Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer week at Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:07 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by drfeelgood
I sure hope this year they finally have some shirts with trailers on 'em. I'm tired of going home empty handed.
i think you on to something there.... a black T-shirt with an image of a trailer and harley...... saying-- i trailered to bike week.

i think you'ed make killing on them.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There were vendors selling t-shirts like that the last 4 years...

Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Yeah, I'll be there too in a black t-shirt on a black Harley and white hair with a white beard.

Two seasons back I was separated from my sons in the crowd down town. It took them two hours to find me. They said that half of all the guys were in black tee's and had white beards and hair.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:36 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

ive changed my opinion of trailering after talking some who do. most had familys in tow, physical disabilties that kept them outta the saddle for long periods, coming from snowbound areas and so on. i ride 24/7/365. period. but to each his own

Old 08-06-2010, 06:56 PM
rsavage
Tourer

Not trailering to Sturgis for bike week. I am not enamored of Bike Week (any of them) crowds, traffic, etc. Riding is freedom to me and I have found that sitting in stop and go traffic frying just isn't fun or freedom. I do have a nice Toy Hauler Camper that I pull to areas we want to visit and use it as a base to do daily rides when there aren't huge crowds. We try to stay in campgrounds that offer some solitude away from the bustle. Just did Maine coast and will head to NC in a couple of weeks to do Blue Ridge both ways out of Asheville. We are going to head out west with the Toy Hauler and hit western states coming back across the north to hit the SD sights, hopefully next early summer. Wish all who go, no matter how they get there, a safe trip and a good time.

Last edited by rsavage; 08-06-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:02 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A real vacation

Originally Posted by 7125
i leave weds 5 am me and 10 yr old son on my bike 27 yr old son on his bike
2 week vacation first time over 35 years

That, my man, is a GREAT holiday!!!!!!

1HarleyGuy1

Old 08-07-2010, 01:49 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rsavage
Not trailering to Sturgis for bike week. I am not enamored of Bike Week (any of them) crowds, traffic, etc. Riding is freedom to me and I have found that sitting in stop and go traffic frying just isn't fun or freedom. I do have a nice Toy Hauler Camper that I pull to areas we want to visit and use it as a base to do daily rides when there aren't huge crowds. We try to stay in campgrounds that offer some solitude away from the bustle. Just did Maine coast and will head to NC in a couple of weeks to do Blue Ridge both ways out of Asheville. We are going to head out west with the Toy Hauler and hit western states coming back across the north to hit the SD sights, hopefully next early summer. Wish all who go, no matter how they get there, a safe trip and a good time.
I think you got it figured out! I can't get off work enough to justify the expense of a "toy hauler camper". But I got a litte 5 x 8 V-Nose trailer. We rode all the way this year. (about 4000 miles) trailered in years previous, and probably will trailer when we go west again. At least that is what the wife said!! (makes for about a 2500 mile ride that way) It just isn't a fun ride going west from Arkansas in late July and early August. There isn't really any way to go west from Arkansas, anytime of the year, that makes for a good ride! I guess I am spoiled. We have a great area to ride in here at home in the Ozarks. The interstates and long straight highways, i.e. OK, KS, NE. TX don't do a thing for me!! Gotta have me some mountains/twisties!!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 AM
catcher4
Stage III
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
I am, but I don't care if guys want to trailer their bike there, it's theirs and they can do what they want with it. I'm not going to join into the whole "I'm more of a man if I ride mine there", so this is probably not the response you're looking for.
Look, Sturgis isn't like any other rally in the world. It is a rally for riders not tourists. I is all about the bikes and those that no what that means. I agree that it doesn't matter if you rode or trailered but ......there are too many "riders" that wouldn't be there if they couldn't trailer. ....it is the road that make you a rider.....man or woman. Trailers and trikes are for those too old or sick to ride...its ok if you trailered and its ok if your triked, but do it for the right reason. If you just aren't a good enough rider to make the trip your probably shouldn't have your bike in Sturgis because that is when you can tell the riders from the wannabees. you have to earn you wings bro. Come to Sturgis and join the fun ....there is lots of parking for 4 wheels. Rear enders and line crossers cost lives!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 AM
catcher4
Stage III

Originally Posted by rsavage
I agree with you...you probably shouldn't get into the crowds. Not sure about the freedom thing though....freedom is not knowing where you are going to sleep tonight or pushing hard to outrun a storm before you rest. Kinda sounds like your freedom is as far as you can ride away from your "toy" hauler. My ride isn't a toy...its my life. for the record....I average about 12,000 miles a year with no plan and no toys. Thats my idea of freedom!

Old 12-22-2010, 12:43 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by catcher4
Look, Sturgis isn't like any other rally in the world. It is a rally for riders not tourists. I is all about the bikes and those that no what that means. I agree that it doesn't matter if you rode or trailered but ......there are too many "riders" that wouldn't be there if they couldn't trailer. ....it is the road that make you a rider.....man or woman. Trailers and trikes are for those too old or sick to ride...its ok if you trailered and its ok if your triked, but do it for the right reason. If you just aren't a good enough rider to make the trip your probably shouldn't have your bike in Sturgis because that is when you can tell the riders from the wannabees. you have to earn you wings bro. Come to Sturgis and join the fun ....there is lots of parking for 4 wheels. Rear enders and line crossers cost lives!
Whatever. I earned my 'badge of honor' so to speak, serving in the USMC so I don't give a R.A. what anyone thinks about how I ride. Conversly, I could give a **** less how others ride, whether they trailer, or don't trailer, chaps or no chaps, shorts or pants, long hair or short hair, boots or flip flops, I really don't care, as long as it makes you happy, then it's all good.

A person can look at bike week as bothersome. I choose to look at it as an opportunity to meet fellow riders that I wouldn't normally have the opportunity to meet. But to each their own.

Last edited by FLHTCU Owner; 12-22-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailer week at Sturgis