Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking air in rear tire... Any Tricks??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010 | 09:53 AM
PWFD
|
Road Master
Default Checking air in rear tire... Any Tricks??

Okay, I know this sounds like a first time owner question. Which after owning bikes for MANY years I can't remember having this issues as much as I am now. I picked up a 09 Ultra about a month ago and checking the rear tire pressure seems to be SUCH a pain in the A$$. I've owned other non HD tour bikes that have and L shaped valve which makes it much easier than what is STOCK on this things. My Ultra has spoke wheels which may be why I'm having more problems than that of my last HD Tour Bikes?. I've never owned a tour bike with spokes before so maybe it's just getting used to the small area and getting the gauge on without loosing half my air in the process?..?..

I've never been very good at checking tire pressures and it's one thing I've tried to focus on to get better at. Those tires are a pretty important part of the cycle. :-)

Thanks for any tips or just making fun of me for this post.

T

Old 07-29-2010 | 10:14 AM
cezariomaia
Cruiser

1) look were is the valve and put bike forward or rearward until it is visible.
2) lay down on ground and do it...
Or take of the right saddle bag...

Old 07-29-2010 | 10:18 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member

Definitely a PITA. A valve extender might be the best fix. If you ever have to replace your tube on the back tire, have them install the one with the 90 degree valve stem, like on the front. Also, do a search. There's been answers to this question posted before.

Old 07-29-2010 | 10:23 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Yes, this is a real PIA. I have the stock wheels on my 09 RK, but am able to do it with a regular "stick" air guage. I'm assuming with your spoke wheels this does not work?

H-D sells an air guage with a hose and 90-degree valve for $30, this may be your best option - or find a guage with 90 degree valve someplace. Adding air is even more difficult because I can't find an air chuck with a 90 degree tip so far. I'm barely able with some effort to get it filled with a regular chuck that has the usual angle to it, but this requires some effort (pushing/flexing the rubber stem outward a bit with a finger from the other side while engaging the air chuck on it).

I plan to go with the 90 degree air valves on the wheels NEXT tire change, but that's gonna be several months yet at least as they have a good amount of tread left on them. This will allow much easier access with even a straight air chuck.

Old 07-29-2010 | 10:33 AM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Well, I'm glad it's just not me being simple minded. My guage that I am using I really like a lot and has always served me well until now. Your right, Arizona filling is just as hard at this point. My airtools I have both have gauges on them which is great BUT not in this case. I may have to switch to a simple filler without a gauge and check pressure with a separate gauge to make sure the pressure is correct. With only 3,000 miles on the bike it will be a while before I need a new rubber on the rear but when I do I will defiantly have the 90 install.

Old 07-29-2010 | 11:11 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Old 07-29-2010 | 11:12 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cezariomaia
1) look were is the valve and put bike forward or rearward until it is visible.
2) lay down on ground and do it...
Or take of the right saddle bag...

This, easier to just lay on the ground than to take the bag off.

Old 07-29-2010 | 11:18 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Default Checking pressure

There are some ways to make it easier. On this picture, starting from the top, a clamp-on air chuck at the end of the rubber hose, with no metal extensions. This makes a lot easier to check pressure front or rear. Just be aware that manual gages can be off, like mine, (brand new) which is a very popular brand in many shops, and probably dealers too, lol. Mine is off 4 PSI, but I recheck with the digital gage. The clamp-on chuck is sold separate from the inflator gage at AutoZone, Tractor Supply, Car Quest, and many others.

In the middle, a piece of hose from a manual air pump with a plastic stem lock, and a tubeless valve stem on the other end (not my idea, I got this from a member) this tool, and a small air compressor can be a life saver and is perfect to take along on the road. I paid a few bucks for this air pump many years ago at Wal-Mart, not knowing it was going to be so useful, lol.

On the bottom, a cheap digital gage from Radio Shack, but its sold by many stores under different brands. Its shape and size makes it very easy to stick in between the disk and the hub to check pressure, just as easy front or rear. Very accurate too. Check out pic #2. Its on the front wheel, but I can use it in the rear wheel, with the scotter on the sidestand, without removing the sidebag. But nothing beats the little extension in the middle for versatility, whether checking air pressure or inflating the tire.

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 07-29-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2010 | 11:48 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Yep, throw down a soft cloth or old blanket, lay down on your right side looking at the rear tire, hope to gawd you see the valve stem someplace where you can get to it, if not get up off ground roll bike approx. 2-3 ft, repeat steps 1 through 3 until you see and reach the valve stem. Remove cap and check air pressure. If the tire needs air connect compressor/pump and put air in tire. Check pressure, bleed down or continue to fill until you reach the desired pressure. Replace cap, get off the ground, fold up cloth/blanket and store it until next time. ;-) Seriously, it really helps to slightly overfill the tire if it needs air and use a good guage with a "bleed-air" feature so you can reduce the pressure to the desired value. Almost all air guages used for cars and bikes are notoriously inaccurate. If it isn't checked against a certified source it's probably off. The important thing is to always use the same guage and protectt it from bumps and other shocks. It might not be 100% accurate, but it'll be consistent. It also helps to have a compressor with the the filler valve that locks on the tire stem as TooEasy was showing. Always check them cold too. In order to get it on the stem you may have to flex it toward you in order to clear the running gear and brakes. It's a real PITA to check/fill the rear tire, but it's one of those "must do's" too.

Last edited by FLUltrarider; 07-29-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2010 | 11:51 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Get the HD tire pressure gauge its worth it.

Quick Reply: Checking air in rear tire... Any Tricks??