Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC-V stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RFG
They are plug and play but in my experience you won't see the heat drop until it's Dyno tuned properly and the afr is changed. Yes it'll run fine but it'll still be at EPA specs. Out of curiosity I'd like to know if the "custom" map they supply is also on the power commander site.
You must not be familiar with the service Fuel Moto provides. They dyno-tune hundreds of bikes and have developed a large library of maps for many different configurations. There's a strong chance of a perfect match for your hardware unless you have an exotic array of hardware installed, and their maps are not the same as those you can download from DJ.

Despite what you hear from some here and elsewhere, there is little difference from one bike to another and installing a map from a like-equipped bike dyno-tuned in WI will provide a very good tune for your bike in another part of the country.

Also, Fuel Moto tunes with a priority on performance and cooling, so dyno-tuning the bike after receiving a PCV with a "canned" map from them will likely do nothing toward a cooler-running bike. The AFRs they use (13.7 in the cruise range) are rich enough and you wouldn't want to go richer unless gas mileage is of no concern. I run 14.5 in that range and have no heat problems, even in this gawd-awful summer weather we're having.

Last edited by iclick; 07-30-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadan
I am hoping to have the time to finally install my new and 1st ever PC-V and air cleaner this weekend and was wondering if I need to install the software on my computer 1st or can I just install the PC-V and go ride?
Plug it in and ride. Your unit will come with a map that was selected just for your configuration, and you should notice a big difference right away.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RFG
Out of curiosity I'd like to know if the "custom" map they supply is also on the power commander site.
The MAP I received with for the Jackpots and SE A/C was the same one on the PC web site. Keith sent me another map that was leaned out and the timing adjusted. I run a switch with two MAPs.

Cale

Old 07-31-2010, 05:13 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
and their maps are not the same as those you can download from DJ.

Also, Fuel Moto tunes with a priority on performance and cooling, so dyno-tuning the bike after receiving a PCV with a "canned" map from them will likely do nothing toward a cooler-running bike. The AFRs they use (13.7 in the cruise range) are rich enough and you wouldn't want to go richer unless gas mileage is of no concern. I run 14.5 in that range and have no heat problems, even in this gawd-awful summer weather we're having.
I told the OP to ask you if you didnt see.. And no I dont believe that all the Maps they send out are their own.. Cause here's another member stating that the map he got was the one thats on the PC website.

Relax I'm not trying to defame FM which you must have stock in the company.. Just cant get a straight answer from anyone. Why is that?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:08 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by PhilM
Yes.

Oh, wait... I thought the title of the thread was your question. Silly me.

SuperTuner or TTS & proper tune & you'll gladly forget you ever tried something different.
Phil, he didn't ask about TTS or SEST and he already bought the PCV. Try to get over it. Instead of perennially hijacking PCV threads, why not try to help those with TTS or SEST questions, with which you are well-acquainted?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:23 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by RFG
I told the OP to ask you if you didnt see.. And no I dont believe that all the Maps they send out are their own.. Cause here's another member stating that the map he got was the one thats on the PC website.
One person said that in another thread sometime back, but he didn't post the two maps nor any other info about them. Ever curious, I even asked him to email me the two maps but I never received them. It is possible that FM did provide a DJ map, but that would only happen if they didn't have a map for the customer's configuration, and that would be a rare event. In that case I would bet they would have explained that to him in advance, as they don't have a reputation for half-assing their services.

Relax I'm not trying to defame FM which you must have stock in the company.. Just cant get a straight answer from anyone. Why is that?
Go back and re-read your earlier reply. You suggested that you couldn't get a grip on cooling problems without a dyno-tune, and this isn't true. FM's tunes are plenty rich to provide optimal cooling, and the maps I've seen run 13.7-13.8:1 in the cruise range. In stock form the bikes run 14.6:1.

Further, in another reply you said that "all maps are within EPA specs due to dynojet paying out a million bucks to California for tampering with emissions control. I had to sign a release saying it was for off road use only." You obviously bought your PCV somewhere else, but the info you are getting (from your tuner?) is untrue. It is certainly untrue that the maps from FM are EPA compliant, as they certainly are not. If that bothers anyone the PCV can be set leaner for most riding, which has the side-effect of giving better gas mileage, and switch to a richer map on the fly when needed. Thus you can be EPA compliant or very close, get good mileage, and have the ability to cool the bike down at the flip of a switch. That's the approach I take and it works very well.

Last edited by iclick; 07-31-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:34 AM
itsecuritygeek
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel Moto Rocks! I just got the new 4" Reinhart's, PCV, and breather. My 09 ultra runs great and is much cooler on the right side. Had a couple of questions during the install called the guy's and they walked me right through it.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:36 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

OP......my PCV from FM was installed 6 months ago on my 08 RKC. Plug n Play, I have not downloaded the disc yet. Have a new AT sitting on my bench and when winter comes will probably do the downloads, AT and SE255 cams (also sitting on bench).

I did no batt cover changes although it was a very tight fit all went in and bikes runs great enough for me with the FM map.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
One person said that in another thread sometime back, but he didn't post the two maps nor any other info about them. Ever curious, I even asked him to email me the two maps but I never received them. It is possible that FM did provide a DJ map, but that would only happen if they didn't have a map for the customer's configuration, and that would be a rare event. In that case I would bet they would have explained that to him in advance, as they don't have a reputation for half-assing their services.

Go back and re-read your earlier reply. You suggested that you couldn't get a grip on cooling problems without a dyno-tune, and this isn't true. FM's tunes are plenty rich to provide optimal cooling, and the maps I've seen run 13.7-13.8:1 in the cruise range. In stock form the bikes run 14.6:1.

Further, in another reply you said that "all maps are within EPA specs due to dynojet paying out a million bucks to California for tampering with emissions control. I had to sign a release saying it was for off road use only." You obviously bought your PCV somewhere else, but the info you are getting (from your tuner?) is untrue. It is certainly untrue that the maps from FM are EPA compliant, as they certainly are not. If that bothers anyone the PCV can be set leaner for most riding, which has the side-effect of giving better gas mileage, and switch to a richer map on the fly when needed. Thus you can be EPA compliant or very close, get good mileage, and have the ability to cool the bike down at the flip of a switch. That's the approach I take and it works very well.

ICLICK,

I sent you the leaned out MAP that FM sent me. In our email exchange, I said that the second MAP was on my Net Book in my bike, but it had the same name as the web site MAP, M15-011-026. When Keith emailed me the Fuel Eco MAP, he had me pull the original off the PC-V and name as Standard MAP. Then I uploaded Standard MAP and M015-011FUELECOv2 so I can use my switch.

I will resend the lean MAP with the one I pulled from the PC-V, check your email.

Cale

Old 07-31-2010, 10:26 AM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 990rtracer
The PCV on my '08 Ultra from Fuel Moto was plug and play and forget about it, runs strong with no fla spots and no popping on decell.Only issue I had is I had to lose my battery cover under the seat to fit it all in there. Don't know if this is an issue with the '09 and up bikes? You will love the upgrades.
called fuel moto on this...on a 08 there is no room on top of the battery so it is supposed to go under the rt side cover..you have to remove the battery and slide the main harness plug under the rt frame rail ,then reinstall battery...tons of room for everything there..

Quick Reply: PC-V stupid question