louder and look like a sore thumb.[:'(]

Old 09-02-2006, 08:26 PM
suicide441
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure like my Mini-Beast horn. Easy to install and it worked the first time. Loud too!

Old 09-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I took the HD Premium Air Horn plunge. OBTW, you have to get the "Kit, Installation, Super Loud" to install it. With the local tax, $188 out the door of Jones HD here in Little Rock, AR.

I'm reading the instruction sheet now and will report back with:
- Installation pain factor
- Sound quality
- Loudness factor

More to come...

Edmo

Old 09-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All done...

It took a smidge over an hour for me to install. It would have been quicker, but I'm pretty bad about reading the instructions three times and scratching my head as I look at it from every angle. It was not anything like the pain I had when putting on the QD backrest and rack mount kits (what a pain in the @$$ those were!). The horn has it's compressor mounted on the back of the snail trumpet and everything appears to be well put together and waterproof. One thing I did notice was the contstruction. The whole horn is made of plastic, including the chromed portions! However, the HD emblem makes it look good sitting on the bike. We'll see how it lasts.

Is it loud? Yes, it is LOUD. My neighbors wouldn't understand (or approve) if I let it wail in my garage at 9:30 PM, so I took the bike out on the road and tested it. It doesn't make you grimace in pain, but it is pretty darn loud. I rode into an enclosed car wash stall and hit the button... I had heard enough as soon as I hit the button. It is much louder than the puny stock horn and I think it will get anyone's attention. I'm quite pleased with the amount of sound.

Now to the sound quality. This is where I'm a little disappointed. This horn has only one trumpet and therefore it produces a monotone, single horn type of sound. I had expected the sound you get from a train or big truck which has the two trumpet setup. With two trumpets you get each one blowing at a slightly different tone. This thing makes one tone. The best that I can come up with is it sounds like a big boat horn. Like an extremely loud goose. However, it is much more compact than the various two trumpet setups I have seen. It is just a little bit bigger than the stock horn and cover, so it doesn't cover up the whole left side of the motor like some trumpet setups.

Is it better than stock? You bet. Is it worth $188? Maybe... If it stops some idiot from pulling out in front of me it is worth that and more. I like the sound level and clean compact looks of it. We'll see If I can make people pay attention.

Edmo

Old 09-04-2006, 01:35 AM
CW4_131A
Road Captain

Is it loud?
Is it worth the $188.00?

Twice within the past week I've had vehicles try and cut in on me while negotiating the Washington DC beltway.
Twice I hit the new HD horn.
Twice these drivers swerved away from me thinking a Semi was about to take them out.

New horn: $188.00
Time to install: Three Hours
Riding into my driveway unscathed: Priceless

Old 09-05-2006, 11:23 AM
jlacasci
Tourer

Yep, if you can get the rubber spacer off without a problem... An hour no issues. If it doesn't come off. Well, you've read my story.
;-)

I agree on the sound too. Loud, like a ship horn, reminds me of going to Block Island on a ferry when the boat pulls in up here in RI.
But, I didn't like the look of the trumpets, too big, covers too much of the engine. The HD horn is a nice compromise IMHO.

Joe

Old 11-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Tin Man 1
Cruiser

I had the dealership install the Premium Air Horn on my new Ultra Classic when I ordered it. I have had the bike for 2 weeks yesterday. I noticed the rubber bushing had come loose and the horn was dangling. Is this the rubber that is being referred to in this post? Looked like a **** poor mount. I like the horn, but the mount is no good. How does it mount if the rubber is removed?

Old 11-06-2006, 10:32 AM
jlacasci
Tourer

I beleive the Air Horn comes with a new rubber mount. It was a while ago that I attempted to install mine. But I do know that I wouldn't have tried to rip the original rubber mount off if a new one was not provided. I believe the instructions might have said to disgard the old one?

I've had mine horn on since my original post, no issues at all with the mount. Sounds like an install issue if you ask me.

Joe

Old 05-16-2007, 06:18 PM
maikeli
1st Gear

I wish I had found this forum before trying to install the premium air horn on my '05 Road King Classic; it would have saved me a lot of hassel!
I just finished installing the "Premium Air Horn for Harley Davidson". I was told by my trusty parts man that it was an "easy installation, just a plug and play kind of thing." It isn't quite that easy. The directions are straightforward enough, but, as mentioned above, be forewarned:
1. The rubber mount on the Engine Strap has a Weld nut on the back, which, obviously, can't be unscrewed (I had not really understood that when I first read the directions, tried to He-Man it loose and ended up cutting my fingers to ribbons when the wrench slipped and my fingers met the cylinder fins).
I finally got the engine strap off - after an hour or so, and drove up to my dealer (Ray Price - Raleigh, NC) and asked my parts man to get me a clean engine strap. He takes one look at the rubber mount and knowingly says, "I can get that thing off." He goes in the back, and voi-la! He comes out with the thing off. Turns out I put the vice grips in the wrong spot and just tore off the front half of the rubber mount. The rubber mount WILL be destroyed in the process of removing it. Make sure to use vice grips and grip it from the BACK side of it. Don't resort to removing the engine strap. It's a needless pain.
2. The directions call for you to partially remove the fuel tank to run the wires up away from the engine. For the newbie, like me, this entails more than I had bargained for (in believing my parts man). My solution: loosen the fuel tank and gently finagle the wires into the wiring grove along the left side of the frame. I found a combination of spatula and wooden spoon helpful in this task.
Finally, I am happy enough with the new horn's volume, but wish it were actually a bit louder because cagers have loud stereos, wear headphones or are just plain too numb to hear much of anything unless it intrudes on their happy little world.
It took me a total of about 5 hours to get the thing on and running. Now that it's on, I am prety satisfied.
Best of luck!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master

ORIGINAL: suicide441

I sure like my Mini-Beast horn. Easy to install and it worked the first time. Loud too!
+1

I don't have one on the Road Glide...yet. I put one on my FXRS and it has saved my butt a time or two.

Quick Reply: HD Air horn bad then good story