Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:09 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Amsoil and have been extremely happy with them. I don't know what happened to you but they're a respected brand and go through rigorous testing. Good luck with the Redline.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:29 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
No, I just get sick of hearing all the BS that Amsoil puts out. BTW, I use Mobil One V-Twin, and I can get it anywhere. I don't need to order from some pyramid salesman. As I said, that doesn't bother some people, it does me. Some people will swallow anything.

If all the so called BS that Amsoil puts out had no substance,trust me, the other oil manufacturers (including Mobil) would be doing their damndest to publicly disprove it. If or when that happens, you can bet your sweet **** that it will be plastered all over the net and motorcycle rags!

Last edited by dirtracin23; 08-02-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
No, I just get sick of hearing all the BS that Amsoil puts out. BTW, I use Mobil One V-Twin, and I can get it anywhere. I don't need to order from some pyramid salesman. As I said, that doesn't bother some people, it does me. Some people will swallow anything.

I do order my Amsoil online only because I choose to. I have about 4 HD Dealers in driving distance that sells Amsoil now. Big racks full of it right next to the Syn3...

Old 07-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

I've been a loyal Amsoil fan for close to 20 yrs. I've ran it shovels, evos and twin cams. Even use it in my car and truck and have never had an oil related issue. There are 1000's of bikes out there using Amsoil. If there was a problem with the oil we would surely see a lot more of these type reports. I understand the OP's reluctance to stick with Amsoil but you have to look at the facts. I would bet anything that these isolated cases are due to mechanical failure of some sort.

Lastly, i will add my own experience. Last summer i was coming out of Gatlinburg, TN and got stuck in the worst traffic jam of my life. Nothing but stop-n-go traffic for nearly 2 hours. Bike was smokin hot - my right leg was roasting and nowhere to pull over. Finally got out of the traffic jam and rode another 500 miles to destination (home). Next day i decided to change the oil thinking maybe it broke down - probably had about 2500 miles on it. To my surprise the oil still looked fairly clean and found no shaving on the drain plug.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,537 Posts

so i just read all the posts on this. and the thing that i notice most? if it had been any oil other than amsoil, a lot of folks would be jumping up and down saying 'here's your proof', but since its amsoil, well, there must be something else wrong. syn3 (or insert any other brand here.....) is thin, bad oil. amsoil is thin, and you're immediately asked if your eyeball is calibrated for viscosity.....

like mentioned, i don't care for their pyramid like sales, their own testing, and the fact that they use tests that no one else does. and i believe that most oil co. will warrant your repair if it is due to an oil failure, so that really doesn't make me have extra warm fuzzies for amsoil.

the best policy is to use whatever you are happy with using, but change it on a regular basis (i use mfg suggested intervals) and the odds are very much in your favor that you will not have an oil related problem with your bike.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Motorman10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to chime in on this debate. My agency has 15 motors that we use. 9 are used daily for 10 hours and the spares are used occasionally. I'm located in a heavy populated Northern Virginia city and we run these motors in heavy congested traffic and in high temps [90-100+ in the summer] we have motor training once a month and compete in Rodeos. We use Amsoil 20/50 and never had a problem. On a different note- I was using torco 50w in my SG with a 117 build. Torco was recommended to me by my engine builder. While on a trip to OBX, my temp guage was reading 250+ and the engine light came on while stuck in traffic. I ran 250 while moving. The next day, I pick up some Amsoil 20/50 at the local NAPA store and dropped the oil. Before I left, I did an oil change, so need to replace the oil filter. After the change - i ran 200 degrees in 90 temps while on a 100 mile ride to hattera's and back. The day we left, it was 100 degrees with the heat index, My bike never went over 230 degrees. I'm sold on amsoil for the case. Side note: Engine: Amsoil 20/50, Tranny- Redline Shockproof, and primary - B&M trickshift synthetic. All three are different colors and I will know what is leaking, if I ever have a leak. just my .02

Old 07-31-2010, 08:26 PM
motomanbrian2009
Stage I

Amsoil is not the same oil it used to be , i sold it for 10 years

Old 08-01-2010, 04:53 PM
wayne72472
Cruiser

i had amsoil in 2 bikes, changed both at the same time the dyna sounds great the ultra sounds like a washing machine. wife and i road to li sturgis, had the same miles, same gas, the ultra was tapping but the dyna didnt. changed the oil in the ultra and drove it about 5 miles just as quite as the dyna i kept the oil and will contact amsoil to see if they want a sample

Old 08-01-2010, 05:54 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by wayne72472
i had amsoil in 2 bikes, changed both at the same time the dyna sounds great the ultra sounds like a washing machine. wife and i road to li sturgis, had the same miles, same gas, the ultra was tapping but the dyna didnt. changed the oil in the ultra and drove it about 5 miles just as quite as the dyna i kept the oil and will contact amsoil to see if they want a sample
Did you save the filter. I'm still wondering if that is the problem. While we all have our favorite oil, I don't think any of them, including Syn3, would do what the original writer experienced. Had to be something else like the filter.

Beary

Old 08-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by skratch
so i just read all the posts on this. and the thing that i notice most? if it had been any oil other than amsoil, a lot of folks would be jumping up and down saying 'here's your proof', but since its amsoil, well, there must be something else wrong. syn3 (or insert any other brand here.....) is thin, bad oil. amsoil is thin, and you're immediately asked if your eyeball is calibrated for viscosity.....

like mentioned, i don't care for their pyramid like sales, their own testing, and the fact that they use tests that no one else does. and i believe that most oil co. will warrant your repair if it is due to an oil failure, so that really doesn't make me have extra warm fuzzies for amsoil.

the best policy is to use whatever you are happy with using, but change it on a regular basis (i use mfg suggested intervals) and the odds are very much in your favor that you will not have an oil related problem with your bike.
You are right, we all have our favorite oil. And, the fact is none of it is really bad. IMO, Amsoil is at the top of the food chain when it comes to synthetic oil - they basically wrote the book. As far as the pyramid sales, it's just their chosen way of advertising/sales - has absolutely nothing to do with the product.

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience