Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE compensator

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:44 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SE compensator

Went to install one last night on a 2010 and found that you can't get the stock rotor to come off by the inner primary. They don't make that really clear in the instructions and state you need an outer primary gasket only. In reality you could need a seal and inner crankcase gasket along with five orings for the inner bolts which is all i am replacing. As i am going along i am measuring and making my own seal and bearing driver/remover tools along with some of the locking tools they use to hold the rear belt drive pulley and clutch. This is one of my hobbies i have done for years as i purchased a south Bend lathe and Bridgeport when i finished school. I did a search on here and see that some ground away part of the inner primary to get the rotor off. That never crossed my mind and i am always modifying or fabricating parts for myself or friends.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:41 AM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default grinding

I have witnessed a friend grind enough clearance in the primary to get the rotor off. Not really a big deal and in my opinion, doesnt weaken the inner at all. Much better than disturbing the gaskets and seals.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

+1 14.99 grinder+3.99 metal grinding(harber frieght) wheel+3.49 carb cleaner+2.99 some gen oil.

hard to cover up everything from the grinds flying around so used carb cleaner after and ran bike a mile with gen 10-40.

oil had lots of grinds in it,will change primary oil again soon..ez job would probley do it the grinding way again if i had to..

re-used primary gasket,changed clutch spring37871-98a,chrome bolts94052-07 while u are there!

Old 07-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, minimal grinding in the 6 to 9 o'clock position of the inner. Pack the area around the rotor with rags, that have wheel bearing/axle grease on them. The grease catches and holds any flying chips. Pull out the rags, clean it again and you ae good to go. You can re-use the outer primary gasket a couple of times if you don't fug it up when removing.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Feedsack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Rasp

I did the grinding with a wood rasp. and a vacuum. No chips no dust

Old 07-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Mikind7
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I got lucky I guess, mine came right off no grinding. Very worthwhile upgrade.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:55 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikind7
I got lucky I guess, mine came right off no grinding. Very worthwhile upgrade.
I'm looking for comments on the SE compensator in another thread. Can you describe the benefits you felt or heard?

Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good upgrade all around

Put some miles on it today. No more sloppy jerky slow speed noises like the primary chain is loose or the gears are falling apart and when you start it no more of that load crack bang. What the hell was Hd thinking putting that stock piece of junk in there? i would rather have a solid sprocket than the stock compensator. Just an all around very good upgrade and one of the better i think. The stock probably wouldn't have broken but always sounded like it was. Everything is much tighter feeling and sounding plus does not sound like something is going to blow out the side of the motor when i start it anymore. Very happy

Old 08-01-2010, 07:02 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tagged

Old 08-01-2010, 07:29 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
Put some miles on it today. No more sloppy jerky slow speed noises like the primary chain is loose or the gears are falling apart and when you start it no more of that load crack bang. What the hell was Hd thinking putting that stock piece of junk in there? i would rather have a solid sprocket than the stock compensator. Just an all around very good upgrade and one of the better i think. The stock probably wouldn't have broken but always sounded like it was. Everything is much tighter feeling and sounding plus does not sound like something is going to blow out the side of the motor when i start it anymore. Very happy
Just what most of us have experienced by changing to an SE comp.

Quick Reply: SE compensator