Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Custom Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 PM
randytro
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by randytro; 08-15-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wound up with a fairly random patter of 1/4" holes (largest metal bit I had, believe it or not). I started with drilling one hole per "flat" part at the nose, then just sort of perforated it with maybe 16-20 more holes here and there.

I absolutely love it now... Just enough throat, just enough growl, just enough roar, just enough volume. It sounds "proud" (for lack of a better term) without being "Hey! Look at me!"

I was sitting a little taller in the saddle today myself...

Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 PM
david christopher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C908
I just found the website for American Custom and listened to their sound clips. I was wondering if anyone has done business with them and how do you like their pipes. Thanks for your comments.
I did this a few years ago....dont waste your money...go on and get some samsons or vance & hines or a brand that is proven....then you will be happy

Old 08-17-2010, 06:13 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

Just throwing another viewpoint in - In my case, I wasn't satisfied with my V&H's, Samsons, Rush's, SE's, or two other brands that I can't think of off the top of my head - and whatever was on my (used) Road King when I bought it... Yeeech...

Come to think of it, the only mufflers I've ever really been happy with are modded stockers (specifically, Superflow and now these American Customs).

Old 08-24-2010, 05:14 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master

I like 'em. Saved a little more $ and went with the "less that perfect" stock they had on hand. Honestly, I can hardly tell, and once they were installed on the bike, I couldn't see anything wrong at all.

Fast shipping, too.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:37 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master

JohnScrip: as a side note, I just tried the exact same mods you did with the left baffle. Thanks for the tip, sounds awesome!

Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by C908
I just found the website for American Custom and listened to their sound clips. I was wondering if anyone has done business with them and how do you like their pipes. Thanks for your comments.

A guy in the Patriot Guard down here showed me his. I think the sound was excellent. The easy replaceable baffles are cool because you use the stock pipes, the EPA stamp is on the pipe in case of future trouble. And they don't look like a hack job.

For me I would like the ability to change back to stock sound so easily. The only time I would like to be loud is during rolling thunder sponsored events.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:12 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser

I'm looking at these too for my Road King. They have a four week wait list if you want to buy their pipes. How easy is it install the slip ons. I ask as it's never as easy when I go to do it? Are the nuts that hold the stock pipe on held on with lock tight? How hard are they to get off?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 08-27-2010, 12:25 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PowerFactor
JohnScrip: as a side note, I just tried the exact same mods you did with the left baffle. Thanks for the tip, sounds awesome!
And a few hundred miles later, I honestly couldn't wish for better. It's like a perfect cup of coffee.

I'm looking at these too for my Road King. They have a four week wait list if you want to buy their pipes. How easy is it install the slip ons. I ask as it's never as easy when I go to do it? Are the nuts that hold the stock pipe on held on with lock tight? How hard are they to get off?
INSTALLATION: Nothing to it (even for me - and I shouldn't be allowed around tools). Pull the bags, loosen the muffler clamp-thingies (see what I said about tools?) and I mean LOOSEN them so you *know* they're loose - Over a dozen spins "third-turns" with a ratchet so they easily spin.

For me, I removed the bolts holding the rear of the muffler and supported it a bit with my foot while I knocked 'em loose by holding a piece of 2x2 against the rear 'nuts' and smacking it with a hammer. Go ahead and hit it some, you know...? A little wiggling (if it will loosen) perhaps, but it'll get there.

Anyway - Eventually the mufflers will come off, you swap the clamps (some would suggest new clamps, but I never bothered) and put the new ones on. Yes, I ended up using a 2x4 and the same hammer against the end of the muffler to get it "seated" properly. Tighten the rear bolts, tighten the clamps, go riding.

Getting that "stock" baffle was tricky - But I wound up lining the thing up as best I could while "pressing" it in (with the provided "broom handle"), screwing in the long bolts as far as I could (so if I screwed up the threads, they were further in than I'd ever need) and hammering it home. Removed the screws, put the end-caps on and went to town on the (ridiculously simple by comparison) short baffle on the left pipe.

FWIW, I used blue locktite on the short bolts at the rear.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:49 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser

I'm confused about the baffle types. For the touring bikes they only show two short baffles, however, on their web site video they show a long and short baffle. Which ones did you get? Can you use only one baffle and does that cause any problems with back pressure/ecu settings? Did you drill you holes near the existing baffle holes? Also did you need to use any muffler sealant?
Sorry for all the questions but Im trying to avoid those "Oh Crap" moments.

Jim

Quick Reply: American Custom Pipes