Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Custom Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:16 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jsciullo
I'm looking at these too for my Road King. They have a four week wait list if you want to buy their pipes. How easy is it install the slip ons. I ask as it's never as easy when I go to do it? Are the nuts that hold the stock pipe on held on with lock tight? How hard are they to get off?

Thanks,
Jim
You can use locktight if you want to but use the blue. To remove, take your bags off, remove the two bracket Allen screws, lossen the clamp bolt and yank them off. Reverse to put them back on. It's that easy. If you reuse clamp be sure to retighten after the exaust get's hot or just go to dealer and get a couple more.
You need to get used to it as you have to remove them to get the rear wheel off. Of course if you ain't mechanicaly inclined taking the rear wheel off is a real party ....

Old 08-30-2010, 12:09 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm confused about the baffle types. For the touring bikes they only show two short baffles, however, on their web site video they show a long and short baffle. Which ones did you get? Can you use only one baffle and does that cause any problems with back pressure/ecu settings? Did you drill you holes near the existing baffle holes? Also did you need to use any muffler sealant?
Sorry for all the questions but Im trying to avoid those "Oh Crap" moments.

Jim
The "loud" is no baffles. "Medium" is two short baffles (which I ordered originally, but found it to be too loud). "Stock" is a long in the right, short in the left (I ended up ordering the "stock" long baffle by itself, as I already had the pair of short baffles).

I tried the "stock" long right baffle and no left baffle (similar to my old Max 2 Superflows where I used the stock right muffler and Superflow's left muffler, which is basically an empty muffler). Didn't really find it 'right' - but not bad. Still wanted to tame it just a whisker - So, put in the left (short baffle), too quiet - started drilling holes and after 20-ish 1/4" holes, I'm "happy dude."

No adjustments necessary if you're using the stock air cleaner setup.

The "sweet spot" in the back pressure was when a quick twist went from "vroom--ahhhh" to "Brrrrap--pu-pahhh" (for lack of better terminology). "Hard bark / hard release" instead of the Buick-ish "soft" up & down.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:29 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly what I was looking for!! I think I will order a set!! Im curious why you didnt split the holes you drilled between the two baffles?
Jim

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
The "loud" is no baffles. "Medium" is two short baffles (which I ordered originally, but found it to be too loud). "Stock" is a long in the right, short in the left (I ended up ordering the "stock" long baffle by itself, as I already had the pair of short baffles).

I tried the "stock" long right baffle and no left baffle (similar to my old Max 2 Superflows where I used the stock right muffler and Superflow's left muffler, which is basically an empty muffler). Didn't really find it 'right' - but not bad. Still wanted to tame it just a whisker - So, put in the left (short baffle), too quiet - started drilling holes and after 20-ish 1/4" holes, I'm "happy dude."

No adjustments necessary if you're using the stock air cleaner setup.

The "sweet spot" in the back pressure was when a quick twist went from "vroom--ahhhh" to "Brrrrap--pu-pahhh" (for lack of better terminology). "Hard bark / hard release" instead of the Buick-ish "soft" up & down.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:36 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

Exactly what I was looking for!! I think I will order a set!! Im curious why you didnt split the holes you drilled between the two baffles?
Jim
Getting that "stock" baffle in was a bit of a thing... Once it was in and lined up properly, I really didn't want to try that one again.

Plus, I've always had luck opening the left... There's enough air coming out of the right side - Getting more flow out of the left is nicer for the "rumble" (while more of the right is more of the "clack") and the heat buildup tends to follow the air - So the right-side thigh-burner (at least on the 08's) is reduced nicely.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser

Just got mine this morning and install was a breeze. I went with the two short baffles. Took it for a short ride and it was ok. They are louder than stock but I'm not sure yet of I really like it or not. It's hard to tell with a half helmet, wind noise and the clatter from the valves. It's also my experience that it takes some miles to break in and it's nothing that a drill can't fix.

I will say this. I was bit disappointed with the quality. Unless I got a used version, there were a couple of small dents on both mufflers and both had some little black specks on them like road tar or something. I'll call the company and see what they have to say. Worse case I'll get my money back but I don't think it will come to that.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with the baffles.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:46 AM
randytro
Banned

Last edited by randytro; 08-15-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser

Randytro,
Great info and I'm going to give this a try. I wish I knew more about muffler acustics to better understand how the holes make it sound deeper. Do you happen to have a non-stock air filter? I'm going to put one on mine before I drill. I expect that it will get louder once the new AF is on. The nice thing about these pipes is that it's cheap to get a new baffle if needed.

Jim

Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

SIDE NOTE / UPDATE:

Traded my '08 SG on an '11 EGC. Of course, I threw the AC's on after about 20 minutes. Gotta say, with the catalytic converter now in the pipe (from what I'm told), the difference is pretty substantial -- Much quieter & more "mellow" than when on the Street Glide. I'd bet the "mid" baffles would have quite a bit more growl.

That said -- I still like the sound for this bike. It's definitely "smoother and mellower" but the EGC is a "smoother and mellower" bike also. Still blows the stock mufflers away (and still supremely sexy with those "end caps" on).

Old 09-30-2010, 07:13 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser

Congrats on the new bike. A further update on my bike... I added the PC-V, new air filter and drilled three rings of holes in the left baffle and a single ring of holes in the right. Sounds great!!! I downloaded a new map from Fuel Moto which is a copy of the Rhinehart slip on's and it made a huge difference from the map that came with the PC-V. I'm thinking about adding a few more holes to see if I can get a deeper sound - not that the existing sounds bad I just want to see how far I can go.

Had a weird thing happen to me yesterday however. After an hour ride I filed the tank. I started the bike it almost didnt start and it sounded like the mufflers lost their noise. The bike also seemed to run a little hotter. It was short trip back home and I re-downloaded the Rhinehart map. Everything ran fine again. Im not sure if my PC-V went on the fritz or what but Im going to download a new firmware upgrade today. I've used Power Commanders for years and this is the first time something like that happened. No release notes with the firmware upgrade to see if that was a bug that was fixed. I will take it for some long rides over the next few days to see what happens.

Jim

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
SIDE NOTE / UPDATE:

Traded my '08 SG on an '11 EGC. Of course, I threw the AC's on after about 20 minutes. Gotta say, with the catalytic converter now in the pipe (from what I'm told), the difference is pretty substantial -- Much quieter & more "mellow" than when on the Street Glide. I'd bet the "mid" baffles would have quite a bit more growl.

That said -- I still like the sound for this bike. It's definitely "smoother and mellower" but the EGC is a "smoother and mellower" bike also. Still blows the stock mufflers away (and still supremely sexy with those "end caps" on).

Old 10-07-2010, 01:34 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: Put in the other "Medium" baffle this evening -- Very happy with the sound on the new EGC (with the cat in the pipe). Would consider it a little mellow on the Street Glide, but it "fits" this bike very well. Keeping in mind that the left baffle is still drilled out quite a bit, I may even swap them at some point to see if it adds a little sumthin' sumthin'. But I really don't feel the "need" to try it if you know where I'm coming from...

What a difference that converter in the pipe makes though... The ('08) SG was actually a bit louder with the "Stock" style baffle than the EGC is with the "Medium" style baffle.

Buddy's opinion: "It sounds classy - like it should be smoking a nice cigar."

Last edited by JohnScrip; 10-07-2010 at 01:42 AM.

Quick Reply: American Custom Pipes