Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:26 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
.....no I'm not looking up the data for you.......They will still get more engine wear than with synthetic.

You knew I'd ask that and you knew you couldn't find it. Spread it for what it is, opinion based on marketing material. Don't get mad, why would I care what you put in your engine. There is the old saying that if something gets repeated enough, it becomes truth. That is what we are dealing with here.

Enjoy your day.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:26 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
You are a smart man Frenchbiker. It's best to ignore this guy!

I'm not ringing my own bell, but I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer. The company I worked for got together a team to improve the reliability of our machinery because we were having huge amounts of downtime due to failures from wear. I was asked to be on that team. We conducted numerous tests with different lubricants. We sent all our samples out to independent labs for results of our test. We cut our downtime and repair cost dramatically by switching to Synthetic oils and grease. I'm not saying Amsoil is the best, But if it's not, why don't some of it's competitors prove them wrong. As for Dino oil, If you want sludge buildup and frequent oil changes, plus shorter engine life, use it!! I'll stay with the syntheics. JMO
Trust me, I'll be back to Amsoil very soon. I shouldn't have tried another oil to begin with but at 5 bucks a quart, the mistake cost me only 20 bucks..... and another oil change.
Live and learn.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
My own recent experience:

I have 9,000 miles on my 09 Ultra.
I did an oil change last Friday after 3,700 miles since the last one. The bike has only seen Amsoil 20W-50 since break-in.
I wanted to try a so-called high performance semi-synthetic oil called Brad Penn (formerly Kendall).
After some 300 miles using Brad Penn, I can tell without a doubt that the engine runs noticeably hotter than with Amsoil so I'm gonna go back to Amsoil ASAP.
Brad Penn is much cheaper than Amsoil (less than 5 bucks a quart), but now I know why. Not that it's an inferior oil, actually it's the contrary, but I haven't spent all these $$$ to make my bike run cooler to have it back to square 1 because of the oil.
I love the Brad Penn. If you used the High performance Oil and you are going to write about how bad it is then maybe you should use the right stuff. You used the auto oil, not the motorcycle blend. The motorcycle is full dino based oil. Has no synthetic added. I love the stuff. Used a few different synthetics and with the V2 Brad Penn there is no added heat that I have noticed and that is in ND 100 degree summer. Motor and primary every 4000 miles. Very few days do you see that in the "Burgh", I know this because I grew up there. If you want to knock it, please use the right stuff. The stuff you used is very popular with the racers for high revving water cooled motors. The V2 is a total different blend.

Just Saying

Specifically designed with twin V domestic and imported motorcycle engine technology/lubrication needs in mind. This SAE 20W-50 motorcycle oil is formulated with Pennsylvania Grade base oils and superior additive chemistry making it a great choice to use in applications calling for one lubricant for the engine, transmission/wet clutch and primary chain systems (if applicable). Meets JASO MA frictional performance requirements. A good multi-viscosity choice for use in V twin engines such as those found in Harley-Davidson® motorcycles where a 20W-50 API SJ, CF, CG-4 or CH-4 quality oil is specified. Also suitable for use in S&S®, RevTech®, Triumph®, Ducati®, BMW®, Victory®, and other domestic and imported motorcycles where an SAE 20W-50 viscosity, API SJ, SH, SG, CH-4, CG-4, or CF oil is specified. Always consult your owner’s manual for proper oil viscosity and quality selection.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You can pour motor oil over your gears if you want to, but I'm going with proven and applied science. That leaves me with 2 favored choices: Amsoil or Mobil1 over other synthetics and any synthetic over dino any day any way. There IS no argument there, never was.

Furthermore, I called Mobil's tech dept. with pertinent questions. Read here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tic-oil-6.html

Old 08-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
You can pour motor oil over your gears if you want to, but I'm going with proven and applied science. That leaves me with 2 favored choices: Amsoil or Mobil1 over other synthetics and any synthetic over dino any day any way. There IS no argument there, never was.

