Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:38 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A temporary engine problem? Wouldn't that be nice if they fixed themselves!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:07 PM
widowmaker221
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it ani't broke don't fix it and Dino has worked fine for years!

Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just make too much sense! A lot of those that worry about their engines trade bikes every time a new model comes out so what good does spending 12.00 per quart of oil do? I had my experience with Amsoil and Mobile 1 too....noisy, leaky motor. Sticking with Dino in my 02 RKC with gear drive 42K miles!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

If it leaks it wasn't put together right. Don't blame the oil.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

Well I have to comment on this as well. Last time I took my bike in for the service(They gave me the 3yr service warranty when I purchased the bike),I was talking with one of the HD techs in the back. He begged me not to use Synthetic oil in the TX heat. He showed me a cup of some oill he had pulled out of another bike,not only was it black(Which means it is working),but it was room tempature and it was as runny as water. He swears the absolute best to use is regular 20-50,at least in the TX summer. I have been a mechanic all my adult life,and I have always used regular oil,and to me,oil is oil. I just put some Amsoil in my wifes Heritage,and I can honestly say that it don't seem any quieter,or cooler,or any better. Actualy,I can hear the engine noise alot clearer now. The only benefit I can see from using synthetic oils is more milage between oil changes. If oil comes out clean,even if it is lubing,it is probably not helping to keep inside engine parts as clean as it should. I pulled a small block chevy apart once because of tapping and unusual loud noises. The owner only used Penzoil,and had told me it always came out really clean looking. The cam,crank,piston rods,and rockers were all gummed up with clean looking nasty oil. The push rods were so bad that no oil could even get through them. Just my opinion,from the old school,when I change the oil again,I will go back to regular 20-50 oil. If it ain't broke,don't fix it. Here in TX with the temp reaching 107 degrees today,I don't need the oil to start out thin and runny.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I use a digital laser thermometer for temp checks and definitely the bike runs cooler on the Amsoil. Noisier a little bit, yes, but that's standard for syn. Me, I'll go by the lab tests and the two top oils that were tortured and examined test by test.
I've had some of the worst advice from Harley "mechanics" this year, even including telling me I absolutely COULD NOT run a 50 pilot jet I swore I needed.
After months of pops and stalls I put one in anyways and VOILA! - idles dang near perfect. I could probably use a 52 this winter. And yes, I'd replaced the inlet rubbers.
I'm not saying dino will hurt anything either.
As for temporary engine problems; yeah. That sort of thing has happened since we had engines. Carb floats stick for a minute, electronics can take an error, injectors can stick open - and "fix" themselves a minnit later.

Last edited by Quadancer; 08-24-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:24 AM
lrays280z
Road Master

Originally Posted by Quadancer
If it leaks it wasn't put together right. Don't blame the oil.
It's strange the oil leak stopped when I dumped the synthetic. Maybe old/bad seals. Who cares? I'm not going fix seals that aren't leaking just because I want to pay $10.00 - $12.00 for a quart of mystery marketing oil.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 AM
wrongway2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is that after swithching back to HD dino 1,000 miles ago, I'm happier with the way the bike sounds. No more clanging and banging as if the lifters are ready to leave the engine.

It works for me anyway so I guess that's what's important, is that it works for the person riding the bike.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Always get a kick out of the excuses people use to do the things they do.Either you like synthetic or you don't the same goes for dino oil.long before I ever converted to synthetics and before the extended oil change intervals,read all I could find about the benefits,in an internal combustion engine.Those that do not read or believe what they read or whatever their reasons for not using synthetics,will believe or fabricate what they need to keep using dino oil.Not a thing wrong with that.
Have been building engines and drive trains since the 60's and seen a lot of them apart and clearly know the differences in wear from using the two different lubes and not all of them are created equal.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

That is a total surprise to me. I used Amsoil 20w50 syn for two years in my 06 Ultra and after 1000 change in my 10 Ultra. The difference was indesputably noticeable. Significantly less value noise over syn3 20w50. I believe syn3 is part dyno. Anyway, I read the various forums a lot and your post is the first negative post about Amsoil I have EVER seen. I have to guess that something diluted your oil. Maybe vandalism at overnight hotel stops??? Honestly, it's so out of character for amsoil that I suspect foul play!
I suppose something like an extremely lean running condition (an ECM malfunction) with oil temps approaching 300F could have done it. That harley engine is pretty bullet proof though isn't it? No visable damage? Very cool. Good luck moving forward. You might add an oil cooler just for insurance and longevity.

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience