Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lrays280z
It's strange the oil leak stopped when I dumped the synthetic. Maybe old/bad seals. Who cares? I'm not going fix seals that aren't leaking just because I want to pay $10.00 - $12.00 for a quart of mystery marketing oil.
I have assumed it was common knowledge that syn molecules are all the same size, whereas dino has a large range. This is why syn will leak through a poor seal easier and does make a bit more noise. But the impact and shear protection of syn is greater than dino in every test you can find, independent or not. Let alone flash points and other criteria.
But if you like sludge for blood, who am I to say you're wrong?
It's not a matter of "making up reasons" to run an oil, it's study. Due to that, I'm switching now to Mobil1 15/50 from Amsoil. Number two, but very much cheaper at $21/5 qts. I'll simply change a little earlier if it needs it.
How much you paying for that HD oil that they get kickbacks from?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 AM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
But if you like sludge for blood, who am I to say you're wrong?
This is where the garbage starts to become "fact" to some. Honestly, if Harley was building engines that couldn't run 100k out of the box with conventional motor oil and no additional coolers or garbage on the bike why would anybody buy one? I wouldn't give them a nickle if the product was that bad, I put gas in it, change the fluids, and ride it.

Why would you buy a Harley if you think their product is that bad? Honestly!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Crazy E BFMC 71
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetbaboo
I hope you're as happy with Redline as I am. I've been running Redline 20W50 Synthetic Oil, V-Twin Transmission Oil with Shockproof, and V-Twin Primary Case Oil for a year now; they are excellent products.
I used them and did not like them at all availability sucks, if you r traveling. I had to flush it out after use, because it stuck so good to all the part but it burned up in the desert part of my trip. the oil went in pink and came out caramel in color not to mention anything goes wrong and hd will def know it not their oil.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Crazy E BFMC 71
Advanced

Originally Posted by smokindave
Just got back last Sunday from a 21 day, 7,500 mi trip out to the west coast and back. Thought I would share my experience with an oil issue I had.

Leaving Oh and heading to Sturgis is about 1,400 mi for us. I left on 7/5 and it was in the mid to high 90's all the way out. At about half way through S.D. I started hearing more engine noises, especially lifter noise. After we got to Sturgis and checked into the motel we wanted to head up to Deadwood. Went out to start the bike and the motor made so much noise I thought the motor was going to self destruct. Lifter noise was really bad with a very loud top end rattle or primary noise when when I revved it up.

Decided to head for Black hills HD to have it checked out. The head mechanic came out to hear the motor and he said, " that's the most noise he ever heard a motor make". Well, I had to have the motor taken apart to see what had happened. When he drained the motor oil, the oil was as thin as water and was black as tar. This after 1,400 mi. In order to make sure no damage was done to the motor, the motor was disassembled, removing the top end, cams and primary cover (as it sounded like it was rattling in the primary).

After taking a mic and checking everything, no damage was found and everything was normal. I felt I had to at least do this much tear down to make sure I had a motor that would finish the 7,500 mi trip.

Conclusion: The Amsoil probably lost it's vicosity in the high 90 degree heat and had literally burned up, even though I maintained oil pressure (thankfully). The engine noise's I had were from the viscosity not taking up the engine tolerances built into all motors. The motor was put back together and HD syn was put in. I completed my trip, across the desert twice and riding in temps over 110 degrees, with no more problems. Was it bad oil? You make the call, I am only giving the facts as it happened. I have since replaced all three holes with Redline and will now see how this oil runs. Sorry for the long story.
I had same issue OH to sturgis oil didn't hold up went back to se syn3

Old 08-24-2010, 11:08 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

Mobil 1 15/50 FROM Amsoil?

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 08-24-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:13 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Mobil 1 15/50 FROM Amsoil??????
I guess he meant he switched FROM Amsoil TO Mobil1 15W-50. Nothing wrong with that. I did it 2 weeks ago and I can't tell the difference, except that Mobil 1 costs $4 less per quart.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:13 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Last edited by frenchbiker; 08-24-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I guess he meant he switched FROM Amsoil TO Mobil1 15W-50. Nothing wrong with that. I did it 2 weeks ago and I can't tell the difference, except that Mobil 1 costs $4 less per quart.
Oh....OK........it was just worded wrong I guess. LOL

Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Yup, that's what he said.
I'm also switching but not because of any dissatisfaction with Amsoil. I can get 5qt. jugs of the Mobil 1 15-50 for $21 locally. Excellent reports on it.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM
RenoGlide
Tourer

For what its worth...

Ive used Amsoil for a long time, no complaints. Last oil change went to Redline 20-50 because I couldn't get the Amsoil when I wanted it. Motor seemed noiser from the start than w/ Amsoil but I left it in there for 5200 mi... I dont like to waste money. Just did the oil change & went back to Amsoil. Motor is definately quieter now.....

Its your money, buy what makes ya happy

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience