Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna need some pipes for a 2011 Street Glide!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 PM
LADNAR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna need some pipes for a 2011 Street Glide!

I'm trading off my 2009 Fatbob on a new Street Glide Monday, with the 103! I'm pretty excited about it. They were uncrating it this afternoon when I stopped by the shop.

My question is regarding pipes for the new 103 motor. I know people are asking for pipe recommendations all the time, and now I'm becoming one of them.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard one of the stock 103 motors with pipes, and what they thought about it. I haven't heard one. I know I don't want the stock mufflers, as I want to sound like a Harley.

I would like something that sounds deep and agressive, but I also don't want anything too loud that I'm going to have trouble hearing the radio while out on the open road.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for a loud and mean sound, but I wan't to be able to set the cruise and hear my tunes also.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:25 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

The stock pipes do sound like a Harley. That's what Harleys sound like now.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 PM
LADNAR
Tourer

Hmm.... Well, I guess you do have a point there.

Please allow me to re-phrase. I would like by new bike to sound like what I believe a Harley should sound like, rather than what the moco has rolled out as stock.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:08 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I put bubs on my 2010 and love them. I get many complements on them. If I were you, I'd look to change the AC and add an ECM module at the same time.

Don't rush the pipe purchase enjoy the hunt for the pipes you like.

What color did you buy?

Old 07-31-2010, 08:18 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer

First....congrats on the new bike...you're going to love it......my advice is to listen to other bikes prior to buying....I've got a 2010 limited with the 103"....I bought dresser duals and HO slip ons, both by V&H....and they're louder than I wanted at the time....although....I'm getting use to them...they sure sounded sweet today for me on my ride....but they're loud.......did I say they were loud?...well they are.....good excuse for the hogtunes Ultra speaker and amp upgrade....:-)

Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 PM
LADNAR
Tourer

Originally Posted by luc.who
What color did you buy?
I ended up with the vivid black. I hear it's faster anyway.

I really love the black denim, and that's what color my fatbob is. I think it'll be a nice change to have a shiny bike, but I'm already thinking about getting an estimate for a satin clear coat, or maybe some satin flames put on, to mix up the black a bit.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:42 PM
LADNAR
Tourer

I hear that the V&H dresser duals with the HO slip ons may be a little loud. I think I heard that correctly. Although, some hog tunes may be nice as well....

I appreciate the feedback bluegrassboy...

Anyone hear the bubs on a 103? I've heard them on the 96's and from what I've heard they sounded good. They look really good too.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 07 ex-cop RK with the 103. I used to run the old pro perf II slip ons. They're the ones now being sold by Supertrapp as the "SE" model. Great muffler. Nice idle and fairly quiet at cruise. Highly recommended. I recently changed to Rinehart true duals. Better yet.

You need to listen to as many exhausts as you can. You'll know soon enough what sounds good to you.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 07 ex-cop RK with the 103. I used to run the old pro perf II slip ons. They're the ones now being sold by Supertrapp as the "SE" model. Great muffler. Nice idle and fairly quiet at cruise. Highly recommended. I recently changed to Rinehart true duals. Better yet.

You need to listen to as many exhausts as you can. You'll know soon enough what sounds good to you.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Dynarider04
Intermediate

LADNAR, before this guy failed to yield on me causing me to T-bone him totaling my 4 day old just under 200 mile 2010 Ultra Limited I had the Rinehart true duals. They are a good sounding exhaust that aren't to loud, but is much better than the stock. When you open the throttle up she really speaks at you. I have a 2011 Ultra Limited coming my way in September and I'm putting the Rinehart true duals on it again.

Quick Reply: Gonna need some pipes for a 2011 Street Glide!