Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Did he even consider the tighter tolerances of the TC's or any of the new Harleys that are running Amsoil by the thousands? There are mechanics and then there are mechanics.
HiJack: I dropped the unknown syn from my tranny today and put Amsoil gear oil in - WOW!!! Shifting is smooth and quiet as snot on silk!

Last edited by Quadancer; 08-04-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lzybt
Redline seems to have the oil fad going right now. I know they have great gear oil. I was told by a mechanic that any synthetic oil in a modern Harley causes piston slap; something to do with it not sticking as well as dino oil to metal parts, and not filling the larger tolerances in a Harley motor.
Good one. Did he also mention that synthetics cause bearing skate because it's too slick?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Amsoil makes it clear that you have to use it's filters to ensure it's touted benefits. Dave used a K&N. Therefore, if there is a problem, you can't come to the conclusion that it was the oil. I'm not saying it wasn't or that Amsoil is better than this or that, but if you don't use it's filters then if something goes wrong you can't say it was the oil. The oil filter is a very important and frequently overlooked part of the oil system.
from what I've read here and there.
great thread though.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beammeup
Amsoil makes it clear that you have to use it's filters to ensure it's touted benefits. Dave used a K&N. Therefore, if there is a problem, you can't come to the conclusion that it was the oil. I'm not saying it wasn't or that Amsoil is better than this or that, but if you don't use it's filters then if something goes wrong you can't say it was the oil. The oil filter is a very important and frequently overlooked part of the oil system.
from what I've read here and there.
great thread though.
As far as I can tell Amsoils requirement to use Amsoil branded filters is only if you wish to extend your change intervals beyond manufacturer recommendations and want them to stand behind it.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Well lets see if I have that little noise this morning when I stat it up. I changed the oil and filter yesterday...The oil looked pretty brown (good thing). Its doing its job.

I had 2300 miles to go before the next change out but WTF oil/filters are cheap.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM
wayne72472
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the phone call

spoke with mike from amsoil he said the motor might need a new by pass valve or the filter had went bad. i also told him about this thread, he told me that " we dont thread or look at them" i told him that there were others here that had about the same thing happen to them. also that the oil is check 3 times before it get out of the factory. i was also told if i would email my address to them they would check my oil and see what happen to my motor. i told him that i had the filter which he wants also because they are failing also i was going to give him my address on the phone but he wanted me to email it to him. so i sent my address and now waiting for the oil kit to send back
one thing that made me wonder i ask if the oil could have lost it viscocity and cause itto thin out. he said no i then asked why it would have stopped with the new oil and he said the new oil viscocity was thicker or the filter went bad or something to that effect i was dumb founded and wasnt sure he said that and still not sure i heard him right, now i know that i might need a new by pass valve and got a bad filter from hd.
side note spoke with a friend who is a hd mech and asked how many of those went bad and he said he hadnt seen one yet but he only been working there for a couple of years

Last edited by wayne72472; 08-05-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Just lika any business they will not admit guilt even if they are............

Old 08-09-2010, 09:59 PM
mykee
6th Gear

Just got back from a 3500 mile trip to Texas and Kansas -- I'm telling you, I was really worried about the lifter noise I was hearing from the front cylinder on my 08 Ultra -- especially when I started up after an hour or so cooling, First start up in the morning was terrible until it heated up. WAS using Amsoil 20/50 -- Changed to Mobil 1 V-Twin today, and yes there is a difference... no clatter. For me the Amsoil wasn't getting it done, am really hopeful the Mobil 1 works out and the clatter is gone for good!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 PM
wrongway2
Advanced

First of all excellent thread.
I'm new to Harley Davidson and at my second oil change I put amsoil in all three holes with the amsoil oil filter as well.
I'm not an aggressive rider but do ride 80 on the highway but never rev the engine over 4,000 even when I feel agressive going throught the gears.
Anyway, I'm getting a bad lifter noise at the high end of the rev range just before shifting into the next gear. I originally thought it was the engine but after reading this thread I'm convinced it's the oil.
I'm 1200 miles away from being due for an oil change but it will be my 10,000 mile service so I'm going to take it to the dealer and have dino oil put in as I'm very curious at this point.
As it stands right now, I'm probably finished with amsoil but time will tell.

As a side note, a friend that I ride lots of mile with has a goldwing and without knowing my concern, is complaining of a lot of lifter noise until his engine warms up. He's also just started using Amsoil so we're both going dino just so we can compair.

regardless, great thread and great forum for this newbie to harley.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

The dino oil will be quieter. That does not mean it's better, it's a different animal, on a molecular scale. Clatter does not necessarily mean wear.
LOUD clatter I would worry about. At present, mine has about 12,000 on it and it's second Amsoil change. I have some clicking in the upper end; to be expected with syn - but for cost reasons, I was considering Mobil1 or the VT. Seems that the VT won't even be necessary in the oil tank.

Last edited by Quadancer; 08-10-2010 at 07:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience