Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:58 AM
hubble
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been using AMSOIL and K&N filters now for 26,000 miles, no issues.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 AM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
Uhhh, Dave's not here, man ......
Man, who didn't see that response coming.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Alabamaslammer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed to Amsoil 20/50 in all 3 holes about 10k ago and it sure made my top end a lot quieter than using Syn 3 20/50. I have all the faith in the world in Amsoil.My riding season here gets up to about 95F and shes as quiet as she should be.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:51 AM
motown
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short and sweet ! Here's the bottom line guys ! there are some benifits to using a good syn oil. amsoil, mobil 1 H-D SYN whatever , if there werent H-D would NOT have spent the time and money for R-D for H-D SYN ,and would not be shipping some new bikes from the factory with H-D syn oil in the crank cases. what ever oil you run ,If you maintain your scoot the way it is supposed to be and use a good quilaty filter , you will not have any problems , H-D crude 20/50 and change every 3,000 miles you will be fine ,if you use a good syn you will get longer drain intervals

what fun we r having !!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just curious, anyone have any high mileage bikes (say 100K +) that have always been using syn oil? What kinda shape are the Engines in?

Old 07-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow what a terrible story. I've never heard of this with Amsoil that I can recall. Can't really imagine what could have gone wrong or if there's such a thing as "a bad run" of oil? I used Amsoil 20W-50 for 90,000+ and never had a problem in my '05 EGC.

It's been increasingly hard to find Amsoil locally here and the price has gone up 40% or more so between those two things I've switched to Mobile One 20W-50 and even used the 15W-50 Mobile One with good results.

Sorry to hear of your nightmarish experience. Not sure what to think other than some sort of contamination? Not sure how that could happen either unless a vandal poured something foreign into your motor during the night? It's baffling...

Old 07-31-2010, 01:33 PM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to say that I feel it's some kind of filter issue. This could lead to the noise, low oil pressure. But no one has seen any damage to an engine,,,,,,that speaks volumes!!!! I had something similar happen to my big block, after the dyno tune, set it in the car and the filter colapsed. Just sayin'

Last edited by chevele72; 07-31-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
And do you think letting the company (AmsOil) that produced the oil that MAY have caused the problem, test the oil? You really think they're gonna come back and tell you "yes, it was our oil that was bad, we'll pay that repair bill?" C'mon! Are some people really that gullible? I think AmsOil is a big pyramid sales rip-off company, and I wouldn't trust them one bit. JMHO
Amsoil does not test their own oil,independent labs do,as does all the comparison tests of other oils.Sounds to me like your mind is made up no matter the outcome.JMHO

Old 07-31-2010, 03:25 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SFTF 1 is 100% correct with his thread.

I have been riding in the 103+ degree temps in south Georgia heat using only Amsoil and K&N filters for many years with no issues.

What most folks don't know about oil especially synthetic oil is scary. Why do people think a synthetic oil is "magic" and will do magical things to your engine. It's simply a better engineered, refined more stable oil designed for extreme temps and operating conditions.

I can assure you it's not the Amsoil. Oil in a hot Harley engine (or any engine) in 100 degree weather will be water like in appearance. Just looking at the oil will tell you nothing. As oil heats up it thins out but synthetics remain shear stable for longer periods of time under max heat conditions.

Sounds like you had a plugged filter, improper filter or plugged oil line and the oil was not cooling properly due to improper flow. Better be glad you had synthetic in the engine if this was the case.

Last edited by SteveO; 07-31-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:00 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
Amsoil does not test their own oil,independent labs do,as does all the comparison tests of other oils.Sounds to me like your mind is made up no matter the outcome.JMHO
No, I just get sick of hearing all the BS that Amsoil puts out. BTW, I use Mobil One V-Twin, and I can get it anywhere. I don't need to order from some pyramid salesman. As I said, that doesn't bother some people, it does me. Some people will swallow anything.

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience