Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
you're funny- whatever makes you happy!

If the amount of friction went up so dramatically from changing to the non magical oil that there was a noticeable increase in friction generated heat, the engine would wear out in a week. Use a little common sense and stop reading the ads.

Someone p*ssed on your grits this morning or sumthin'?
Welcome to my Ignore List.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spur56
And your point would be? Yes the heat comes from combustion and from friction. Now the “heat in the oil,” i.e. oil temperature is the equilibrium between the heat coming from the above sources and the ability to transfer this heat out to the environment. The equations involved are Q=UA∆T and Q=mcp∆T, the former giving the heat transfer rate across a solid component and the latter the heat transfer for convection or flowing fluid. Combustion heat is a constant or close to it for a given horsepower so the variables are the friction and the latter equation, with m or flow rate being the other variable. Typically the friction does not change a great deal, but can be reduced by oil with the major change being the flow rate or the ability of the oil to flow. Some oils are better at this than others and will cause a change in operating temperature. So, changing the oil will have an effect on the equilibrium temperature based on its ability to flow and its ability to slightly reduce friction. Amsoil flows very well and this is probably the main variable in the reduction in temp, as do many of the other synthetic oils. This ability to flow typically causes an increase in engine noise as noticed by some on the forum. This increase in noise or perceived increase in noise has nothing to do with the protection of components from wear. The other variable is the specific heat capacity (cp); this can also change depending on the base stock of the oil and the additive package. cp is the ability of the fluid to “absorb heat.”

This is not an endorsement of Amsoil, but a good synthetic is better for the engine and tranny. There are many good oils out there and all have some differences in their performance.
Here's the problem with your statement, you acknowledge that there is very little if any difference in friction. You state that its an element of flow rate and one oils ability to transfer heat better than others. The heat being generated hasn't changed, combustion is the same and friction is the same- In order to dissipate the heat it would have to transfer it to the cooling fins of the motor. Would this make the external temp of the engine cooler? I don't think so. There is lots of "information" out there generated by people trying to sell you a $10 quart of oil but very little fact to back it up.

Use whatever makes you smile, but you will get the same mileage out of your motor whether you use $10 magic oil or auto store off brand dino.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Himark
Banned Metric Troll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Litigate??

Amsoil is the ONLY oil that offers a stand behind warranty. Ask Redline and HD oil what there postion is on that? I would of pulled a sample ESPECIALLY if the mechanic was telling you it was the oil.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:00 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Synthetic oil whatever the brand should not be all burned up after 1500 miles. In fact it should never burn, just get dirty from carbon.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the problem with your statement, you acknowledge that there is very little if any difference in friction. You state that its an element of flow rate and one oils ability to transfer heat better than others. The heat being generated hasn't changed, combustion is the same and friction is the same- In order to dissipate the heat it would have to transfer it to the cooling fins of the motor. Would this make the external temp of the engine cooler? I don't think so. There is lots of "information" out there generated by people trying to sell you a $10 quart of oil but very little fact to back it up.

Use whatever makes you smile, but you will get the same mileage out of your motor whether you use $10 magic oil or auto store off brand dino.

Just to let you know and not to argue, I teach thermodynamics at the university level and I am not trying to impress anyone with my background. Just trying to put out facts and not myths. Yes the heat is transferred through the cooling fins and not only the fins but all the solid parts of the engine, primary and transmission, as stated in the equation Q-UAdeltaT. The U is the property of the metal or other solid and its ability to transfer heat and the A is the area of the material to transfer the heat. But, unless you change the jugs or something, this remains constant. It is actually why the jugs have fins to increase the heat transfer surface area. Also very slight changes in friction can cause significant heat reduction. Since HD engines are oil/air cooled, the oil can have an effect on engine temperatures. The reason an oil cooler works is the increase in surface area along with a slight increase in the amount of oil in the system. I can also tell you that a synthetic is always going to be better for an engine. Dino can be fine but it needs to be monitored for breakdown and will usually not go as many miles as synthetic. The other quality of synthetic is its ability to withstand more heat with less evaporation and less breakdown. Dino is fine, if changed at the correct interval, synthetic is better and will handle the heat better. Use a good oil and change at the correct interval and you will be fine, but different fluids/oil will change the oil/engine temperature. Same principle as products like water wetter for water cooled engines and other additives that change the properties of the water in the system. I don't care whether people use Dino or Synthetic, they both will work, but I will always use synthetic in the engine and tranny. And different oils will cause changes in engine temp, probably not 40 degrees, but 5 - 10 degrees would be within the realm of reasonable changes. So as you said, use whatever makes you smile.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Himark
Banned Metric Troll

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Synthetic oil whatever the brand should not be all burned up after 1500 miles. In fact it should never burn, just get dirty from carbon.
EXACTLY!

Just think how crappy a petro oil would of held up! Synthetic oil no matter what brand is better than that garbage. If the mechanic is that old school might consider finding a fresh mechanic.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Himark
Banned Metric Troll

Fact:

A jet engine generates massive heat in the bearings, if a petroleum oil was used the motor would seize in minutes. Hence, they ONLY use a synthetic oil and was the true birth of synthetics. Amsoil was the first to use this technology in autos and caught all kinds of grief for it. Now all the companies are jumping on the band wagon to say "NEW synthetics"

Old 08-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The last line in your statement here is total BS oil man! I don't care what you run in your engine, But you should respect others on this forum, specially new members and not post this ignorant chit about oil. It has without a doubt been proven in many test, Synthetic Motor oils reduce friction, thus reducing heat, wear and holds it's viscosity longer.(no I'm not looking up the data for you) Open your closed mind or give people a break and don't post utter BS about engine oil. If a HD owner is going to run Dino oil, change it every 3K miles. They will still get more engine wear than with synthetic. I read where guy's don't like the engine noise with Synthetic, so they switch to HD 360 or some other heavy Dino oil. That only puts more load on the starter during startup and the engine while running. The results will be shorter engine life. If we were talking water cooled engines, I would be more inclined to partly agree with some of your advise, But we are talking an air cooled engine that runs really hot in part due to EPA standards.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It has always been an argument when it comes to dino oil compared to synthetics.A lot of people just have a hard time spending a few extra bucks,or they are too old school,or they heard from the grapevine that synthetics aren't any better,or they do not believe what they read and probably never read about it anyway.No matter their lose our gain.I started using synthetics back in the 70's and have ever since.Know it's benefits,seen them,never try to push them on anyone.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Someone p*ssed on your grits this morning or sumthin'?
Welcome to my Ignore List.
You are a smart man Frenchbiker. It's best to ignore this guy!

I'm not ringing my own bell, but I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer. The company I worked for got together a team to improve the reliability of our machinery because we were having huge amounts of downtime due to failures from wear. I was asked to be on that team. We conducted numerous tests with different lubricants. We sent all our samples out to independent labs for results of our test. We cut our downtime and repair cost dramatically by switching to Synthetic oils and grease. I'm not saying Amsoil is the best, But if it's not, why don't some of it's competitors prove them wrong. As for Dino oil, If you want sludge buildup and frequent oil changes, plus shorter engine life, use it!! I'll stay with the syntheics. JMO

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience