Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking air in rear tire... Any Tricks??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010 | 05:50 AM
dklanecky
Tourer

Originally Posted by gmc
e

Agreed with this air gauge, is to clip on and if you change the valve stem at your next tire change to one of the 85-90 degree ones, it's actually pretty simple to maintain / check air presssure.

Old 08-15-2010 | 08:42 PM
mike5380
Road Master

You know, this is where Honda has been stealing market share from Harley for years. Something as simple as checking air in your tires. With a Goldwing, you just push the damn thing over onto is side and, as long as its in Neutral, the back tire will free wheel just fine.

Now the Polaris products have to be flipped completely upside down like a "dying cockroach", again, make sure the tranny is in Neutral so the back tire will free wheel, and you probably should empty your fuel tank beforehand.

Good Luck.

Old 08-15-2010 | 08:45 PM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Originally Posted by mike5380
You know, this is where Honda has been stealing market share from Harley for years. Something as simple as checking air in your tires. With a Goldwing, you just push the damn thing over onto is side and, as long as its in Neutral, the back tire will free wheel just fine.

Now the Polaris products have to be flipped completely upside down like a "dying cockroach", again, make sure the tranny is in Neutral so the back tire will free wheel, and you probably should empty your fuel tank beforehand.

Good Luck.

Old 08-15-2010 | 11:16 PM
CROCKETT
Cruiser

HELL just go to air less tires, NO MORE MORE CHECKING AIR PRESSURE, NO MORE FLAT TIRES TO WORRY ABOUT, ALSO NO MORE CUPPING TO IMPROPER INFLATION, AND THERE ON SALE RIGHT NOW!!!

JUST LOOK UP BIG AL'S TIRE & WHEEL

Old 08-15-2010 | 11:32 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

One thing I have done to make this easier, is go to Lowes or Home Depot, and get some square clear rubber stick on pads , and put them on the bottom of your bags, this way you can take them off anywhere, and not scratch up the bottoms of them.
I take the bag off to check air,.....

Old 08-16-2010 | 12:12 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

Check it before you ride it, then don't hit the rotor if you have to go to town and get air Don't ask me how I know.

Old 08-16-2010 | 01:33 PM
monstead
Club Member
From: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....

For those of us with spoke wheels ('09 RKC), we pretty much gotta have a 90 degree. It's just too difficult, if not impossible, to get a seal with those spokes in the way with a lot of the guages out there. The front tire isn't a breeze, but nothing like checking/filling the rear tire on my bike. I'm sure it doesn't help having spokes and a 180 rear tire with the valve smack dab in the middle of the rim. It's a HUGE PITA getting to the valve. The bags aren't the problem. Sure, they make it more difficult, but taking them off doesn't mean you're gonna be able to use any old guage/nozzle. Even 45 degrees can be deal killers. This includes the tire guage and tire inflator/compressor nozzles. The HD guage and a few others fit that bill.

I'd seen the one in this post before and really liked the idea of being able to attach my tire inflator to the guage. Was "pumped" I'd found something really great until I discovered it wasn't available with a 90 degree head.

I was in Milwaukee at the H-D Women's Event and had ridden about 1200 miles since last checking the tire pressure. Thought it would be a good idea to let them check it, after all, they had a tire pressure check station set up with H-D corporate employees (all females). Bad idea! Unfortunately, not only did they tell me I needed 36 PSI in my rear tire (my manual says 40psi), they let out so much air just trying to check the pressure in my rear tire, and even more trying to re-fill what they'd let out (didn't have the right head for the compressor) I had to ride to a Dealer to get air added. The Event tire station didn't have a 90* compressor nozzle, and the 45* never gave a good enough seal to be able to do anything more other than let air out of my tire. Jeez!

Best method I've found is to check/fill at home frequently, where I have the "right" tools. I take my H-D guage with the 90 degree head on the road when I tour - if I need air, I find a Dealer. Not willing to risk getting myself in a pickle trying to use the compressor at a gas station since they're almost always 45 degree nozzles.

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
This is the slickest thing I've bought in a while.
Clamp it on, read gauge while adding air.

You read the pressure while you put air in. No more add air then check, add more air then check, add more air then check, add more air then check.

http://www.amazon.com/G-H-Meiser-EZ-...8678798&sr=8-1

Old 04-17-2011 | 04:55 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain

Just another one of the joys of riding the best! or the beast.

Old 04-17-2011 | 05:51 PM
user 8373900
Banned

Originally Posted by bobx67
you could schedule to have it checked at the dealership. itll prob. only cost an hour or 2 of labor.
I have witnessed a guy come into the service dept. and ask them to check the air pressure in his tires....I was speechless.

Mark

Old 04-17-2011 | 06:29 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior

I have no problem. I have had several Goldwings prior to the H-D so the only way I have ever know to put air in the rear is to lay down and do it. My air chuck actually has a 2 1/2" pipe extention coming out the chuck then the male barb, female quick connect, then hose, this make for a long chuck. So I just lay down, put the chuck on the stem with the extension/hose coupling going towards the axle/wheel center until I get the correct angle. Put air in.
Oh and I much rather the straight stem because I can do it with one hand as I will be pushing straingt in towards the rim. On the Goldwing it has the 90 degree stem and many have been broken off because someone just pushed the stem to the side to put air in. I would have to support it with onehand so it does not bend and press the chuck and gauge with the other hand. Something to think about.

Last edited by K Melancon; 04-17-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Checking air in rear tire... Any Tricks??