Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help changing fork oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:28 PM
eoluke
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help changing fork oil

i have a 99 ultra and have been following my service manual on changing the fork oil. I drained old oil and now can only get about 3-4 oz of new oil back in. Is there a trick to this or am i missing something easy.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM
karate joe
Advanced

with the drain screw out did you compress the forks down to expell the last bit of fluid out? Each fork will hold about 10.5 oz. check your service manual to be sure. You do have a sevice manual for your bike , right?

Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your left side fork is the cartridge type, and you pretty much have to take them apart to replace the fork oil. The right side is the standard type and should be easy to change out the fork oil. I changed out my left side fork so it's the same as the right side. It will make it easier to swap fluids.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if it was a year by year change but the forks on my 01 EGC are the same on both sides. Just rebuilt them about a month ago. Each one holds 9.7 ounces.

Unless you took them apart completely which involves removing the bolt from the bottom as it was mentioned you will have to compress em to get all the fluid out.

Silly question but you do have the front end off the ground right? Just asking.

tombeving It will make it easier to swap fluids. UMMM we are talking about fork oil here right?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:42 AM
eoluke
3rd Gear

ok, i must be doing something wrong. the owners manual says they are non cartridge forks so i drained the oil, compressed them several times and tried to refill them. i gan get about 1-2oz of oil in them and then they over flow. ??? what am i missing?

Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by eoluke
so i drained the oil
How much oil drained out?
If there like mine,I had to pour the oil in very slowly!

Old 08-07-2010, 09:09 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

i have a 99 ultra and have been following my service manual on changing the fork oil. I drained old oil and now can only get about 3-4 oz of new oil back in. Is there a trick to this or am i missing something easy.

Thanks in advance
ok, i must be doing something wrong. the owners manual says they are non cartridge forks so i drained the oil, compressed them several times and tried to refill them. i gan get about 1-2oz of oil in them and then they over flow. ??? what am i missing?
has the forks ever been taken apart and put back together with after market springs? If so there may be a large Flat washer up top of the spring which will have a small dia. hole...This hole may be whats giving you havic...The washer could have shifted and isn't centered and is offset so the fluid won't be able to travel rapidly...

Unfortunantly it sounds like your only alternative is to possible remove the forks and take them apart...
One more thing would be after you put in those few fluids will it drain after a long period of time?
If so set up some type of a hanging apperatis to hold the fluid with a hose running down to the fork and allow it to drain in there by gravity over night...
paul

Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The left fork on a 1999 is not a cartridge....Anyway, since you have air, the fastest way to refill the forks is buy sucking the oil using a couple of pieces of hose and a vacuum cleaner, but I guess it's too late for that...LOL.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:05 PM
eoluke
3rd Gear

Paul, you have solved my problem. ty ty ty. Here's what i did, went to the hardware store a bought a 3/4 garden hose adapter with a 3/8 vinyl tube barb. Bought 3 feet of clear 3/8 vinyl tubing. got a fitting to match the top of the fork with a 3/8 barb attached. hooked it all up to a pint bottle with approx 9.7oz fork oil and suspended it from the ceiling. poked a hole in the bottom of the pint and VOILA...instant slow drip IV for a Harley. it does go slow but works like a charm. Thx for all the help guys.