Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:39 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Yup, that's what he said.
I'm also switching but not because of any dissatisfaction with Amsoil. I can get 5qt. jugs of the Mobil 1 15-50 for $21 locally. Excellent reports on it.
You better jump on this 5qt. jug of 15W-50 for $21 cause my local Walmart Superstore doesn't carry it anymore and I've heard rumors that it's discontinued (not the 15W-50 but the jug). I paid $6.80 per qt which is still a great deal compared to Amsoil. I've been using Amsoil 20W-50 for years but now that it sells for more than $11 a qt. , Mobil1 is a much better deal and I can't tell the difference.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:55 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,843 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Funny, my 20-50 HD dino oil broke down on my ride to Sturgis just like the OP.
In my case it was because my PCV was jacked up and my bike overheated like 20 times though...

lp

Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
This is where the garbage starts to become "fact" to some. Honestly, if Harley was building engines that couldn't run 100k out of the box with conventional motor oil and no additional coolers or garbage on the bike why would anybody buy one? I wouldn't give them a nickle if the product was that bad, I put gas in it, change the fluids, and ride it.

Why would you buy a Harley if you think their product is that bad? Honestly!
Do you have proof that what he's saying is garbage oil man? You always want proof of what someone says, show us your proof that he's wrong about dino oil causing sludge buildup in an engine over time. It's already been proven that it does!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:32 PM
dres22
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love these oil threads. This one just killed the last 2 hours of my day. Time to go home. Syn vs Dino the never ending debate. One more question when you but your oil do you use paper or plastic?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by dres22
Love these oil threads. This one just killed the last 2 hours of my day. Time to go home. Syn vs Dino the never ending debate. One more question when you but your oil do you use paper or plastic?
When you but your oil???? Were you screwing the company and reading the HDforum at work??..LOL

Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
You better jump on this 5qt. jug of 15W-50 for $21 cause my local Walmart Superstore doesn't carry it anymore and I've heard rumors that it's discontinued (not the 15W-50 but the jug). I paid $6.80 per qt which is still a great deal compared to Amsoil. I've been using Amsoil 20W-50 for years but now that it sells for more than $11 a qt. , Mobil1 is a much better deal and I can't tell the difference.
Yup, I bought enough for several oil changes. BTW, I can still get Amsoil for alot less than $11 shipped.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I run 20W50 motorcycle oil of any brand in my rides. The stock 2010 Ultra with cats went 4K miles in mid July during the 102 to 105 degree heat wave the south was having without any problem. I was even caught for over an hour in a tie up on the Interstate due to a car accident in Kentucky when the temp was 102. The bike never went into the mode cutting off the rear cylinder. It may have reached the phase when it adds a little fuel to the rear cylinder. But there is no way I could tell.

When I got back, I did the 5K myself with the same 20W50 oil. Ran the bike to Sturgis and back for 2,400 miles more.

Syn oil of any band will not increase the life of a motor. Your HD will go 100 to 150K with either syn or mineral. A car motor will go up to 300k before a rebuild.

All syn oil is BLENDED with mineral oil. The U.S. is the only country that allows this. Europe must be true 100% syn to call it 100%.

Google synthetic oil and read. You will learn a lot.

There is only one true test for the capability of oil. That is to take three ball bearings in a heated cup with a ram pressing down on them at an increasing pressure and heat. When the bearings seize the pressure and temp that they do it at will let you know where that brand of oil stands.

Ever see any Syn company report those results. Nope. Oil companies used to report that. I remember an ad from about 15 to 20 years ago on TV showing the test being done and the company bragging about the result as it was better than brand X.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-24-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I run 20W50 motorcycle oil of any brand in my rides. The stock 2010 Ultra with cats went 4K miles in mid July during the 102 to 105 degree heat wave the south was having without any problem. I was even caught for over an hour in a tie up on the Interstate due to a car accident in Kentucky when the temp was 102. The bike never went into the mode cutting off the rear cylinder. It may have reached the phase when it adds a little fuel to the rear cylinder. But there is no way I could tell.

When I got back, I did the 5K myself with the same 20W50 oil. Ran the bike to Sturgis and back for 2,400 miles more.

Syn oil of any band will not increase the life of a motor. Your HD will go 100 to 150K with either syn or mineral. A car motor will go up to 300k before a rebuild.

All syn oil is BLENDED with mineral oil. The U.S. is the only country that allows this. Europe must be true 100% syn to call it 100%.

Google synthetic oil and read. You will learn a lot.

There is only one true test for the capability of oil. That is to take three ball bearings in a heated cup with a ram pressing down on them at an increasing pressure and heat. When the bearings seize the pressure and temp that they do it at will let you know where that brand of oil stands.

Ever see any Syn company report those results. Nope. Oil companies used to report that. I remember an ad from about 15 to 20 years ago on TV showing the test being done and the company bragging about the result as it was better than brand X.
Isn't this the same test that Amsoil does with four ball bearings. I think it's called the four ball test? Theres been all kinds of test done on motor oils. Consumer Reports did one on Dino oil some years back. I can't remember the Professors name that did an independent test on different types of motor oils. lots of test!!!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:18 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
show us your proof that he's wrong about dino oil causing sludge buildup in an engine over time. It's already been proven that it does!
Really? now you're worried about sludge buildup in your engine? Honestly? I wonder how some of you ever ride a mile without pulling over to check the torque of your muffler bearings.

Since it's "been proven" I'll go search this forum of tens of thousands of members for threads about motors breaking down due to excessive engine sludge. How many do you think I'll find?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
Really? now you're worried about sludge buildup in your engine? Honestly? I wonder how some of you ever ride a mile without pulling over to check the torque of your muffler bearings.

Since it's "been proven" I'll go search this forum of tens of thousands of members for threads about motors breaking down due to excessive engine sludge. How many do you think I'll find?
Obviously you didn't understand what I said. That doesn't surprise me! I'm not worried about sludge buildup in my engine. Never said I was! I don't run dino oil in my bike. I don't care what you or anyone else runs in yours. I'm sure being retired, I ride my bike more than you do yours. I've had my new RK less than 6 weeks and I have over 4K miles on it. If you are so confident in the Dino oil you run, why spend money having Blackstone lab test it? Why come on here and even discuss it? when somebody ask the question about the oil I recommend, I report the facts as I know them. Synthetic motor oil out performs Dino oil in every test that's been done.

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience