Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 06:30 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
The motor was put back together and HD syn was put in. I completed my trip, across the desert twice and riding in temps over 110 degrees, with no more problems. Was it bad oil? You make the call, I am only giving the facts as it happened. I have since replaced all three holes with Redline and will now see how this oil runs. Sorry for the long story.
Dave, I am curious, with such good results with Syn3 why the change?

Old 08-01-2010, 06:34 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put in whatever brand of oil makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Everybody likes to feel like they're doing something special or high tech for their bike. In the end, test after test have proven that any oil will run your engine just fine for more miles than you'll probably ever ride. Dino or synthetic!

Old 08-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
Put in whatever brand of oil makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Everybody likes to feel like they're doing something special or high tech for their bike. In the end, test after test have proven that any oil will run your engine just fine for more miles than you'll probably ever ride. Dino or synthetic!
Got any of those test that proves Dino oil is as good as Synthetic in holding viscosity under high temp conditions you can post here Oil Man?

Old 08-01-2010, 07:27 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

I've got the blackstone results that show no excessive wear after 20k miles on my current bike that has never had anything except dino. In fact you will not find anything no matter now hard you look that will show that ANY oil has caused excessive wear on an engine. Drink whatever kool aid you want, it's your bike enjoy it. I keep my lowers on at 90 degrees, I don't use an oil cooler, I just ride my bike and change the fluids when they need it. do whatever makes you happy.

*Re read my post again, as many times as you like and tell me which part you disagree with!!!! Please!!!!

Old 08-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got the blackstone results that show no excessive wear after 20k miles on my current bike that has never had anything except dino. In fact you will not find anything no matter now hard you look that will show that ANY oil has caused excessive wear on an engine. Drink whatever kool aid you want, it's your bike enjoy it. I keep my lowers on at 90 degrees, I don't use an oil cooler, I just ride my bike and change the fluids when they need it. do whatever makes you happy.

*Re read my post again, as many times as you like and tell me which part you disagree with!!!! Please!!!!
Blackstone is a Reputable co. Their test shows only the deposits in oil from an engine. It doesn't show the wear scars. I'll bet if you tore your engine down and compared it with an engine with the same miles that had been using a good synthetic, you would see the difference. We had an Amsoil Dealer back in Virginia who had a Cam shaft from a Chevy truck with 140K miles on it and not enough wear to measure.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:50 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

So you're saying that I might have wear scars that aren't leaving abnormally high metal deposits in my oil? That's an interesting theory, I guess. I will sell my bike before I get 100k on it and I'll enjoy every mile. Put whatever oil makes you happy in your bike and ride it. Any oil will work fine, I doubt that you will ruin your engine from using Amsoil or Mobile or whatever you're using.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Max96
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 what he said

Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM
wayne72472
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes i did save the filter the oil looked very dark and very thin, not like it came out of the bottle. i looked at their web sight but didnt see a email address i have used their oil for about 3 years and never had this happen before, might be the filter, bad gas, i dont know but the wife could tell the noise had quite down and she didnt know i changed the oil due to her being gone from the house also how much oil should i save i have about 5oz in a clean med bottle

Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by big ears
I ran a refinery unit that produced motor oil. There are no bad batches in refining. If the oil is off test for cold test, flash, or contaminents it is rerun through the process. That is the dyno stuff. The synthetic is another question. I don't know the answer to that one. Also several major oil companies used our refined product and put in their own additives. Some of your major names are only oil sales companies. They don't refine their own oil. There is no oil that is so pure that it don't have to be refined. There are different grades of crude and Pennsylvania crude was some of the best. There ain't much if any of that left. The oil we run in our equipment is only a part of crude which has many properties.
Just what I have been saying, no such thing as "cheap quality oil". It comes from the major refiners, just gets a different label on the jug. The competitors even buy from each other when supplies are low. When I worked for GoodYear, we had a warehouse full of Firestone tubes. Go figure.

Originally Posted by OnTheFence
I agree. The engine got taken apart, inspected, reassembled and new oil put in. Maybe it was incorrectly assembled in the first place?
If it was, there would be damage. No damage, no assembly problems.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:44 PM
lonerider2
Cruiser

I ride a 2009 Ultra classic, I had new lifters put in under warrenty because of too much noise I was using Amsoil 20/50, even with new lifters noise was back after 200 miles, switched to Mobile 1 20/50 V-twin been quiet the last 10000 miles with mobile 1

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience