Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking air in rear tire... Any Tricks??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010 | 12:00 PM
harley_badboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by TooEasy
In the middle, a piece of hose from a manual air pump with a plastic stem lock, and a tubeless valve stem on the other end (not my idea, I got this from a member)
Regards,
This works great, post is below:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-to-tires.html

Last edited by harley_badboy; 07-29-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added the url
Old 07-29-2010 | 12:08 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior

I have the "H" series guage from the below website with the 90degree chuck, but I still jack the bike and use my creeper to lay on. When on the road, I lay down to get to it. Just make sure its not in an oil pit, or some dog sh*t.

http://www.getagauge.com

Old 07-29-2010 | 02:22 PM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Just picked one of these up over the noon hour: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

With the 90' angle this should hopefully help?.

Old 07-29-2010 | 02:28 PM
Theakerr
Tourer

I got fed up with losing air when I tried to put the pressure guage on and I made myself a screw on zero loss pressure guage. Similar to the one Harley sells for checking shocks but used a guage that lets me let pressure out (similar to the accuguage someone has suggested). For actual checking I put the bike on the centre stand (Probably the best aftermarket addition i have made) and lay down on my side.

Old 07-29-2010 | 03:03 PM
gmc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PWFD
Just picked one of these up over the noon hour: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

With the 90' angle this should hopefully help?.
If you have to add air while on a trip you still are going to want a valve stem extension since most air hoses have a straight air chuck on them. You can bend the valve some but it's still a PITA and those rotors get hot real fast.

Old 07-29-2010 | 03:19 PM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by gmc
If you have to add air while on a trip you still are going to want a valve stem extension since most air hoses have a straight air chuck on them. You can bend the valve some but it's still a PITA and those rotors get hot real fast.
Good point, I've always checked my cycle's pressure while at home before I ride. I can imagine between the rotors and exhaust it wouldn't be an area I want to fart around in too long...

Old 07-29-2010 | 03:30 PM
yljkt
Banned

Just pop off the right saddlebag. Then u can see where the valve is, and push the bike forward or back to get to the stem easier.

Old 07-29-2010 | 03:40 PM
hogrider09
Tourer

Originally Posted by gmc

I have an 09 FLHT, pictured with laced wheels. The front is pretty easy. I have a check a guage and its fine. The rear is a pain. I take my right bag off. There are many times I have to hold the guage valve and then fill it it. I have the valve forn the wheel in the up position. Next tire replacement will be a 90, at least for the rear. A locking valve like listed above fropm a pike pump would be great. The laced wheels are trouble at times. If I didnt have the Brembo brakes, I think it would be easier.

Last edited by hogrider09; 07-29-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2010 | 03:49 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

I put the bike on the lift, then remove the rear wheel........

Old 07-29-2010 | 05:00 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fleabite
I put the bike on the lift, then remove the rear wheel........

Fleabite,

You are no good, hehehe

Quick Reply: Checking air in rear tire... Any Tricks??