Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "search" function saved me $$$!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 AM
rogerfromco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "search" function saved me $$$!

I am getting ready for a Saddle Sore 1k ride the 3rd weekend in August and was trying to figure out how to get a GPS at a decent price so guess what - I used the SEARCH function, learned a lot, and saved myself a bundle of $$$! Love this place!!!

I saw all types of suggestions for the Zumos and other waterproof GPSs, but also heard about some of their problems and the costs ($500-$1000). Then I saw some of the people just using car GPSs and rubber banding a ziploc over them in the rain without any issues.

I have a old Garmin Nuvi 350 so I searched that and saw several members had been using them for years with no problems. So then I go off site to look at how I could enter the route since you can't import a route on that model. Found I could just save the turns as "Favorites" and basically have the route pre-entered by major turns (saved with the nomenclature "1 - Livermore, CO, 2 - Laramie, WY, 3 - Ryan Park, WY, etc.).

Then back on HDForums for figuring out the best mounting system. Looked at the RAM mounts with and without an Aqua Box, saw some cheap plastic handlebar mounts that look like they were made for a bicycle, found these guys who sell both of those and more, but ended up with a simple solid metal bar mount from Motomount for $36 including shipping. Again, a great value and very functional.

I tested out the MP3 player on the Nuvi last night and plugged it into the Aux port. Music plays well and the voice directions preempt the music through the bike speakers when a turn comes up. I have a cigarette charger for the Nuvi so I'll have power for it the whole way. Once the mount gets here I'll experiment with Ziploc sizes and rubber bands to see what works best there and be good to go.

Just for a little peace of mind, I think I'll just get a retaining clip for the back of the GPS and mount it with some double sided tape and zip tie it to the bars in case something fails during the ride.

Thanks to all those who came before me with these discussions sharing what they have learned and for the SEARCH function for guiding me through it all. This place rocks!!!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 AM
ks6c
Tourer

Good luck on your SS1K, Roger. I just took a buddy on his first Iron Butt, riding Castle Rock, Pueblo, Grand Junction, Brush and home. We made it an in-state so his first would be a little unique.

Be prepared for the heat (it hit 106* in GJ) and stay hydrated!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Get some under aromor underwear you will like and so will your A$$.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Fewe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "search *****" will rejoice!!!!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:22 AM
rogerfromco
Road Master

Originally Posted by ks6c
Good luck on your SS1K, Roger. I just took a buddy on his first Iron Butt, riding Castle Rock, Pueblo, Grand Junction, Brush and home. We made it an in-state so his first would be a little unique.

Be prepared for the heat (it hit 106* in GJ) and stay hydrated!
Sounds like a good ride. I'm planning on taking my camelback for hydration and using the coffee cup holder for a bottle of Gatorade.

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Get some under aromor underwear you will like and so will your A$$.
Already there. I wear them on anything over 300 miles or so. Sometimes less if it's hot outside.

Originally Posted by Fewe
The "search *****" will rejoice!!!!
I know. Thought this might make them happy, but who know I'm sure some of them will find something to rip me on anyway!

Last edited by rogerfromco; 07-28-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:29 AM
drbald1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+ 1 on underarmor.

Have a blast! Plan well...that's the key. It's much more a mind-game than a physical endurance game. It sounds like you're ahead of the curve there, though.

Just did my SS1K from Lexington, KY to Amarillo, TX with my little brother. It was a great ride!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
tenn.vol.
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like a man who has his chit together!! Tenn.Vol.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:05 AM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

The search function usually costs me money in the long run... If I'm searchin, chances are I'm buyin!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLS2FLH
The search function usually costs me money in the long run... If I'm searchin, chances are I'm buyin!
Me too, and now you just encouraged the search *****.....

But on a serious note, good luck, be safe, and enjoy your SS1K!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:42 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Have safe and great ride. Post a review of how it went and things that went as planned and things you'd do different when you do it again.

Quick Reply: The "search" function saved me $$$!