Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Custom Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:02 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default American Custom Pipes

I just found the website for American Custom and listened to their sound clips. I was wondering if anyone has done business with them and how do you like their pipes. Thanks for your comments.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:45 AM
Voldemort
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are still sitting at UPS In Lenexa, KS and have been for the last two days..... Why? I don't know. If you do order them stay away from customer rep. Eddy. He tells you what he thinks you want to hear. My Bomber Straight Cuts sat in their warehouse a week before I called back and got Bruce to check on the situation. Bruce sent them out on Wednesday, a week and a half after I placed the order with Eddy mind you, and said they would be here yesterday but for some reason UPS had othre ideas. I can't blame Bruce for that. There are some folks on the harley-davidson.com forum in the exhaust section that have them and they love them. And the price too.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:04 AM
hubble
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a set and put them on dresser duals, I also have SE255's. I didn't like the way they sounded so I sent them back and got a refund. I think they're for stock bikes with stock exhaust.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:53 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a pair that should arrive Wednesday.

I'm sure I'll have something to say on Thursday...

Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

Okay, technically it's still Wednesday here, but they're on.

First off - Visually stunning. Which, I hate to admit (as I'm not too much into "bling" for the most part), is why I ordered them in the first place. Slash-up with those black anodized inserts - those are the best looking pipes I've ever seen. It's everything I loved about Rineharts, but with the slash that puts them over the top.

Their web site shot --

Okay - Sound-wise... No baffles = freaking loud. A bit "sloppy" sounding (for lack of a better term) also. Didn't care for it. So, I put in the ("Mid-level") baffles -- Seemed a little tame, but didn't really road-test it (it was raining at the time).

Of course, anyone who knows me knows what I tried next... Right baffle only. Loud with a very generous rumble. Sounds freaking wonderful.

Still, for me, too loud for my neighborhood... I come up the driveway after midnight pretty often. Even on the road (after it stopped pouring), I felt a little "Uh-oh, I probably sound like "that guy" (the guy with the really loud pipes) or something... Hope I don't attract the attention of the local constabulary..." coming over me.

So when I got back in the garage, I let it cool down a bit and installed the left baffle once again. Still haven't given it some miles with both baffles, but it sounds pretty respectable from what I can tell. There's certainly the option of drilling a few more (larger) holes in the left baffle to give it a little more low end.

I'll probably add more once I get a chance to really hear 'em out on the road.

All in all -- Superflow's Max2's (actually again, just the left one) really spoiled me -- $150-ish for great sounding exhaust that isn't too loud? That's off the hook. With these AC's, being over twice as expensive basically for the cool-looking end caps, well, you could certainly spend a lot more. I don't feel any particular "buyer's remorse" or anything though...

Last edited by JohnScrip; 08-04-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:09 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

Okay - Put both mid-level baffles in and put a few dozen miles on... Different - But I think I actually like it. It's very throaty - low end is strong. Top end is a little 'puffy' under low strain and has a very aggressive and satisfying (for lack of a better term) 'roar' when you jump on it a bit.

Loud (for me), but not really obnoxious. The guys at the dealer liked the sound and loved the styling.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:05 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

UPDATE:

Went ahead and ordered the "quiet" ("stock-type") baffle... That's a long baffle (length of the muffler) in the right side, short (one of the "mid" type) baffle in the left.

Rather nice actually - Definitely more throaty than stock, definitely not too loud. Wound up drilling around 10 1/4" holes in the short baffle to cut a little back-pressure (the difference between "vroom - vroom" and the vroom with a sudden stop and "crack" at the end). Easily my favorite - A nice throaty, deep idle, a decent but not obnoxious growl at higher RPM's, a deer-alerting 'crack' when you give a quick quarter-twist, a subtle, healthy-sounding but 'radio-friendly' rumble at highway speeds.

Sounds like a Harley, but without being "that a**hole down the block with the really loud bike."

Old 08-15-2010, 09:01 AM
tatt2zzz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Custom

Thanks for the update. I think I am going to purchase a set but was wondering if your mpg was effected in any way. Did you experience any decelleration popping after installation. My bike is stock, with the exception of Xied's, so I'm assuming there should be no problem.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

Not enough time to figure mileage... Assuming it's going to be okay. No particular popping on decel (no more than the usual occasional pop here and there - Not too obnoxious either). Pretty happy with it today - Might drill just a few more holes in the left baffle... The pressure is just about equal (maybe 45/55 as opposed to the stock 35/65-ish or the 60/40 from my Max2 left muffler) and I always seem to start smiling around the 50/50 or slightly-higher-to-the-left point.

Last edited by JohnScrip; 08-15-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM
tatt2zzz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using any particular hole arrangement when drilling the baffle or is it random?

Quick Reply: American Custom Pipes