Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking air in rear tire... Any Tricks??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010 | 11:59 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master

Yes, the wheel roller stand came yesterday & gonna try it in a minute. Thought I might need the other thing but I hope to use chocks on front & rear of the tire not on the rollers.

Old 07-30-2010 | 12:10 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Yes, the wheel roller stand came yesterday & gonna try it in a minute. Thought I might need the other thing but I hope to use chocks on front & rear of the tire not on the rollers.
I use some small hunks of furring and place one under the sidestand foot too. The rollers also make it easier to adjust rear tire pressure after I finish the blowdry but I've got different mags too (not the standard closely spaced ones) so I don't have as much to overcome as some of the guys do.

Old 07-30-2010 | 01:07 PM
NavyCharles24
Cruiser
From: Longwood, Florida, Seminole County, United States of America

Install a 90'Tee next time you do a Tire Change out.
Also, get a Yellow/Orange Marker and put a Line on the Tire Sidewall where your
Air Valve is. It is much easier to visually see where the Air Valve is when you see
the Yellow/Orange Line.

Old 07-30-2010 | 07:21 PM
DukeofEarl
Tourer

Originally Posted by gmc
I bought one of these and found out that the chuck end doesn't seal properly on the valve stem. Mine may be defective but I don't think so. The gauge was accurate when I was able to hold the chuck tightly on the stem. It seems like the chuck end is cheaply built.

Old 07-31-2010 | 12:52 AM
hogrider09
Tourer

Originally Posted by DukeofEarl
I bought one of these and found out that the chuck end doesn't seal properly on the valve stem. Mine may be defective but I don't think so. The gauge was accurate when I was able to hold the chuck tightly on the stem. It seems like the chuck end is cheaply built.

I agree. The clip chuck works well and then doesnt work well. A screw on type would be great. Just like the suspension pump for the rear. Ill keep practicing. My hands are so freaking big it makes any jod tougher.

Old 07-31-2010 | 06:46 AM
Travler
Cruiser

Originally Posted by yljkt
Just pop off the right saddlebag. Then u can see where the valve is, and push the bike forward or back to get to the stem easier.
+ 1, this is the easiest for me....

Old 07-31-2010 | 07:18 AM
PadreL
Club Member

Originally Posted by bobx67
you could schedule to have it checked at the dealership. itll prob. only cost an hour or 2 of labor.
I don't trust dealers with my car tires or my mc tires. Next morning after getting any type of service, I check the tires myself. Never fails, always too much air, sometimes way too much.

Old 08-13-2010 | 01:54 AM
Mr. Nellis
Intermediate

Dang... first of all, thank God it's not just me. I thought I was being a wuss.

Next, this is one of those things you're SUPPOSED to check EVERY TIME you ride, so IT SHOULD BE EASIER.

That EZ-Air thing looks great- it's not just checking the air, but allowing the attachment from the pump. But if it doesn't hold up well, as the last few posts suggest....

I guess I'll resort to hjust removing the right saddlebag. Oh, well.

Old 08-13-2010 | 02:20 AM
TexasVet
Tourer

The easiest gadget for me was an idea from this forum. I bought an automobile hand pump from the auto section at my local Wal-Mart; about $8. Bought a small hose clamp to fit the hand pump hose and then went to the tire department and bought a tubeless tire stem, longer the better; @ $1. Cut the hose off of the hand pump at the base, stripped the tire stem back to the metal, pushed it inside the hose from the hand pump, and now a perfect device to check and fill air on my front and back tires.

Old 08-13-2010 | 05:31 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought the HD air pressure gauge and I use it every time I wash the bike.Which is at least every couple of weeks.When I wash it I always use my little scissor lift and that makes it easy to find the valve.The HD gauge works well because it has a 90 deg fitting on the end.But I'm having trouble finding a true 90 deg fitting for my compressor.

Quick Reply: Checking air in rear tire... Any Tricks??