Furthermore, I called Mobil's tech dept. with pertinent questions. Read here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tic-oil-6.html
I agree with you on the engine oil, but for the Transmission, I use Redline Shockproof heavy. IMO, there is no better gear oil for these six speed trannys.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:08 PM
JoeN
Tourer

I love my bike and want to keep it as new as possible and running great for a good long time. Can anyone tell me why people use mobile 1 or amsoil syn for their bikes? I use HD syn. isn't that any good?
Thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeN
I love my bike and want to keep it as new as possible and running great for a good long time. Can anyone tell me why people use mobile 1 or amsoil syn for their bikes? I use HD syn. isn't that any good?
Thanks
The HD Syn3 is good oil. lots of people use it. I don't because I remember when HD talked against using Synthetic oil and then jumped on the bandwagon and started pushing it. Theres also some confusion about who makes it and if it's really full synthetic. I don't know! I would suggest Amsoil or Mobil 1, they are the tops in most test that's out there. Nobody is stepping up with data to prove them wrong!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 05:21 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 18BKLR
I love the Brad Penn. If you used the High performance Oil and you are going to write about how bad it is then maybe you should use the right stuff. You used the auto oil, not the motorcycle blend. The motorcycle is full dino based oil. Has no synthetic added. I love the stuff. Used a few different synthetics and with the V2 Brad Penn there is no added heat that I have noticed and that is in ND 100 degree summer. Motor and primary every 4000 miles. Very few days do you see that in the "Burgh", I know this because I grew up there. If you want to knock it, please use the right stuff. The stuff you used is very popular with the racers for high revving water cooled motors. The V2 is a total different blend.

Just Saying

Specifically designed with twin V domestic and imported motorcycle engine technology/lubrication needs in mind. This SAE 20W-50 motorcycle oil is formulated with Pennsylvania Grade base oils and superior additive chemistry making it a great choice to use in applications calling for one lubricant for the engine, transmission/wet clutch and primary chain systems (if applicable). Meets JASO MA frictional performance requirements. A good multi-viscosity choice for use in V twin engines such as those found in Harley-Davidson® motorcycles where a 20W-50 API SJ, CF, CG-4 or CH-4 quality oil is specified. Also suitable for use in S&S®, RevTech®, Triumph®, Ducati®, BMW®, Victory®, and other domestic and imported motorcycles where an SAE 20W-50 viscosity, API SJ, SH, SG, CH-4, CG-4, or CF oil is specified. Always consult your owner’s manual for proper oil viscosity and quality selection.
Hmmm ............. where did I knock Brad Penn oil? I wrote something to the tune of " it's a very good oil, unfortunately as soon as I used it, I noticed an increase in engine heat.". If you call that knocking it, I have a totally different opinion of what knocking is.
This being said, I did call Brad Penn in Bedford PA before buying the oil. The reason being that nobody but 1 distributor here in Pittsburgh carries the motorcycle blend and it's far from where I live. Brad Penn told me that as long as I have a bike with the engine separate from the primary, I can use their high performance semi-synthetic 20W-50 oil (previously called Racing) without a problem.
Oh and I also called the only guy who carries their motorcycle blend and guess what? He recommended that I stick to Amsoil. He carries both oils and told me Amsoil is much better. You can call him if you want, he's listed in Brad Penn's dealers directory in Imperial PA. So much for the endorsement! lol

Anyway, read the threads about (excessive) heat and you'll see that one of the most frequent suggestions for reducing it is to switch to synthetic oil. There must be some truth to it, no?
I've been using synthetic oil for years and Amsoil for 12 years now. It's been working great for me and I'll go back to it as soon as I have 1/2 hr to spare to put the bike on the stand and drain the engine.

Not my fault if my engine ran hotter with Brad Penn. I tried it and it didn't work as good as I expected. Better than criticizing it without having tried, no?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 PM
wayne72472
Cruiser

got my oil kit in today. going to send it back tomorrow, i crossed the t's and dotted the i's on all the paperwork. hope they can tell me " how the pressure valve went out or why the oil filter stopped working" ! man did that oil look funky, had a brown/green tint to it, and still look thin. the motor is still quite now with the moble m/c oil in it. i may stay with it for a while, i am going to watch the wife's bike that has amsoil in it see what happens with it

Last edited by wayne72472; 08-10-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 PM
david christopher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scarz
What weight oil were you using? I had my oil changed yesterday and had been looking all over for Amsoil but found no one in Pensacola carries it on their shelves but a few were willing to order it if I was willing to buy a case. So I opted for Mobile 1 V-Twin 20-50 and 75-90 for the gear box. I'm heading out Sunday for the hills of western NC and the temps are predicted to be in the low to mid 90s. This will be my first experience not using HD Syn 3. Just hoping I don't have the same experience as you.

Scarz, you can get amsoil from the toro place on gulf beach highway, across the street from trim a lawn

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience