Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 PM
mrmatw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I agree, what you run, you run.. How ever I appreciated the results

I'm still using Amsoil, I use it in all my vehicles. Past 6 years I like the end results on each oil change, no grime, no extra worn materials showing up on the magnet other than the dust. I'm pretty confident that my engine is clean as a whistle and very happy with the end results for the way it stays cool and lubricated. I have an 09 with 32 k on it and the dealership can vouch that this machine is babied yet ridden like a rider should. Sure it's expensive on one end of the perspective, but so is the investment I made in the machinery I put my faith and trust in. Less break downs, less worries that something isn't being lubricated. Thanks to both inputs to enable me to see that my money is still going in the right direction. Of course it's my opinion and I value yours as well.
Ride Hard, Long and arrive Safe.

Thanks again for your time and test results.
\
Tom
Ret USAF
Ret USAF

Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
Obviously you didn't understand what I said. That doesn't surprise me! I'm not worried about sludge buildup in my engine. Never said I was! I don't run dino oil in my bike. I don't care what you or anyone else runs in yours. I'm sure being retired, I ride my bike more than you do yours. I've had my new RK less than 6 weeks and I have over 4K miles on it. If you are so confident in the Dino oil you run, why spend money having Blackstone lab test it? Why come on here and even discuss it? when somebody ask the question about the oil I recommend, I report the facts as I know them. Synthetic motor oil out performs Dino oil in every test that's been done.
You make some good points, despite confusing him with the facts. I think some would rather run on "bro logic" since they can get away with it. And it's not like Harleys don't have mechanical failures. My intentions are to have LESS failure probability (oh, isn't THAT just one of the BIG words?) and since I'll be the one doing the rebuild and footing the bill when it's time, the less I have to replace, the more cash in my pocket, or cash for upgrades.
I see a rather large difference in refined crude and an engineered oil. It was the whole point of developing it in the first place.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
You make some good points, despite confusing him with the facts. I think some would rather run on "bro logic" since they can get away with it. And it's not like Harleys don't have mechanical failures. My intentions are to have LESS failure probability (oh, isn't THAT just one of the BIG words?) and since I'll be the one doing the rebuild and footing the bill when it's time, the less I have to replace, the more cash in my pocket, or cash for upgrades.
I see a rather large difference in refined crude and an engineered oil. It was the whole point of developing it in the first place.
LOL, I think he is confused! I don't know why he took what you said about sludge and run off on the reliability of Harley engines. I'm sure a Harley engine will run 150K miles on Dino oil, But I'll garantee you it will have more wear and more sludge buildup than if he had run Synthetic. Plus you will need more frequent oil changes. An oil engineer was the one that said the 3K mile oil change was created because Dino oil starts breaking down around 2500 miles. and that was in a car engine. If I were going to run Dino oil in my harley, I would change the oil every 2K miles.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:07 AM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
LOL, I think he is confused!
I'm not confused. I had my oil tested before and after I installed a reusable oil filter to see how it was working. Those tests confirmed that my engine is wearing fine after about 21K miles. I'll test it again as I get closer to 40k just for my own curiosity.

Congratulations on the retirement, enjoy it. I usually don't get more than 10k a year on my bike. Someday I'm sure that will change.

I don't think that the boutique oils that you use will hurt your motor, I just get tired of hearing that Harley puts out such a bad product that they won't last past 100k with conventional oil.

Obviously you didn't "confuse me with facts" because, like every oil thread there are no facts. Only opinions based mostly on advertising material. The only "facts" I've seen in this thread are the UOA's that show normal wear regardless of oil used.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is some interesting information about oils. I've only read part of it so far and have found some good information for those that may be interested.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
I'm not confused. I had my oil tested before and after I installed a reusable oil filter to see how it was working. Those tests confirmed that my engine is wearing fine after about 21K miles. I'll test it again as I get closer to 40k just for my own curiosity.

Congratulations on the retirement, enjoy it. I usually don't get more than 10k a year on my bike. Someday I'm sure that will change.

I don't think that the boutique oils that you use will hurt your motor, I just get tired of hearing that Harley puts out such a bad product that they won't last past 100k with conventional oil.

Obviously you didn't "confuse me with facts" because, like every oil thread there are no facts. Only opinions based mostly on advertising material. The only "facts" I've seen in this thread are the UOA's that show normal wear regardless of oil used.
Thanks, If you go back and read everyone of my post, you won't find a one that says anything about harley engines failing from using Dino oils.What I have said is synthetic oil IMO is better in these hot running v-twins and will prolong engine life. I also don't rely on advertising by oil manufacturers. I rely on simple logic, my own experience and the test we conducted at the company I worked for. (That was on gear oils at work). If I were still working, I would gladly post some data on here from test we conducted. we sent all our samples out to independent labs. Synthetic oils are far better lubrication. If I remember correctly didn't iclick comment on one of the Blackstone lab test you posted, something about your viscosity reading was in the lower range with no more miles than your oil was run?
I have seen other independent test where dino oil was tested under high temp. conditions simular to what the newer 96 V-twins run and they suffered a loss in viscosity. I respect your's and anybody elses decision to run dino oil. I just feel better using the Synthetic oils. JMO

Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Great! Found out I'm using a "botique" oil.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:00 PM
loc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If HD Syn 3 ran 6100 miles in 110 heat why did you change to Redline if you were satified with the HD Syn 3?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I just read the whole article and a couple of the excerpts that Bikes posted in post #265 and it was good stuff - more evidence for syns but a realistic view of dino's and what not to use.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not know what to say, except something just does not sound right. I really find it hard to believe the AMSOIL is the issue.

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience