Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking air in rear tire... Any Tricks??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010 | 07:59 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Hey, someone it!

Thanks for the pics and info there TooEasy.

Old 07-29-2010 | 08:23 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PWFD
Just picked one of these up over the noon hour: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

With the 90' angle this should hopefully help?.
Not too big on HD gadgets but that does look like a nice, easy to use gauge. My 08 RKC has the standard chrome wheels and the stem sits at a 45 deg angle, very easy to access (still laying down). My wife's 07 RKC has the smooth "profile" laced wheels and they are a PIA. straight up and short stem. Hard but not impossible to get the angle so the rotor doesn't stop the gauge stem.

Old 07-29-2010 | 09:15 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

The easiest way I've found to check both front and rear is with the Harley shock air pump, which screws onto the valve stem without losing air.

If the tire needs air, add a bit too much, attach the shock air pump, and bleed it down to the right level which is indicated on the gauge, remove pump.

On the front tire, I run the hose from the pump through the slot in the brake disc, with valve stem at 5:00 position.

On the rear, remove the right saddlebag, with valve stem at the 7:00 position.

Old 07-29-2010 | 09:21 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Oh yes you have to check that religiously for sure. What I do is have the wife bend over and check it everytime and find myself multi tasking like you have never seen right there in the garage!

Old 07-30-2010 | 12:34 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

i searched for something that would be the easiest and most convenient to use. i ended up buying the harley one with the flex hose. it's about the easiest one i've used. a similar one can be found through jegs or summit racing for a lot less money. when they designed the wheels for the 09 touring bikes with the cast wheels that don't have enough room to check the air, what a screw up on harleys part. if i had those wheels i'm sure that me and the die grinder would have some kind of fun cutting a relief to where a real air hose can actually fit in there.

Old 07-30-2010 | 12:49 AM
leadman
Road Master

Quickest way to me is to take off the bag.

Old 07-30-2010 | 01:15 AM
hogrider09
Tourer

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
The easiest way I've found to check both front and rear is with the Harley shock air pump, which screws onto the valve stem without losing air.

If the tire needs air, add a bit too much, attach the shock air pump, and bleed it down to the right level which is indicated on the gauge, remove pump.

On the front tire, I run the hose from the pump through the slot in the brake disc, with valve stem at 5:00 position.

On the rear, remove the right saddlebag, with valve stem at the 7:00 position.

The rear shock pump. That would be the one for the air suspension in rear . It looks like a mini pump with a guage, right. The threaded end pulls away. Yes, the 28 spoke wheels area bitch. Thats why I went to laced wheels. I like to get a custom 6 or 10 spoke wheel.

Old 07-30-2010 | 04:30 AM
captharley
Cruiser

Go down to your local camping trailer dealer and get a valve extender. They make one out of rubber for about 12 bucks and another with braided stainless for about 22 bucks. They are about 4" long. Screw it on the valve stem - check and add air and screw it off. The way it's designed you will not lose any air when you remove it. I also use it to check and add pressure to the rear shocks. Got tired of standing on my head and never being really sure of the pressure.

Old 07-30-2010 | 05:53 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member

Does anyone besides me have/use something like either this:

($29.99 at Harbor Freight)

...or this: ($39.99 at Harbor Freight)

...to spin and wash the rear wheel/tire?

Old 07-30-2010 | 06:08 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Get the HD tire pressure gauge its worth it.

Got mine this month for birthday & usually check air while bike's on jack while cleaning (adds clearance).

Quick Reply: Checking air in rear tire... Any Tricks??