Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
Just curious, anyone have any high mileage bikes (say 100K +) that have always been using syn oil? What kinda shape are the Engines in?
Yes sir! See my last post here.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:41 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't believe the issues are with the oil but with the filters...Of course, I used Amsoil filters on my V-Rod for several years and had no issues. This is the second Amsoil filter on the SG. The first one worked fine. Maybe a bad batch got out.....

I will be using HD filters from now on though....

Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run AMSOIL in my last 3 bikes. Never a problem. Hope I don't have any problems either...

Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 PM
gkollman
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi , new to forum so bear with me. i was just in arkansas temps were 95 to 100 for 9 days i was there . i have an 09 e.g. ultra, stage 1ac, se muffs and moco flash. i have ran syn 3 till 14000mi switched to amsoil since. engine always was somewhat noisy nature of the beast.at 19000mi started getting same noise on and off on cold startup, went away when bike was hot. had moco mech listen said it was normal ,said if there was something wrong it wouldnt come and go . when i was in ar. the noise at times was very loud , if i shut the bike off for an hour at times it would sound like the lifters were going to fly out the engine on start up, this would lessen or go away after a few miles, i ran the bike pretty hard in the mountains 3200rpm to 4500rpm steadily for 1900mi lot of curves and elevation changes, motor noise came and went to varing degrees. the 500mi trip home was much cooler and the noise was gone. rode 350mi since returning home on same oil change no noise other than normal used 1/2 qt on that 3000mi trip mostly through the breather (ever since stage 1 this has been normal?) still have same oil in all 3 holes with h-d filter. ps northen arkansas is a must do if you can

Old 08-02-2010, 01:17 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I believe the oil problems above are filter related. If the oil itself was bad the engines would show significant problems. If i read correctly all the above bikes had oil filters other than the HD brand. I am currently on my third Amsoil filter and have experienced to a small degree the valve clatter issues. I have over 4000 mi on the current oil change. The next oil filter to grace my bike will be an HD. The filters seem to be the common thread in these failures.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I wish I could recall how the Amsoil filters did in the filter cookoff - at any rate, things like backflow preventers and what they were made out of (some are just plastic discs), bypass pressures, and of course, filter media were looked at. In some threads I saw where someone cut new and then old filters apart to examine them. (Fram did about the worst of all)
Harley wasn't the best of the lot, but not the worst either. I went with Purolator because the backflow valve is silicone, bypass pressure is 12 lbs., a bit higher than others - but I had to bug their tech department for a week to find that out. Also had to order online to get their MC filters - there are none at the Otto Parts sto'. At least I know that all the oil goes thru it at idle, which is 9-10 lbs. hot.
And NO, I didn't save the URL's - you'll have to do your own research.
BTW, my Amsoil at 5000 miles is a dark brown - about what it should be. My second choice would be Mobil1VT - I did research the oils too.

Last edited by Quadancer; 08-02-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 53k on my 07 and have used amsiol 20/50 and filter since the break in, I ride hard most of the time and most of the miles are from long trips, I have gone as far as 8500mi on an oil change but typically change it around 6k, I recently had my mech. go over the bike checking cam chains, compression and such and the motor is in excellent shape, it does use around 1/2 qt between changes and I also have some motor noise when it's hot out and I'm running hard, but it's nothing out of the ordinary. I like Amsoil products, I feel they are better than most. my two bits..........

Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 PM
wayne72472
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found email for amsoil sent email and told them about the oil and asked if they wanted a sample and the filter waiting to hear back from them. also just for a side note i asked if there was anyway they could replace the oil i had to drain or the cost being there was only about 1200 miles on the oil the wait for a answer starts...

Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Like what kind of noise are you getting? Like something is vibrating or sewing machine type?
Just curious! When it warmed up do you sill get etc.

Went back and read all the threads and tried to delete my question but couldn't......

I get a vibrating noise on start up sometimes and when it warms up it goes away...can't find anything wrong but I'l try an HD filter with the next oil change.

Last edited by Jerry1834; 08-03-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Syn 3 works for me.

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience