Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
HDPIG403
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Cat?

I have searched the previous threads and still can't come up with the answer I am looking for... If I remove the cat on my 2010 FLHX with Rush slip on is that the same thing and buying a aftermarket 2-1 header? I am trying to determine what the difference would be if any??? Also would doing this require a power commander? Thanks.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 AM
michaelm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost the same, but not exactly. Aftermarket headers often have different profiles than stock. You can send your stock header to fullsac (www.fullsac.com) for the cat removal. They do a great job. Then some kind of retune with a Power Commander, SERT, etc. would adjust your AFR to get the benefit from your mods. You will find that with the cat removed and good dyno tune, you will make more power and run cooler. Don't forget to add a SE air filter too.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Or you can take your head pipe off, Cut it, Gut it and weld it back. It's oval and if you take a marker and draw a line then line it back up after you gut it. The weld will be straight. I plan on doing mine in the next few weeks, when I get time.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,894 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by HDPIG403
If I remove the cat on my 2010 FLHX with Rush slip on is that the same thing and buying a aftermarket 2-1 header?
I think that maybe you're a little confused, or maybe it's me trying to understand exactly what you wrote.

On your 2010 FLHX, the cat is located in the headpipe...simply changing the "muffler" portion of your exhaust with a Rush slip on isn't going to change anything but the sound of your exhaust. There is no performance enhancement, and your engine will still run hot and lean because of the cat, the stock Harley air cleaner, and the factory fuel management settings.

If you purchase an aftermarket exhaust system (2 into 1), such as a Vance and Hines Pro Pipe High Output, or a Thunderheader, etc...you're replacing the entire exhaust system, not just the "muffler" or slip on. The cat is gone. When you do this in conjunction with replacing your air cleaner with a high performance model (Arlen Ness, SE, etc), and a fuel management system (Power Commander, V&H Fuelpak), you're allowing the engine to breath and run cooler because of the enhanced Air intake/exhaust flow, Air/Fuel mixture (read: richer), and the absence of the Cat/EPA crap in the headpipe.

Of course, you could do as others have suggested here...cut and gut the headpipe to remove the cat, and then put on some Rush slip ons. If you're going to all that trouble, you really need to get the high performance air cleaner, and a fuel management system. I guess it all really depends on your budget. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Bronson,,, Man, that was a good TV series! I guess I am telling my age since I know that huh?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What the hell did the poor cat do squirt on your tires?