Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autotune problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
oscarg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autotune problems

I had autotune on for a few months and accepted trims
Several times but lately I have a lot of poping
on decel I check and nothing in the trims.
the PCV has a green lite and both autotune
mods have red lights . Any ideas ???

Old 07-31-2010, 10:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Make sure the terminator plug is installed and that you haven't swapped the two AT modules. They are dedicated to a specific cylinder and will only work one way. Are you seeing all zeroes in all Target AFR tables? When you connect to your computer do you see any AFR readout in the software?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:07 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, since you've accepted trims, it seems like the autotune modules are working. What have the trim tables looked like? Were the numbers similar from front to rear cylinder? Or did one have much higher numbers than the other?

To make absolutely sure the modules are paired to the correct cylinder, you can disconnect one of the O2 sensors while the bike is running and your laptop is plugged in. Watch and see which O2 reading goes to zero.

I had a similar problem with my autotune. It vexed me for several weeks before Jamie at fuel moto figured out what was going on. It turned out that the rear O2 sensor was picking up some readings from the front cylinder. The reversion was throwing off the trims, and after accepting trims a couple of times, my bike would become un-rideable.

I also found some information in the Auto Tune documentation that talked about the same issue. They say that some free-flowing exhausts will have this reversion issue, and you might need to copy the fuel settings at the lowest throttle settings from the front cylinder and paste them in the rear cylinder table.

Tech tips
• If you should see abnormally high values in the trim tables then check the following:
• Intake leaks
• Exhaust leaks - check at all exhaust junctions
• Reversion - If using the stock headers with aftermarket slip-ons the
rear cylinder O2 sensor may see inaccurate readings. In these cases you may have to zero out the Target AFR table for the rear cylinder below 20% throttle. You can copy the values from the front cylinder fuel table into the rear cylinder fuel table for below 20% throttle if needed.

Incidentally, I used to have the same slip ons that you're running, on the older style exhaust headers. It's interesting that you're having a similar issue that I had. Jamie had me block off the left side exhaust just before the muffler with an expanding plug. Then I rode the bike and checked the trims. Sure enough, that solved the autotune problem, but it make the bike sound horrible, so I wound up going to true duals.

Last edited by Mike; 08-01-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:57 AM
oscarg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by iclick
Make sure the terminator plug is installed and that you haven't swapped the two AT modules. They are dedicated to a specific cylinder and will only work one way. Are you seeing all zeroes in all Target AFR tables? When you connect to your computer do you see any AFR readout in the software?
I have not moved the terminating resistor or any connection other than to bring it in to hook up to my
Desk top I don't have a laptop so can't check on the
Bike this time they are all zeros all throttle position and rpms. Than target afr are the same as before 13.5/13.8/ 13.2/etc

Old 08-01-2010, 10:10 AM
oscarg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Well, since you've accepted trims, it seems like the autotune modules are working. What have the trim tables looked like? Were the numbers similar from front to rear cylinder? Or did one have much higher numbers than the other?

To make absolutely sure the modules are paired to the correct cylinder, you can disconnect one of the O2 sensors while the bike is running and your laptop is plugged in. Watch and see which O2 reading goes to zero.

I had a similar problem with my autotune. It vexed me for several weeks before Jamie at fuel moto figured out what was going on. It turned out that the rear O2 sensor was picking up some readings from the front cylinder. The reversion was throwing off the trims, and after accepting trims a couple of times, my bike would become un-rideable.

I also found some information in the Auto Tune documentation that talked about the same issue. They say that some free-flowing exhausts will have

this reversion issue, and you
might need to copy the fuel settings at the lowest throttle settings from the front cylinder and paste them in the rear cylinder table.

Tech tips
• If you should see abnormally high values in the trim tables then check the following:
• Intake leaks
• Exhaust leaks - check at all exhaust junctions
• Reversion - If using the stock headers with aftermarket slip-ons the
rear cylinder O2 sensor may see inaccurate readings. In these cases you may have to zero out the Target AFR table for the rear cylinder below 20% throttle. You can copy the values from the front cylinder fuel table into the rear cylinder fuel table for below 20% throttle if needed.

Incidentally, I used to have the same slip ons that you're running, on the older style exhaust headers. It's interesting that you're having a similar issue that I had. Jamie had me block off the left side exhaust just before the muffler with an expanding plug. Then I rode the bike and checked the trims. Sure enough, that solved the autotune problem, but it make the bike sound horrible, so I wound up going to true duals.
I am getting nothing in trims now
.zeros in all positions

Old 08-01-2010, 11:34 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by oscarg
I have not moved the terminating resistor or any connection other than to bring it in to hook up to my Desk top I don't have a laptop so can't check on the
Bike this time they are all zeros all throttle position and rpms. Than target afr are the same as before 13.5/13.8/ 13.2/etc
The terminator is not installed out of the box, but if it is correctly positioned you may have the two modules reversed. Either condition will cause the trims to stay at zero. Also, make sure Auto-Tune is enabled in the software.

Have you ever seen any trim values since installing AT? You will see all zeroes after accepting trims, but even a short ride should show a few small trim numbers.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

In your original post, you said you'd accepted trims several times. What did the trim tables look like? What exactly did you do when you accepted trims?

You need to have your computer plugged in to your PCV to see the trim tables and to accept trims. Then under the map tools pull down menu, autotune tables, you accept all trims, then send the map back to your PCV.

You could also try re-sending your original map back to your PCV and see if that makes any difference at all.

If you're not getting any readings from your O2 sensors now, is there a chance that there wasn't anything from them all along? Your statement that you've accepted trims several times has me thinking that the autotune was working earlier, and that it was all installed and wired correctly. However, if there wasn't anything in the autotune tables earlier, then we'd be working from a different starting point.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

The termination plug that Iclick is talking about is a small, square black plastic plug. Your autotune modules have two ends. On one end is the receptacles for the wiring from the O2 sensors. On the other end is the receptacles for the small cables. One cable goes from the PCV to one of the autotune modules. Then another cable goes from one autotune module to the other one. The second module will have an open slot that the termination plug goes into.

Last edited by Mike; 08-01-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:29 PM
oscarg
Road Captain

The first three times there was very little change a few were a little higher and a few less and front and rear are different they are in the right spot and resistor is in and it had been all working . Last time I accepted trims I up dated firmware could that be the problem and what do I do ?
E
And

Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 PM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet you have a problem from updating your firmware. It took me 3 tries before the firmware was completely installed successfully. I have read of several others on here that had trouble installing the new firmware. You really need to take your computer out to the bike to make sure the software is working correctly

Quick Reply: Autotune problems