Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC-V stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Roadan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PC-V stupid question

I was hoping that I wouldn't need to go the tuner route, but after a long weekend riding with friends in the 90 degree heat the pinging finally began and of course the heat was too much. I hadn't had any pinging before this and had ridden in plenty of 90 deg. days before without any problems (except excessive heat). I think I also got some questionable gas which probably caused most of the problems. I only have V&H basic slipons on my 09 Ultra and had good luck without any other engine mods but the inevitable has happened....I called Fuel Moto.
Long story short, I am hoping to have the time to finally install my new and 1st ever PC-V and air cleaner this weekend and was wondering if I need to install the software on my computer 1st or can I just install the PC-V and go ride? Obviously, it came pre-mapped by FM so I wasn't sure if there was any other reasons. I know in doing a search for this I read about having to set the "zero throttle position" but I thought that was more for non- tbw bikes. I will eventually install the software (before if needed) but I don't want to be too tempted to screw around with it yet. I have a bad habit of trying to make good things better and only making them worse
Thanks for any input, Dan

Old 07-30-2010, 06:16 PM
kipd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel Moto sends them with a basic map to fit your setup. you will be good to go after you install the PCV. Later on if you want to change or adjust the maps you will need to install the software, but you should be fine.

Last edited by kipd; 07-30-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Roadan
Cruiser

Fuel Moto sends them with a basic map to fit your setup. you will be good to go after you install the PCV. Later on if you want to change or adjust the maps you will need to install the software, but you should be fine
Thats what I was hoping for. Curiosity will get me sooner or later and I'm sure I'll mess with it but I'd rather ride for now. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:47 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to turn the Rev Extend on on mine and also had to turn the Start up Fuel off. Not sure why it was on but it was a beast to start till I called and talke to Keith and he said it should be off. I would download the software, takes a few minutes and then install everything and hook it up. You will be surprised as to what you can see your bike doing on the computer when you are hooked up and running the program.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM
990rtracer
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

The PCV on my '08 Ultra from Fuel Moto was plug and play and forget about it, runs strong with no fla spots and no popping on decell.Only issue I had is I had to lose my battery cover under the seat to fit it all in there. Don't know if this is an issue with the '09 and up bikes? You will love the upgrades.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

They are plug and play but in my experience you won't see the heat drop until it's Dyno tuned properly and the afr is changed. Yes it'll run fine but it'll still be at EPA specs. Out of curiosity I'd like to know if the "custom" map they supply is also on the power commander site.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Roadan
Cruiser

Only issue I had is I had to lose my battery cover under the seat to fit it all in there.
Thats good to know as I also got one for my wifes 08 Electra Glide.
I had to turn the Rev Extend on on mine and also had to turn the Start up Fuel off. Not sure why it was on but it was a beast to start till I called and talke to Keith and he said it should be off. I would download the software, takes a few minutes and then install everything and hook it up. You will be surprised as to what you can see your bike doing on the computer when you are hooked up and running the program.
Ok so maybe I'll be installing the software sooner rather than later.
They are plug and play but in my experience you won't see the heat drop until it's Dyno tuned properly and the afr is changed
Dyno tune won't be in the budget this year. Can the afr be tweaked through the software without a dyno tune?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadan
Thats good to know as I also got one for my wifes 08 Electra Glide.

Ok so maybe I'll be installing the software sooner rather than later.

Dyno tune won't be in the budget this year. Can the afr be tweaked through the software without a dyno tune?
I can't say fir sure. Iclick or a few other members here seem to be up on that. But ask fuelmoto what it's set at. And if you can. I k ow I put mine on. Heat was no better. When I got to the dyno it was 98 degrees out and bikewas at 265 when he pulled it on. After an hour of runs and idling it was tuned and temp was 208.

I was told that all maps are within EPA specs due to dynojet paying out a million bucks to California for tampering with emissions control. I had to sign a release saying it was for off road use only.

Not saying that's gospel. Just what I was told. And have been trying to find a straight answer since.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Roadan
Cruiser

I can't say fir sure. Iclick or a few other members here seem to be up on that. But ask fuelmoto what it's set at. And if you can. I k ow I put mine on. Heat was no better. When I got to the dyno it was 98 degrees out and bikewas at 265 when he pulled it on. After an hour of runs and idling it was tuned and temp was 208.
Thats eventually what I'd like to have. I guess I'm at least started in the right direction. Thanks for all the info.
Gotta love this forum! Fills my brain and empties my wallet!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:32 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes.

Oh, wait... I thought the title of the thread was your question. Silly me.

SuperTuner or TTS & proper tune & you'll gladly forget you ever tried something different.

Quick Reply: PC-V stupid question