Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice: Keep my SG or trade for another?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010 | 02:11 PM
l4gxyj
|
Intermediate
Default Need advice: Keep my SG or trade for another?

Hey all,
Just looking for some opinions here on what would be the best thing to do.
My Bike:
2008 Street Glide Vivid black w/8500 miles
Python Exhaust
Iso Grips
Short tinted wind shield
Quick detach sissy bar
Everything else is stock

First off I don't like the color of the bike, it's black and looks just like all the others. It's a great bike, but I just wish it was another color. I can either sell it, which I already have a buyer for it, or I can repaint it. I've been looking at other bikes and this is one I found that is close to me and seems like a good deal.
2007 Ultra Classic w/ 7000 miles
It's been made to look just like a street glide in appearance. It's custom painted with airbrush work on the fairings. It has the following:
110" Screaming Eagle motor installed by HD
Stage 4 upgrade by HD
SERT
D&D Borzilla 2 into 1 exhaust
Powder coated front end
Willie G everything
Chrome heat shields
Chrome pieces around the bags like a SG
Painted inner fairing
Shorty windshield
Comes with Tour Pak, but not painted to match

My main question is: Do the motor and upgrades justify dropping back to a 07 from a 08? I can get this bike for $16,500 and I already have a buyer for my bike at $17,500. Should I do it or just spend the $2000-$2500 to repaint the one I have now??

Advice appreciated.

Old 07-30-2010 | 02:17 PM
chopperblueflhti
Cruiser

Just my .02...keep the bike you have, turn it into what you want...if you do feel like you can't hang with it..go for a 2009 or later..the most bang for the buck with the major mods and all...

Last edited by chopperblueflhti; 07-30-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2010 | 02:44 PM
l4gxyj
|
Intermediate

I don't know what you mean by "get a later model "most bang for the buck"? If I was to get a 09 or a 10 and do all those mods to it, I'd have atleast $25K in it if not more. I can keep my bike, that's not a big deal, I'll just pay to have it repainted. I just didn't know if the motor, stage 4, and other mods were worth dropping back a year model from 08 to 07.

Old 07-30-2010 | 06:47 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

If you have a buyer for your bike and your happy with the price your getting.....
go see your dealer and work out a deal on a left over 2010 that he has or can dealer trade for.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 07-30-2010 | 07:10 PM
TI06
Road Master

If I was in your shoes I would buy the 07 and sell your 08. Dropping a year isn't a big deal for those years. Dropping a year from 09 to 08 would be a big deal with all the changes in 09, but that doesn't concern you. The 07 has a lot more money into it and less miles, seems like a better deal for you. If you were thinking of doing the deal it wouldn't hurt to see what a trade in for a newer SG in a color you like would cost. Knowing you have a second deal worked out for the 07 already puts you in a good position to walk away if you don't get the price you want.

Old 07-30-2010 | 10:24 PM
mike greeno
Advanced

I just got a 2010 sg and can belive the differance from my old 2007 sg. They may look the same but there two differant animals.I'd drive one and see if you cant get a screeming deal on a 2010. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-30-2010 | 11:38 PM
Trumanator
Cruiser

Buy 2009 , 2010, 2011...never go backwards. 2009 and up redesigned. My $0.02

Old 07-31-2010 | 12:02 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

if i were you, and in some cases i am as i also own an 08 streetglide in vivid black, i'd keep what you have. stepping back to 07 will give you a smaller fuel tank, no ids, no brembo brake system etc. from my perspective 08 was one of harleys best years. it has the frame which has stood the test of time, the bigger fuel tank, throttle by wire, etc. i'm very likely on my last harley as i see no need to replace it. if i were to trade mine in on another harley i already know i'd be regretting the change. i'm old enough to know when to be happy with what you got. remember the old saying about the grass always being greener on the other side of the fence? that's just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Old 07-31-2010 | 12:23 AM
Saint666
Tourer

Do you have any pics of the bikes?....

Old 07-31-2010 | 12:29 AM
Grizzx2
Tourer

Originally Posted by emwolb
if i were you, and in some cases i am as i also own an 08 streetglide in vivid black, i'd keep what you have. stepping back to 07 will give you a smaller fuel tank, no ids, no brembo brake system etc. from my perspective 08 was one of harleys best years. it has the frame which has stood the test of time, the bigger fuel tank, throttle by wire, etc. i'm very likely on my last harley as i see no need to replace it. if i were to trade mine in on another harley i already know i'd be regretting the change. i'm old enough to know when to be happy with what you got. remember the old saying about the grass always being greener on the other side of the fence? that's just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Yea, What he said....
You have to do what you feel is right for you.

Quick Reply: Need advice: Keep my SG or trade for another?